What Are Top Best Software Digital Synths Ever?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATN69 wrote: Dune2, which is capable of additive synthesis.
Is it?

Actually I don't think Dune2 is what the OP is looking for. The wavetable and FM capabilites of Dune are somewhat basic compared to specialized synths like Serum or FM8, in the essence it is a subtractive synth with advanced unison.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Is it?

Actually I don't think Dune2 is what the OP is looking for. The wavetable and FM capabilites of Dune are somewhat basic compared to specialized synths like Serum or FM8, in the essence it is a subtractive synth with advanced unison.
In Dune2 you get all in one for a cost that is much less compared to buying for example FM8+Serum. I have Dune2, Serum and FM8 and all though FM8 so I know those are more specialized with more capabilities. But all though been working with sound design and synths for the past 35+ years I never became friend with FM8. Serum is more nice to work with. Dune2 is easy. Absynth, another synth from NI is a pure nightmare to work with. Massive is fine.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

My favourites: Zebra, Serum, Alchemy, Bazille and (most of all) Phosphor.

This thread is one of those where you get twice as many different answers as you have participants.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Fri May 06, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edited, due to above poster's subsequent edit of his post...
Last edited by Doug1978 on Sat May 07, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATN69 wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Is it?

In Dune2 you get all in one for a cost that is much less compared to buying for example FM8+Serum. I have Dune2, Serum and FM8 and all though FM8 so I know those are more specialized with more capabilities. But all though been working with sound design and synths for the past 35+ years I never became friend with FM8. Serum is more nice to work with. Dune2 is easy. Absynth, another synth from NI is a pure nightmare to work with. Massive is fine.
FM8 and Serum are more in-depth synths in a particular field. Dune2 is more of an all-in-one synth, but it lacks depth in particular fields. FM is completely editable (on all levels) in FM8. As is wavetable synthesis in Serum. Dune2 won't allow one for that kind of editing. Good all-rounder though.

FM - OXE
AD - microTERA
PD - PLASTICZ
WT - Z3TA+ 1
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

do_androids_dream wrote:It depends by what criteria you measure it. Most well known? Most popular? Personal favourites? The only softsynth I'ved ever used that comes close to the sound of a DX range synth is Bigtick Rhino (please don't mention FM7/8 - sounds nothing like a DX!). That makes it one of the best ever for me.
In fairness, I like Dexed better than I ever did FM7. :D

lolilol1975 wrote:This thread is one of those where you get twice as many different answers as you have participants.
But this thread is very helpful nonetheless. I learn something new for different points of views. 8)

Serum has proven to be one of the most powerful synths I have laid my hands on. The fx rack - modular - makes it very flexible

Just generally, MuX tends to end up doing everything... pretty much.

Return to “Instruments”