Kontakt is crap!!!!!!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kontakt for me is like what Internet Explorer once was among browsers, dominant, it's a standard, everyone uses it, but you know things can be better.
I've noticed that many companies in the last 2 years started to offer their libraries in SFZ format or to convert their older libraries into SFZ as well, those that can work as SFZ. When you have sound library that can work as SFZ it makes Kontakt to look like a bloatware when compared to Sforzando, Zampler, etc.
That's the main problem with Kontakt, for simple libraries it looks like a bloatware, it's like using Jumbo Jet to transport 10 passengers.
You can't really blame Kontakt, but developers for using a complex thing for simple things and this irrationality and disproportion is probably what pisses off many people. That's why I converted many sound libraries to SFZ for my needs or Directwave since I use FLS.

brainzistor wrote: When you have sound library that can work as SFZ it makes Kontakt to look like a bloatware when compared to Sforzando, Zampler, etc.
Apples, Oranges.

Meanwhile, you say 'bloat' and the rest of the world says 'useful functionality'.

Notwithstanding the fact that sfz format is basically lacking in the ability to define instrument behaviour. It can describe it, but it cant define any; only the sfz player can do that, and they're all different.
And its only sfz a descriptive format, but its not even prescriptive; there's no guarantee that a given player can actually implement the stuff an sfz library requires.

Oh, and double-notwithstanding the fact that Kontakt loads sfz in the first place. :roll:
You can't really blame Kontakt, but developers for using a complex thing for simple things
Except of course, that the majority of Kontakt developers are using Kontakt for complex things, things that a descriptive format like sfz just cant handle.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

From a ease of creation stand point, Kontakt is the best thing I've seen for making instruments. Drop samples in, tell it to auto arrange by note name, kick up the scripts I use, find a picture, release the instrument. I admire my buddy DSmolkin and other SFZ creators, but I kind of view it as going back to Dos from Windows. While windows has issues, I'm not going to mess with config.sys and autoexec.bat to make my games run. You go ahead.

bigcat1969 wrote:From a ease of creation stand point, Kontakt is the best thing I've seen for making instruments.
An Instrument Rack full of Simplers works really easily too (if you have Live). Once you have a template it's just a matter of swapping the samples over. :)

whyterabbyt wrote: Apples, Oranges.
Meanwhile, you say 'bloat' and the rest of the world says 'useful functionality'.
I like how you pulled one sentence out of my post to write meaningless crap that has nothing to do with anything I wrote.

"Useful functionality"? What that has anything to do with:
1. Take orchestral snares out of Sonokinetic's Da Capo and make 10MB sound library (3-4 RR's, 3-4 velocity layers) for FPC that uses zero system resources or
2. Load up Kontakt that uses around 400MB of RAM just for showing up and uses 5 times more CPU than FPC to do the same thing?
Stop writing meaningless arguments.

I was clearly talking about how Kontakt for this kind of stuff is a bloatware and you reply with how it's "useful functionality". Are you replying to me or arguing with yourself?
You took one my sentence and put it completely out of context to write some crap arguments.
Notwithstanding the fact that sfz format is basically lacking in the ability to define instrument behaviour. It can describe it, but it cant define any; only the sfz player can do that, and they're all different.
And its only sfz a descriptive format, but its not even prescriptive; there's no guarantee that a given player can actually implement the stuff an sfz library requires.
You are obviously not arguing with me nor replying to my post, you are arguing with yourself because I was very clear and not pitching sfz vs Kontakt anywhere, but rather talking about that using Kontakt for simple things is an overkill and I think that only absolute moron can't spot the difference between using Kontakt for this and sfz and other samplers.
Oh, and double-notwithstanding the fact that Kontakt loads sfz in the first place. :roll:
Yeah, take things out of context, put words into someone's mouth and keep arguing with yourself.

Except of course, that the majority of Kontakt developers are using Kontakt for complex things, things that a descriptive format like sfz just cant handle.
Majority of Kontakt developers are using Kontakt because it became a standard, over 90% Kontakt sound libraries ever created don't use any single advanced capabilities of Kontakt and can be played as sfz.

Two months later you wander back to pick a fight? Fine you hate Kontakt. You want all developers to make instruments something other than Kontakt. That something may or may not be SFZ which according to you can accommodate 90% of the instruments made with Kontakt and all their features.

Well make this one in any non-Kontakt instrument creator you choose friend...
http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... organ.html

Or this replicate this drumkit from EvilDragon in a non-kontakt manner...
http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... ction.html

Let us know how they come out.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”