Q/FR: MPowerSynth Filter Resonances

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In MPowerSynth all the Filter resonance and resonance range values are all show as % vlaues. I think that they are % of an octave.

Here are a few examples:

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/QSzfITL.png

If so, wouldn't it be better if they were shown as octave values directly?

Or, perhaps, both the Cut-off Frequency and Resonances and their ranges should all be in semitones?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I don't think resonance can be counted in frequency amounts it should be an 'amplitude' value, so a % of the maximum here, and I think there's a typo in the help
"Resonance by velocity
(..)For example, if this is +30% and filter resonance parameter is 40%, then for a note with minimum velocity the filter resonance will be 40% octaves."

^^^
Read that as "40% of an octave". That is 4.8 semitones, by the way, which is why I suggested using that unit.

On the other hand, if an amplitude scale is used, what would that maximum be?
Inspired by ...

No, I mean this peak is a resonance https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... onance.PNG and when we edit the resonance value we adjust the amplitude of this peak, why would we be counting it in intervals at all.
The maximum amplitude value would be as it is now, 0-100% of some internal MPS value that we will never see.

Resonance is usually specified in its specific scale, but that would be extremely inefficient for the whole set of filters with different ranges, so it is percents. That's just how it is :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

OK. From what you have said, the different filters have different ranges.

So does 40% just mean 40% of some internally-defined value (as pone suggested)? Was my interpretation of "40% octaves" as 40% of an octave correct? Does that just mean that, for that specific filter, the range is +/-a number of octaves? For ranges like that I am much more used to thinking of semitones (and cents) rather than % of an octave.

I think that it was the reference to octaves (as in the help text than pone posted) that made me think that the resonance was some percentage of that unit.
Inspired by ...

Not really, I actually don't know right now. There will definitely be some conversion, but it will probably some inversion or something.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”