A little game: How fast is your startup?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1 min, 1 sec, ready to go. I have 2 layers of anti-virus/anti-malware though. And I'm about to add the last thing I can do to my PC before a new motherboard - a SSD.

16:37:22 up 346 days, 4:32, 2 users, load average: 5.28, 2.45, 1.31. 1.02

So... I dunno.

Put into perspective (My very old desktop is stronger but for years I've found myself essentially relying on this lil, simple HP2000 'notebook' for virtually everything, so...yeah...):
CPU: AMD "Vision" E-300 APU w/ Radeon HD graphics, dual-core, 1.3Ghz (yes, really)
RAM: 4Gb
run-of-the-mill 320GB HD

After a crapload of cleaning w/ various tools (as I'm wont to do), re-booting, re-loading a number of things so that prefetch has hold of them, etc., blah, blah... loading my browser again on a handful of select sites I frequent, then re-booting again what I get is this:

Time from power on to desktop: 1min, 25secs
Time until (after anti-virus, Avast! and, ugh! grrr!, Windows' Action Center is finally done and loaded) programs are responsively launched: an additional 35secs
So, fully usable desktop = 2mins.

From first launch of first program until ability to fully utilize said program (in this case Firefox with immediately navigating to Facebook via a Speed Dial add-on and waiting until FB is done loading): Additional 25secs.
Loading Reaper instead and plopping in a VSTi (Dexed) and ready to fire: Additional 12 secs.

This basically brings me to - From power on til actual full force use: Around about 2 1/2 mins.

Not too horrific for an old and little, simple notebook. More so since even on such a modest machine I've usually very little regard to how much CPU is being used as I use old and very CPU-lite plugs (I'm big on Synth1, Charlatan, PG-8X, OBXD, mda and Kjaerhus plugs, and so on). Even 12-16 track projects, and I'm not certain I even understand using that many tracks let alone many more...this lil CPU usually uses little more than around about 30% of it's capacity. RAM used rarely approaches more than around about 1G.
In essence stuff I do and consider anything approaching 'finished' even with the "power" of this machine is, like, 25% CPU and about 1GB of RAM used. But, again, (as I've stated repeatedly elsewhere), I think the synth soundtracks to b and z-grade movies from the mid-80s, like Future-Kill or The Vindicator or Creepazoids, to sound "professional" to me...so... :shrug:
Hrm...there's no 'dunce cap' smiley. Ah, well. Imagine it. :)

During the times I've experimented with various with (lite) Linux distros (Lubuntu and the like), time from power on to fully usable desktop was no better and no worse. It was also about 2 mins. A little bitty bit less used on idle with CPU, but much less RAM (Win7 on idle is about 700-800Mg whereas Linux would be around about 200-300Mg).
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Numanoid wrote:Compared to turning on a hardware synth, I reckon 20 seconds is faster than them?
The Roland FA-06 is ready for use after 7 seconds :)

My MacMini mid-2011 (i5, 8GB, El Capitan) takes a few minutes before being ready to work. It takes a minute or two to boot and then, after logging in, it takes a lot to load the whole midi setup (there are a few devices attached) and to connect to the nas. After that, it's fast enough for my needs, it doesn't take much to load Cubase (a few seconds) but it takes a while (at least 15-20 seconds?) to open a song, mainly because of Maschine (which is part of my default template).

If the whole process didn't require some manual intervention (enter password, wait for everything to load correctly, start Cubase, open a song), I would have enough time to go to the toilet or to have a coffee while the system is loading! :lol:

It's not a recent machine, so I'm ok with that...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

My 2012 MacBookPro takes a few minutes.

Does anyone have definitive instructions for disabling unnecessary programs auto-loading at boot on OSX 10.9.5?
Things like Adobe updaters, DropBox, NI Hardware monitor (I don't have any NI hardware!) and various browser extensions.

I Googled quite a bit - I've trashed .kexts and .plist files for most 3rd-part programs, and disabled autostart in System Preferences for the programs that have it. But they're still loading and contributing to kerneld load.

Much easier to do on Windows!

Winstontaneous wrote:My 2012 MacBookPro takes a few minutes.

Does anyone have definitive instructions for disabling unnecessary programs auto-loading at boot on OSX 10.9.5?
Things like Adobe updaters, DropBox, NI Hardware monitor (I don't have any NI hardware!) and various browser extensions.

I Googled quite a bit - I've trashed .kexts and .plist files for most 3rd-part programs, and disabled autostart in System Preferences for the programs that have it. But they're still loading and contributing to kerneld load.

CleanMyMac

my macbook pro 2009 late is get ready for ±15 sec

sin night wrote:My MacMini mid-2011 (i5, 8GB, El Capitan) takes a few minutes before being ready to work. It takes a minute or two to boot
My condolences. :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDf2ksU_8Xc
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

danch wrote:

CleanMyMac
Do you use CleanMyMac?

Further Mac annoyance - why does a program like this cost $40 when CCleaner on Windows does pretty much the same for free? :help:

Winstontaneous wrote:Further Mac annoyance - why does a program like this cost $40 when CCleaner on Windows does pretty much the same for free? :help:
If you have a possibility to change to SSD harddrive that will make a BIG difference.

More effective than doubling RAM, or using ccleaner

About a minute from power off to working in Reaper with my default template (which is very simple). About 90 seconds for the mastering template (lots of Acustica Audio plugins and Nebula instances pre-loaded).

i7 latest gen + tweaked windows 7 64bit + Samsung 950 SSD.

If I had windows 8.1 or 10 I guess the time to boot would be a lot faster but I'm still stuck on 7 because that's what seems to work for me. Running windows 8.1 on my DAW laptop though.. but that dog of a system has crappy HD. :(

My Mac mini (latest gen) takes absolutely forever to boot up and get working in Logic X. It's horrible.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Last edited by Zexila on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Challenge with MacMini stuff being hard wired in a small space, difficult for a user to do mods

incubus wrote:Literally seconds. SSD is a real honest-to-goodness game changer. I haven't got my stopwatch out, but it's so fast it's scary.
bump :hihi:

I put my 2fiddy SSD in my older computer and though not "quite" as fast as this, still maybe a total of 12-13 seconds?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”