HDD Transfer - what licenses/plugins to deactivate before?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm finally switching to an SSD and want to basically clone my existing hard drive so that everything will be as it was after the transfer is complete. As far as I know there are certain license models/copy protections that 'won't accept' simply cloning the HDD, i.e. the plugins wouldn't work because they think the license was 'illegitimate'.

Waves and iLok (Soundtoys, AIR, etc.) are two license schemes that I heard of that would be affected, so I'll de-activate those licenses on my existing HDD before I put the SSD in my computer, and then I'd simply activate them manually.

Now my question: are there any other companies/copy protections that I require de-activating as well (in particular NI, Plugin Alliance, Cakewalk, Melda, iZotope, Ohmforce)? Or would those be so 'generous' to keep working?

I'm on MacOS X/Macbook Pro and planning to just use time machine's 1:1/back up functionality (plus a USB-stick to boot from).

Any help, experiences, or concerns are much appreciated - thanks for the help, guys!

I don't think any would be affected by switching the hard disk. I have an external disk that I use for testing OS updates and I can't recall losing any activations (Live, iLok, KORG, NI, Cakewalk) when I migrated my data over to new installs on it. Most, if not all, protections will primarily use the NIC's MAC address as a means of locking licences to a machine. I don't think any would use the hard disk.

If it's a straight clone from old to new you can also use Disk Utility's restore feature to clone the old disk to the new one. That's how I usually do it.

Update: After I did a fresh install of 10.11.5 last night and migrated over my data from 10.10.5, Live asked to be authorised. This is probably because of the change in OS version.
Last edited by sprnva on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melodyne can only be deactivated within the plugin (at least Editor V2). FxPansion can be deactivated via their authorization software thing. Waves and ilok license should probably be moved to the cloud. Rob papen ones can be deactivated from your online user account I believe. Same for plugin alliance (or is it plugin boutique. Can't remember) Not sure if you actually need to but I wouldn't gamble :)
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Melodyne can only be deactivated within the plugin (at least Editor V2). FxPansion can be deactivated via their authorization software thing. Waves and ilok license should probably be moved to the cloud. Rob papen ones can be deactivated from your online user account I believe. Same for plugin alliance (or is it plugin boutique. Can't remember) Not sure if you actually need to but I wouldn't gamble :)
Plugin alliance has a number limit posted on your account online(usually 3 each plugin). You can also deactivate, if you have to, online. So if you have any extra licenses, you're good. If you need to deactivate, you can do that online, post move also. The free ones have a limit of around 50 activations.

there's no gambling involved ........ after you clone the original HDD, presumably the smart thing to do is set it aside and not throw it away. If there's any issues just boot from the original disk again and address them. when you're certain everything is fine, write over the original HDD - presuming you need or want to.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”