Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

werp wrote:Regarding software sizes. Would you rather have a complete game on a 512 floppy or a key for a download on a dvd?
Shit just gets bigger. Deal with it.
You're talking about something different. In a game having a more realistic look will do a better job of immersing the player in the game. Giant texture maps can do that, but as a game developer I can tell you that we're constantly conscious of keeping those numbers as low as we can. Lot's of tricks are used to get the most bang for our buck. No one wants a long download or to use up the drive on their mobile device on a single game.

No one complains about Omnisphere 2, because we all understand that high quality samples are the texture maps of the sample based synth world and good ones will make a huge difference. We'd rather they be tiny, but we see the benefit of using up memory for them.

The complaints I have about the new UIs stem from some very sloppy development. Lots of things could be 9 sliced. A trick where just the corners are created at full res, and the center bit where nothing is going on is just a single pixel that gets stretched to fit whatever size is needed. Resources should be shared. They could make one style of mod matrix and use it for all the collection, but instead each one seems to have it's own. Same with keys. Nine slice them and make one master key resource file and have all the synths use it. Screw big gradients unless you do a single pixel column and stretch it horizontally. Do the knobs on the MiniV need to be different than the knobs on the Moog ModularV? No. Hell, they could be used on a lot of the synths and few would notice and even fewer would care.

The thing is, none of what they did makes the UI any better, and in some cases it actually makes it worse. Maybe you have a moment of "aaaah" when you first load up a photorealistic looking plug in, but after 15 seconds you're just focused on the sound and functionality. Make a nice 3d rendering and put it on your about/splash screen for that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Do some a/b tests that feature osc 3 modulating the filter cut off. It's clear the new one does a lot better.
Yeah, will do that.

Probably at the weekend, side by side, in-depth, all important features.

(The preset i transferred didnt use VCO3 modulation. But ive already found that the modulation is still reversed for the VCOs, i.e. SawUp ramps VCO1/2 pitch downwards and SawDown ramps VCO1/2 pitch upwards. (VCF is OK though.) That bug was introduced over a decade ago with V2. In V1.6 its still fine.)

@Scotty: Great post. I especially liked the 'perfectly objective commentary with little hyperbole' part. :)

(Unbelievable.) :hihi:
Last edited by ENV1 on Thu May 26, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

otristan wrote:Short answer: Related to floating point representation in a computer.
Long answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ ... d_rounding
Thank you. :)

plexuss wrote:you guys are nuts. :D :o :roll: the arturia vintage synths sound very close to the originals. they capture the vibe of their original counterparts. especially the synths. :phones:
Yesterday I put ProphetV up next to ProWave and a Prophet 6 in a little informal test. I loaded up the Prophet 5 preset #17 Sync 1. The ProphetV was fairly close to the Prophet 6... more than I expected, but turn up that resonance and it fell apart. Play a very high note and it aliased galore, but within the normal range of playing, it was pretty good and would definitely work in a mix that someone will post up on Soundcloud or Youtube.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
plexuss wrote:you guys are nuts. :D :o :roll: the arturia vintage synths sound very close to the originals. they capture the vibe of their original counterparts. especially the synths. :phones:
Yesterday I put ProphetV up next to ProWave and a Prophet 6 in a little informal test. I loaded up the Prophet 5 preset #17 Sync 1. The ProphetV was fairly close to the Prophet 6... more than I expected, but turn up that resonance and it fell apart. Play a very high note and it aliased galore, but within the normal range of playing, it was pretty good and would definitely work in a mix that someone will post up on Soundcloud or Youtube.
I dunno man. I'm not hearing any aliasing on the highest possible note my MiniLab can play. That's 2 octaves higher than the highest key in the interface. Some of the presets get some crazy resonances going up in that register, but no aliasing that I can hear. :ud:

artao wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
I dunno man. I'm not hearing any aliasing on the highest possible note my MiniLab can play. That's 2 octaves higher than the highest key in the interface. Some of the presets get some crazy resonances going up in that register, but no aliasing that I can hear. :ud:
I tried +4 octaves and on 48000Hz there is some (minor) aliasing on the plugins. I've seen it happening in analyzers as well. I don't think the plugins use oversampling, or maybe just 1 step (2x). If it were up to me, they would add the possibility to oversample x4 or x8

Yeah. #17 Sync 1 is a pretty growly, distorty sound. I think that in the way upper registers that that aspect of that particular sound just gets out of shape all on it's own. (I tried it at 48khz and 96khz .. 96 certainly sounded better, I'll admit. I'm not so sure that that's aliasing tho. Other presets with a cleaner sound certainly aren't aliasing up there)
But then, I don't have an actual Prophet 5 to compare it to ;)

artao wrote:Yeah. #17 Sync 1 is a pretty growly, distorty sound. I think that in the way upper registers that that aspect of that particular sound just gets out of shape all on it's own. (I tried it at 48khz and 96khz .. 96 certainly sounded better, I'll admit. I'm not so sure that that's aliasing tho. Other presets with a cleaner sound certainly aren't aliasing up there)
But then, I don't have an actual Prophet 5 to compare it to ;)
I have tried a clean (init) saw and pulse to test it (prophet, arp, mini, modular). There is defo aliasing going on. But it is only there in the highest registers. Practically i don't care that much; plenty of good synths with some proper oversample settings to eliminate that enough. But if arturia want to improve their synths, adding oversampling would be a good one :)

Over here, i got some examples of clean 24 bit waves @ 48000Hz:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6e ... 735/eb449e

Found first bug outside of the "can't type capital letters" into the patch name.

When saving a patch within a multi on the voices page, Matrix 12 Spazzes out. Voices start going off. Even midi reset doesn't stop it. Have to exit out of patch. Patch that you attempted to save doesn't save. So if you want to create multi presets, you have to create your singles first, then pull up a blank multi and load them in.

artao wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
It's pretty clear. Load up a lone triangle wave listen to it at C8. It's well within the range of average human hearing and even if you don't play notes in that range harmonics will easily be generated there. It's not happening in the Prophet 6, that's for sure.
Zerocrossing Media

Scotty wrote:Exactly. I have heard enough from self-ascribed world class coders, graphic experts and audio professionals with their scant 64 GB SSD drives and paradoxically well endowed and bloviated egos. Lets talk about the sound. This is getting ridiculous
Apparently the people arent even close to completing their analysis yet. Unbelievble that majority of us just wanted bigger UIs from Arturia and now that they are here it's still not good enough.

I'm certain that through life experience, this type of attitude we are seeing from these 'experts' is something they will outgrow eventually.... They just need to turn that fine grained critical thinking of theirs toward themselves and realise how much self improvement there is to be done.

Synclavier V and Modular V are my favourites.

If you hear Aliasing at 44.1 or 48khz here's what you could possibly do. You could write your parts out at 96khz 24bit in a separate project and then export and dither them down to whatever your preferred project rate is. Sure real-time synthesis is fun, but sometimes you have to do this kind of stuff. If you know what you want and have good production methods, then it probably won't f**king matter in the end to the listener. Unless of course you write music for people who use spectrum analyzer and point out flaws in your production, then I don't know :shrug:

I used to be of the group who would gripe about "aliasing" like it was the devil. Eventually I found that it doesn't matter, unless you make it really f**king obvious and don't realize how the added harmonics f**k with your overall mix. The most important thing you should be concerned about is whether or not the "sound" tells the story you want it to or not. Other than that who cares if it isn't 100%.

I don't understand the OCD like obsession people have when it comes to emulations. I mean it's just another means to an end in the grand scheme of things. Take the product for what it does well and leave it at that. If you want super accurate analog emulation stuff then stop browsing KVR, go to your local music store and buy a real analog synthesizer.

Just my 2Cents

They do sound nice as just your above average VA synthesizer, but if you stare at the photorealistic GUI and expect it to sound like the real deal then you are shit out of luck. I think the look has some kind of psychological effect on people, I'm not sure but it's very possible..

I imagine Arturia would have gotten WAY less flack for the sound of these if they had went with a GUI like Togu does for their products.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:If you hear Aliasing at 44.1 or 48khz here's what you could possibly do. You could write your parts out at 96khz 24bit in a separate project and then export and dither them down to whatever your preferred project rate is. Sure real-time synthesis is fun, but sometimes you have to do this kind of stuff. If you know what you want and have good production methods, then it probably won't f**king matter in the end to the listener. Unless of course you write music for people who use spectrum analyzer and point out flaws in your production, then I don't know :shrug:

I used to be of the group who would gripe about "aliasing" like it was the devil. Eventually I found that it doesn't matter, unless you make it really f**king obvious and don't realize how the added harmonics f**k with your overall mix. The most important thing you should be concerned about is whether or not the "sound" tells the story you want it to or not. Other than that who cares if it isn't 100%.

I don't understand the OCD like obsession people have when it comes to emulations. I mean it's just another means to an end in the grand scheme of things. Take the product for what it does well and leave it at that. If you want super accurate analog emulation stuff then stop browsing KVR, go to your local music store and buy a real analog synthesizer.

Just my 2Cents

They do sound nice as just your above average VA synthesizer, but if you stare at the photorealistic GUI and expect it to sound like the real deal then you are shit out of luck. I think the look has some kind of psychological effect on people, I'm not sure but it's very possible..

I imagine Arturia would have gotten WAY less flack for the sound of these if they had went with a GUI like Togu does for their products.
Bless you. The voice of reason.

V0RT3X wrote:If you hear Aliasing at 44.1 or 48khz here's what you could possibly do. You could write your parts out at 96khz 24bit in a separate project and then export and dither them down to whatever your preferred project rate is. Sure real-time synthesis is fun, but sometimes you have to do this kind of stuff. If you know what you want and have good production methods, then it probably won't f**king matter in the end to the listener. Unless of course you write music for people who use spectrum analyzer and point out flaws in your production, then I don't know :shrug:

Just my 2Cents

wow...chill :) lighten up :)

check my post:

"Practically i don't care that much; plenty of good synths with some proper oversample settings to eliminate that enough. But if arturia want to improve their synths, adding oversampling would be a good one :) "

Yes, there is aliasing, no, i don't care about that practically, yes, i will keep using arturia stuff and if they want to improve stuff, they could add oversampling. That's all

Yo I'm chill, maybe my overuse of expletives made me seem upset, but I'm not. Anyways I'm out on this debate lol, I need to get back to some non-electronic music stuff aka work.
:borg:

Return to “Instruments”