Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've taken the following steps to try and solve this issue:

PLAN #1: Setup ASIO4ALL
-------------------------------
Since I have separate devices for input and output, I went to:

MULAB --> Audio Setup (ASIO, ASIO4ALL v2, 44100hz) --> Control Panel

I selected my USB microphone as the ASIO input and turned off the ASIO output. I saw the the meters were working and mike was live, so I recorded. I then went back to the Audio Setup and selected my output device. The instrument tracks played fine, but the recorded audio was sputtering and choppy and unusable. In comparison, with Audacity, I am able to use both devices at the same time under MME, Windows DirectSound, and WASAPI.

PLAN #2: Setup Jack for Windows
-----------------------------------------
I followed the instructions to download the 64bit version, which--for some reason--installs in x86 (I think it is 32bit acting like 64bit?). I started the server as recommended, which appears to use ASIO4ALL (???)

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack>jackd.exe -R -S -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2"
I saw this:

Code: Select all

jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame. (etc.)
Drivers/internals found in : C:\WINDOWS
Drivers/internals found in : C:\WINDOWS
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
InitTime : multimedia timer resolution set to 1 milliseconds
So, it started even though Windows 10 is not listed explicitly on the webpage. Nice. I restarted MuLab but did not see JackRouter in my choices, just ASIO4ALL.

I'd welcome suggestions on how to get this working.

I'd also like to know what audio interfaces and microphones other people are using.

d.vyd wrote:I've taken the following steps to try and solve this issue:
PLAN #1: Setup ASIO4ALL
-------------------------------
Since I have separate devices for input and output
That's far from an ideal situation.
I went to:
MULAB --> Audio Setup (ASIO, ASIO4ALL v2, 44100hz) --> Control Panel
Note that when you open the Control Panel of Asio4All you're in Asio4All area and i can't give support on Asio4All. Please note that Asio4All is not a MuTools product, if you need support on Asio4All please go to the Asio4All website. This is also mentioned on http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/audio-setup.html
I selected my USB microphone as the ASIO input and turned off the ASIO output. I saw the the meters were working and mike was live, so I recorded. I then went back to the Audio Setup and selected my output device. The instrument tracks played fine, but the recorded audio was sputtering and choppy and unusable.
Did you try playing back the recorded audio file in another audio player eg VLC? Does it play fine there? What we need to know is: Is the 'sputtering' in the recording itself or is the recording ok and is the sputtering only in playing it back?
PLAN #2: Setup Jack for Windows
MuLab does not have direct support for Jack. MuLab only supports ASIO and MME. ASIO is strongly recommended above MME. And if you need audio input then ASIO is the only option.
If there are ways to route Jack to Asio then fine, but Jack is something out of my control.

d.vyd wrote:I'd also like to know what audio interfaces and microphones other people are using.
Me personally i'm currenly using a Roland Duo Capture Ex. Very happy about it, can recommend it.

d.vyd wrote:I'd also like to know what audio interfaces and microphones other people are using.
At home I use a bad Realtek onboard sound card :hihi: but it works well :)
no microphone, just some instruments and a mixer.
I am on windows 7 with asio4all driver.

Just to get back on the Jack issue.

Make sure you used the "Mixed" installer (not the 32bit installer). (I can't be sure where it installs by default as I have mine in "D:\Program Files\Jack".)

- You should have qjackctl.exe installed along with Jack
- You should have both 32bit and 64bit versions of JackRouter.dll installed along with Jack

If you don't have them, check you installed everything correctly.

Then, as explicitly stated on the Jack for Windows page, you need to register the JackRouter DLLs, otherwise they won't be made available to applications.

Once you've set up correctly, run QJackCtl, make sure "Driver" is "portaudio" and see what's visible under Input and Output devices. At worst, picking "MME Sound Mapper" devices for input and output should then allow you to use Windows control panel to select the input and output devices available.

Then (and with JACK running - and not before this point) start MuLab and go into Audio Setup. If JackRouter is installed correctly (see above), it will be listed. If it isn't listed, it wasn't installed correctly. Set it as your audio device and make sure you have two channels of input and output selected. Then make sure you can hear stuff from MuLab. Finally make sure MuLab can hear stuff from the mic.

Thank you for all the recommendations. I'm away from my computer this weekend but will check the recorded audio in another player to identify whether the MuLab issue occurs during recording or playback.

If I were to purchase a new audio interface for use with MuLab, are some brands known to offer better ASIO drivers?

I see there are some affordable interfaces, like Steinberg UR22, that can record and play at 24bit 192hz. Can MuLab record and play through such an interface at that depth/rate? I ask because I believe a signal like that would provide more tolerance for time stretching and processing without unwanted noise/artifacts--correct?

-d.vyd

d.vyd wrote:If I were to purchase a new audio interface for use with MuLab, are some brands known to offer better ASIO drivers?
There definitely is a difference in quality between drivers. So taking driver quality into account when deciding for an audio device certainly is a right thing. I'm very happy about the audio device i mentioned, also about its driver. And it's low budget. So quality/price balance is high. And Roland has long time experience with audio hardware. And it works perfectly with MuLab.
I see there are some affordable interfaces, like Steinberg UR22, that can record and play at 24bit 192hz. Can MuLab record and play through such an interface at that depth/rate?
I can't say anything about the device itself. Yes MuLab supports that bit depth and samplerate though personally i think 192 kHz is exagerated. It will eat lots of extra CPU while gaining almost nothing.
I believe a signal like that would provide more tolerance for time stretching and processing without unwanted noise/artifacts--correct?
In some cases a higher samplerate can indeed reduce/prevent aliasing artifacts. But that (=oversampling) should be rather done in the specific module itself, not by using a superhigh overall samplerate. Note that 192 kHz audio engine samplerate will use 4 times as much CPU as when using 48 kHz.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions. I decided to return the USB microphone. I'm investigating new audio interfaces. In the meantime, I'm learning more about mulab.

-d.vyd

Return to “MUTOOLS”