BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

KK959 wrote:Hi Greywolf,

Thank you for your hints :)

I tested BlueAPR with the following settings :

1. I play BlueAPR live and use VSTHOST (http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm) to host it.
2. The 'in quantize' of BlueAPR is set to 'none' as I want to make BlueAPR as responsive as possible.

3. The 'Wave Device' buffer of VSTHOST is set to 160 samples, and the ASIO4ALL driver buffer is set to 96 samples.

Refering to your hints, I found that the bug occurs only when the 'in quantize' is set to 'none'.
When the 'in quantize' is NOT set to 'none', the bug disappeared.
I think in.quantize = 1/16 will be the best option for you. When set to none, it's just the way it works. When you release the chord a little later, when the next step already started, bluearp generates notes for this next step. It doesnt "know", that you are going to release the keys in few milliseconds.

Using non-chord notes in non-accented positions?

I think it would be nice feature in Bluearp if it were possible to use non-harmonic pitches (like d (62) in C-major chord (60,64,67)) in non-accented position. I think there is no such feature available in any arpeggiator - but human musicians use this kind of 'enhanced' arpeggios or patterns very regularly.

Example:
Without this feature:
With this feature:

I made simple test with UVI-Falcon uviscript and attached the code also. If interested see this forum post:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6395280

I believe, it would be easy to add this feature to Bluearp, because it allready knows a) The position in bar, b) The scale and c) current chord. For simplicity it could maybe assumed that 'accent' is on quaternotes? Or maybe user could give the accentuation pattern?

:phones:

For German speakers - translation of BlueARP manual made by Jan Dziock:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/m/Blu ... 222_DE.pdf

Thank you for your work, Jan!

DARTelectronicMUSIC wrote:

I think it would be nice feature in Bluearp if it were possible to use non-harmonic pitches (like d (62) in C-major chord (60,64,67)) in non-accented position. I think there is no such feature available in any arpeggiator - but human musicians use this kind of 'enhanced' arpeggios or patterns very regularly.

Example:
Without this feature:
With this feature:

I made simple test with UVI-Falcon uviscript and attached the code also. If interested see this forum post:

I believe, it would be easy to add this feature to Bluearp, because it allready knows a) The position in bar, b) The scale and c) current chord. For simplicity it could maybe assumed that 'accent' is on quaternotes? Or maybe user could give the accentuation pattern?
Didn't quite get it. Is it be the same as changing scales on the fly?
Can you record some musical example to get the idea?

What I was thinking about last weeks is the ability to shange a scales on the fly while keeping the same pattern. There are many songs that do kind of switch scales. For example, Depeche Mode "Enjoy the Silence". It starts in Cminor and then goes to D#minor ("...break the silence").

graywolf2004 wrote:What I was thinking about last weeks is the ability to shange a scales on the fly while keeping the same pattern. There are many songs that do kind of switch scales.
I use this technique with another program that lets you assign different scales to "parts."

Hi Oleg. Any idea when the next update will be available? :tu:
Opax

Opax wrote:Hi Oleg. Any idea when the next update will be available? :tu:
Just a few munutes. Sorry for delays, it's summer time and I spend less time in front of the computer on weekends )

Update: BlueARP v2.2.2

Windows x86/x64 VST:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/2/Blu ... v2.2.2.zip
OSX 32/64bit VST:
OSX MIDI-FX 64bit:

Changes:
1. Extended number of programs to 128, so Opax will be able to fit his great patches into a single bank
2. Added 1/64 sync option
3. Ordered scales in a more logical way, minor/major followed by pentatonic, in case someone will automate this setting
4. Right-clicking "program sequence" allows to select a program from a drop-down menu
5. Manual is excluded from download package, BlueARP opens it online
6. German manual added (translated by Jan Dziock)

NCN - Non-chordal notes in Non-accented position

I try to clarify my idea. This (NCN) is not related to scale changes, but chord changes when playing in one scale (say C Major for example). It is very common, that scale (or key) is not changed during the piece, but normally there are many chord changes.

In every chord/harmony there are 'chordal pitches' - in C-Major chord these pitches are (60,64,67) or (0,4,7).
In addition neighbouring pitches ('sidenotes') are quite suitable to be used in non-accented positions of the bar. These pitches are in C-Major chord (2,5,9).
This means that in ACCENTED position of the bar we may like to use chordal pitches (0,4,7).
and in NON-accented position we may like to use both the chordal pitches and side pitches: (0,2,4,5,7,9).

Accented position means here every quarter note
Non-accented position means those 8th notes, which are not in quaternote. (a,n,a,n,a,n,a,n)

In practice this means, that if we have NCN-feature in arpeggio, we may add some suitable, nice sounding sidenotes to chordal arpeggios, without destroying the sense of chord/harmony or scale. This add interest and variation.

Nowadays all arpeggiators play only the notes, which are played/given by the musician. This NCN feature adds some suitable notes in addition to these notes.

Please listen the demo. Whole note sequence of pitches (C: 48,52, 55,60) (G:55,59,62,67)(am:57,60,64,69) (F: 53,57,60,65), are played in DAW four times.
First four bars are without this feature. After the pause the feature is added incrementally. To my ears at least this makes the arpeggio more interesting.
In the sound demo pitches 84 and 86 are not sounding, but are used as a switch to select NCT on-or-off.

https://soundcloud.com/aaltodoc/nct-demo
Demo of "non accented non chordal notes", so called sidenotes.
Notes which are in the scale, but not actual chordal notes. These are acceptable in non-accented position of the bar.
Chord sequence C G am F is repeated four times:
1. time
-all chordal notes
2. time
-non chordal notes on last half note every 2 bars
3. time
-non chordal notes every second bars
4. time
-non chordal notes every bar

Source code (not very elegant and unfortunately in Falcon Luascript only. Also note, that scale is hardcoded, but if coded in Blue ARP this could be adjusted):

Code: Select all

chordbuffer = {60,60,60,60}
randosel = {0,0}
chordbufferposit = 1
arpposition=1
tick = 0
scaleproto = {0,2,4,5,7,9,11 }
scale = {}
octacounter = 1
octave = 12
scalecounter = 1
nonaccented = 0.5
noterate = 0.5

modeselect = MultiStateButton("SELECTOR", {"HARM", "NCT"})
modeselect:setValue(1)

for octacounter = 2,8 do
	for k,v in ipairs(scaleproto) do
		--print(v)
		scale[scalecounter] = v + (octave * octacounter)
		scalecounter = scalecounter + 1
		end
	end

function findNearestNeighbour(pitch) 
	local diff = 0
	local maxdiff = 9999
	local closestitem
	for k,scalevalue in ipairs(scale) do
		if math.abs(scalevalue - pitch ) < maxdiff then
			maxdiff = math.abs(scalevalue - pitch )
			closestitem = scalevalue
			if maxdiff == 0 then 
				--Next if's use arpposition to select alternatively upper or lower neighbour notes
				--User may find some other selection method more suitable 
				randomselector = randosel[1 + (k %#randosel)]
				print(randomselector)
				if randomselector == 0 then
					closestitem = scale[ k - 1]
				end
				if randomselector == 1 then
					closestitem = scale[ k + 1]
				end	
				print(closestitem)				
			end		
		end
	end
	--print(closestitem)
	return closestitem
end

--Helper function
function round(num, idp)
  local mult = 10^(idp or 0)
  return math.floor(num * mult + 0.5) / mult
end

--Main function, plays notes from chordbuffer (accented position) or neighbour notes (nonaccented position)
function play(period, channel)
local beatposition = 0
local tempo = 1
local integerpart = 0
local accentpos = 0 
tempo = getTempo()
while isNoteHeld() do	
	beatposition  = round(getBeatTime(),2)
	integerpart,accentpos = math.modf(beatposition)
	local note = chordbuffer[arpposition]
	local vel = 64
	local nonaccentedPitch = 0
	if accentpos ~= nonaccented then
		playNote(note , vel, beat2ms(period/4), 0, channel)
		end	
	if accentpos == nonaccented then
		if modeselect.value == 2 then
			nonaccentedPitch = findNearestNeighbour(note)
			end
		if modeselect.value == 1 then
			nonaccentedPitch = note
			end			
		playNote(nonaccentedPitch  , vel, beat2ms(period/4), 0, channel)
		end
	waitBeat(period)
	arpposition = 1 + arpposition  % #chordbuffer
	end
	arpposition = 1
end

function onNote(e)	 
	if e.note < 72 then
		chordbuffer[chordbufferposit] = e.note + 12
		chordbufferposit = 1+chordbufferposit %#chordbuffer
		arpposition = 1
		end
	if e.note == 86 then
		modeselect:setValue(1) 
		play(noterate,1)
		end
	if e.note == 84 then
		modeselect:setValue(2)
		play(noterate,1)
		end
end
[code]
graywolf2004 wrote:
DARTelectronicMUSIC wrote:

Example:
Without this feature:
With this feature:

Didn't quite get it. Is it be the same as changing scales on the fly?
Can you record some musical example to get the idea?

What I was thinking about last weeks is the ability to shange a scales on the fly while keeping the same pattern. There are many songs that do kind of switch scales. For example, Depeche Mode "Enjoy the Silence". It starts in Cminor and then goes to D#minor ("...break the silence").

Thanks for the update!

BlueARP has become an integral part of my virtual studio as my step sequencer, so I sent a donation. Thanks again for such a well executed tool and have a nice summer!

.jon wrote:Thanks for the update!
BlueARP has become an integral part of my virtual studio as my step sequencer, so I sent a donation. Thanks again for such a well executed tool and have a nice summer!
Thank you, I really appreciate this )

update
Those who already downloaded v2.2.2, please download it again (only dll/vst file has changed).
File change date should be 06.06.2016
I missed one GUI bug (right-click popup menu logic for program sequence) and since it's minor I decided not to create a new version.
PS. This is my favourite bug in C++ after years of Delphi - writing "=" instead of "=="

Is there a way to make BlueARP behave like a 'classic' arpeggiator? So the sequence length is determined by the number of notes held.

e.g.

2 notes
1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-etc

3 notes
1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-etc

4 notes
1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-etc

I bought a super cheap Korg Nanocontrol second hand, and today I linked the 8 faders to Scale Step, knobs to Step Type and a row of buttons to toggle velocity between 0 and 127- instant, awesome hardware-style step sequencer!

DARTelectronicMUSIC wrote:NCN - Non-chordal notes in Non-accented position
I try to clarify my idea. This (NCN) is not related to scale changes, but chord changes when playing in one scale (say C Major for example). It is very common, that scale (or key) is not changed during the piece, but normally there are many chord changes...
Thanks for detailed explanation. And sorry for delay, I had to take some time to get into this.
I think it's possible to get the same result with BlueARP using force to scale + scale step transpose for certain steps.
I created a project in FL studio to show this. I guess you don't have FL, in this case you can download BlueARP bank (attached) and re-produce it in your DAW.
Four parts of your demo correspond to chains 1-4 in this bank for BlueARP.

See attached: FL studio project, BlueARP bank.
Non-chordal notes BlueARP.zip
BlueARP_Bank_Non-chordal_notes.zip
And finally, recorded demo:
https://soundcloud.com/graywolf2004ru-1 ... es-bluearp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”