Pretentious Dreck

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the things I love to hate most in music are lyrics that are passed off as meaningful and deep, but are in fact cringe-inducing spasms of pretentious melodramatic angst-laden pap straight out of overwrought indulgences in delusionsal self-importance and profundity (sort of like that last sentence). :D

All of Knights in White Satin (including that god-awful "poem" read against straining strings at the conclusion). :roll:

Most of the Yes output falls into this category. "Time is time in time with your time as is news....is captured for the queen to use. Dittit-dittit-dittit-dittit, etc." Thanks, Jon. That was really metaphorical and deep there. Go back to drinking your bongwater now, k? :tu:

Then there is Meatloaf's touching ballad which is a direct quote from his car. "Objects in the rear-view mirror might appear closer than they are." Wow, Meaty! That's some heavy shit, there brah. I hope Plymouth doesn't sue you for copyright infringement.

Let's kill a real sacred cow, shall we? Stairway to Motherf**cking Heaven. "And if you listen very hard the tune will come to you at last. When all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll." :?

Well, okay so it DOES rhyme. And if you are hanging out on the beach with Jimi and the boys getting high, it might sound like a really nice ending to a song. And after all, someone's BOUND to think it means SOMETHING.

Sometime the artist isn't taking themselves seriously and they are simply trolling the audience. As Bob Dylan said when he wrote a new song, "I wonder what they'll say THIS one means." :evil:

Excellent! :clap:

Let's not crucify this lad too soon--he makes some valid points. And more important, he has a sense of humor about it! :hihi:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

i am 100% on board with this!

this song right here...sends me into an instant rage because its such utter drivel disguised as some kind of deep meaningful, soul touching wisdom. i mean...half the time one line doesnt have any relation to the previous one other than a nonsensical conjunction, and the other half of the time the line just doesnt make any sense.

i hate this song with the searing white hot passion of a thousand suns. i seriously want to hurt people when i hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UeeIAJ0a0
ImageImageImage

Curiously, just yesterday I listened to Nights in White Satin for the first time ever. I was on a retro kick on Spotify, and listened to Your Wildest Dreams, which is the only Moody Blues song I actually know and like. But I had exactly the same reaction to NiWS... What the heck is this pretentious drivel?? It makes me think of Spinal Tap.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

chaosWyrM wrote:i am 100% on board with this!

this song right here...sends me into an instant rage because its such utter drivel disguised as some kind of deep meaningful, soul touching wisdom. i mean...half the time one line doesnt have any relation to the previous one other than a nonsensical conjunction, and the other half of the time the line just doesnt make any sense.

i hate this song with the searing white hot passion of a thousand suns. i seriously want to hurt people when i hear it.
Wow, good one. "And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming, Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies, Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive"

Liek...omigod, it's like he knows my inner soul! That's so, like, all meaningful and stuff. Every day I have tears that don't come that I, like, can't fight. because the my life, is like, like a movie. So, then there's nothing left to do but, like, bleed. At least I have my Starbucks half-caf mocachino with 6 extra pumps! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mostly it's grimdark lyrics that I'm getting tired of. I get it: your soul is in agony, everything is torment, you're eternally cursed, etc. In other words, your girlfriend left you (probably because you're so self-absorbed and pretentious). Have a cookie.

Or Front Line Assembly, who I used to like. War, death, blood, poison, despair, murder, fear, pollution, violence, stepping on Lego bricks, some more war, etc. Now with extra wubwubwub.

I heard this the other day and my ears bled. This is the good stuff: a nu-metal band covering Simon & Garfunkel by auto tuning their whining over corny string arrangements. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDqVdGGrjE

I'm just gonna leave this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kHB2fWUS8

After presenting all these examples of "offending" lyrics I am curious to hear lyrics written by the posters or at least lyrics that they "approve" of. :roll:
What "I love to hate" is that anything that expresses emotion or is inspirational is "pretentious", uncool. What is hip is: negative,sarcastic,cynical,snide,snarky, pessimistic,bitter, and "throwing shade". :(
Last edited by Karma_tba on Tue May 31, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy wrote:
All of Knights in White Satin (including that god-awful "poem" read against straining strings at the conclusion). :roll:
It's "Nights In White Satin" not Knights ... and it's basically a love song. Seems to me you want to read more into it than is actually there.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
It's "Nights In White Satin" not Knights ... and it's basically a love song.
It was also written when Justin Hayward was 19. Fundamentally disturbing that a teenager might ever actually write somewhat gawky, awkward or purple lyrics. A spell in the army would have sorted that out.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
It was also written when Justin Hayward was 19. Fundamentally disturbing that a teenager might ever actually write somewhat gawky, awkward or purple lyrics. A spell in the army would have sorted that out.
It's often mis-understood as a song about tripping on LSD too ... usually by 19 year olds on LSD :hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Which army? Salvation, ISIS, or Kiss? :dog: (see my previous post)
Last edited by Karma_tba on Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karma_tba wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Which army? Salvation, ISIS, or Kiss? :dog:
British

Karma_tba wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Which army? Salvation, ISIS, or Kiss? :dog: (see my previous post)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscript ... ed_Kingdom
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Which army? Salvation, ISIS, or Kiss? :dog:
British
That would've done the trick...strip him of his individuality,teach him to kill,send him off to die.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”