Teenage Engineering OP-1 Review

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's interesting when it comes to the price. In some respects I think it's fair, the case and display are first rate, and it's capable of a lot more soundwise than most people would think. But the keys and knobs were something I could just never gel with, they felt too cheap and disconnected from the rest of the unit for me. It's a shame the keys weren't at least velocity sensitive IMO.

velocity sensitivity would have been limited on a unit like that....and probably prone to failure over time. :shrug:

Tarekith wrote:It's interesting when it comes to the price. In some respects I think it's fair, the case and display are first rate, and it's capable of a lot more soundwise than most people would think. But the keys and knobs were something I could just never gel with, they felt too cheap and disconnected from the rest of the unit for me. It's a shame the keys weren't at least velocity sensitive IMO.
I liked the clicky nature of the keys - I thought they were satisfying to play. But I ended up returning mine as the sound wasn't my taste. However, it is impeccably constructed, the display is amazing and the controls feel great - but OS was hard for me to gel with.

I think I echo similar sentiments here- its a no brainer at a couple hundred bucks. Closer to a grand it starts to feel like a large purchase and I think of other things that may be better options. I would like to see it table top/rack mountable sans keys and more direct control.

coskivst wrote:...But I ended up returning mine as the sound wasn't my taste...
After a few more days with it, I think the synth engines are probably it's weakest aspect. They give you a handful of different synths, but none of them really seem to stand out or grab you. I have managed to put together a few nice patches, but working with the engines has been a challenge so far.

The sampling capabilities expands things obviously, but even that feels limited to a certain degree. The sampler synth loop function doesn't work very well for example, as it's hard to loop without getting clicks.

These things aside, it does manage to distinguish itself as a device in terms of output, and the midi out for the sequencers I'm finding to be a big plus.

The upcoming os update fixes the clicks.

do you still own an op-1, Tarekith ?

No, I sold it a few months after I bought it. Fun little unit that did more than I expected, but ultimately it wasn't the all in one portable solution I was looking for.

Tarekith wrote:The upcoming os update fixes the clicks.
Nice. This will make the samplers a lot better.

jbw wrote:
Tarekith wrote:The upcoming os update fixes the clicks.
Nice. This will make the samplers a lot better.

i think it's just the tape machine that's getting this fix

I've been able to get rid of the clicks in the sampler manually, by fine adjusting the encoders (shift + encoder) that control the two loop points.

If I'm understanding it right, you try to get the loop points at approximately the same height, then you fine tune one way or the other while holding down a note (so you can hear), and the clicks become less and less apparent until they finally go away.

Can't say if this a guarantee to work every time, but it makes sense now, because the fine tuning of loop points is so minimal. The points barely move at all. Being the bright guy that I am, I finally realized that's what the fine tuning must be for. Sure enough it worked. :party:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”