Multiple incoming MIDI channels at once

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using loopbe1 to route MIDI from an external sequencer into MuLab 7. MuLab's "monitor midi input notes" (very useful) shows MIDI notes coming in on Channel 5 (Port 1). Right now I have the default "Basic Synth Rack" as the only track. I would expect this to play only when I right-click the track and select "Choose MIDI Channel" 5. But, it always plays. I've turned off "Automatic MIDI input focus" in the project menu and something similar in the preferences menu. It just keeps playing! Clearly I misunderstand something. Can someone enlighten me?

thank you,
-d.vyd

Any synth you use - VST or module - can choose for itself whether to ignore the channel number on a MIDI event. It's labelled "Omni mode" in some cases but these days, as you can route what you want where you want in most DAWs, it's generally the default or only option.

If you take a look at MuLab -> "MIDI Input Channel Targets", you'll see how MuLab decides where an incoming MIDI message will be sent. That gives you one way of changing things.

Alternatively, if you want to add a channel filter around an existing VST or module that only offers "Onmi mode", you can of course do that with a MuX: insert "Empty Synth", replace the "Poly Synth" module with the module or VST you want to wrap, then add a MIDI Channel Splitter module between the Event Input module and the wrapped module, connecting the desired output to the synth module.

Return to “MUTOOLS”