Anyone else get Addictive Drums Custom and doesn't know what to pick?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got Vintage Dry because of the Daft Punk-demo, which is amazing, but can't decide on anything else. VD is great for anything, especially soul and rock. I love the perfectly balanced, but fat sound, but I'd like something for more modern, rock/pop/cinematic work. Many of the rock-kits sound too thin or harsh for my tastes, but then again, the pop-kits sound too generic.

I'm a big fan of the Sonor Designer snare from Studio Pop ADpak. Also the whole Vistalite kit (Retroplex).

I own all of the AD kits, except for the newest one. Black Velvet would easily be my first choice for what you described.

Fairfax Vol. 1 is another great kit for modern rock sounds 8)

blueman wrote:I own all of the AD kits, except for the newest one. Black Velvet would easily be my first choice for what you described.

Fairfax Vol. 1 is another great kit for modern rock sounds 8)
+1 8)

EvilDragon wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sonor Designer snare from Studio Pop ADpak. Also the whole Vistalite kit (Retroplex).
Agreed on Studio Pop! That Sonar is awesome. The Retroplex is fun but not very versatile imo. It has an very distinguishable sound that the bass drum always gives away. I think you get more mileage out of other kits.

EvilDragon wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sonor Designer snare from Studio Pop ADpak. Also the whole Vistalite kit (Retroplex).
I like the sound, it's pretty full.
I really love the snare (can't remember the name) in Vintage Dry. It has a pillow stuffed in, which makes it so smooth, but still not muffled, if not very hard-hitting either.

Is Studio Pop great for a gated/80s-type sound? I like Reel Machines, but I'm not getting it, because I already have enough electric drum stuff. That Simmons, though...

You could gate it however you want I'd say... I never tried though. Here's an example where I'm using it with DW toms (from Studio Rock ADpak - this was all in AD v1, before XLN split their kits into individual products...). Sabian Vault cymbals for the most part, Paiste 3000 ride, chinas/splashes are coming from EZdrummer DFH EZX. Kick is Tama Starclassic.

Just LOVE the beefiness of the Sonor Designer snare...

https://app.box.com/shared/gsdljhdc08

The track is nothing special, just my synth tracks along with drums for a song I did with my now ex/defunct band... But hey, mayhaps you like the sounds.. :P

EvilDragon wrote:You could gate it however you want I'd say... I never tried though. Here's an example where I'm using it with DW toms (from Studio Rock ADpak - this was all in AD v1, before XLN split their kits into individual products...). Sabian Vault cymbals for the most part, Paiste 3000 ride, chinas/splashes are coming from EZdrummer DFH EZX. Kick is Tama Starclassic.

Just LOVE the beefiness of the Sonor Designer snare...

https://app.box.com/shared/gsdljhdc08

The track is nothing special, just my synth tracks along with drums for a song I did with my now ex/defunct band... But hey, mayhaps you like the sounds.. :P
Hey, that sounds great! (drums and song) :clap:

It would be be great to hear the drums alone, as the lead synth in the first section is mixed much louder than the drums.

Sure, I have that project somewhere, lemme dig it out...

EDIT: Here we go, drums only: https://app.box.com/s/y490ppkdqfgx9ecbu9ocmxp9u813pshk

Listening it today I totally hate the toms... They ring out far too much and sound kinda too ploinky. No balls whatsoever :(

EvilDragon wrote:Sure, I have that project somewhere, lemme dig it out...

EDIT: Here we go, drums only: https://app.box.com/s/y490ppkdqfgx9ecbu9ocmxp9u813pshk

Listening it today I totally hate the toms... They ring out far too much and sound kinda too ploinky. No balls whatsoever :(
Yeah, I'd swap the toms in AD for something softer and better-blending, personally. But a great arrangement otherwise!

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I still can't make up my mind.

I listened to the Studio Pop demo. There was nothing really striking (pun unintended) about it. Good, balanced sound, but... that's it.

Studio Prog... same.

Black Velvet... too hard, too massive.

So I took another listen to Reel Machines, which I didn't think I was going to, but... wow, I've only heard awful samples of Oberheim DMX, but now I finally understand what it's about.
The Simmons Kit however... what a nostalgia-dose, with the gated reverb. This is the ultimate kit for synthwave/synth pop. :o I was supposed to take a break from those genres, but it's really getting hard to resist that kit.

Then I took a look at the Black Oyster Kit, even though I thought the last thing I'm gonna touch is that 60s stuff XLN seems to just love... and wow.

Going all Brexit now. Can't make up mind.

I happen to love the jazz drums. I think they have a clarity to them that not all the others have and they are useful for much more than jazz. Just a great sound.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I happen to love the jazz drums. I think they have a clarity to them that not all the others have and they are useful for much more than jazz. Just a great sound.
The Brush or the Sticks-version? I'm baffled they even separated the two into separate products both priced at 80e.

Return to “Instruments”