How to avoid clipping in Cubase?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aircargo wrote:It's not the bit RATE it's the bit depth. :) the bit depth is the number of bits that can be used to reresent the amplitude of any given sample. The rate indicates how many samples are played per second.
Thanx for correcting me. I just got a little confused. thanx for sharing. :)

Check my blog on 23 May. I've got a post scheduled for you.
Thanx Kim for that ! I will surely see. I m bookmarking ur blog.

This red indicator doesn't have to do anything with the quality of your mix.
so is it harming in anyway?

Best way to stop clipping (for me) on master channel is to insert cubase own brick wall limiter in the channel strip

I don't understand why DAW mixers always initiate channel faders at unity gain.

I would suggest making a template with all faders zeroed out.

xerix wrote:Best way to stop clipping (for me) on master channel is to insert cubase own brick wall limiter in the channel strip
So you bumped 5 year old thread to give bad advice, nice. :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
xerix wrote:Best way to stop clipping (for me) on master channel is to insert cubase own brick wall limiter in the channel strip
So you bumped 5 year old thread to give bad advice, nice. :lol:
I didn't even notice this was a necroed thread. Sorry for joining in there.

Unaspected wrote:I don't understand why DAW mixers always initiate channel faders at unity gain.

In most daws/plugins, channels don't clip, due to 32 or 64 bit floating point processing, and it's associated enormous dynamic range it's not till it smacks the master output that it causes clipping. so don't worry too much about driving an individual channel, back your master fader down until it's time to mix.

ShawnG wrote:
Unaspected wrote:I don't understand why DAW mixers always initiate channel faders at unity gain.

In most daws/plugins, channels don't clip, due to 32 or 64 bit floating point processing, and it's associated enormous dynamic range it's not till it smacks the master output that it causes clipping. so don't worry too much about driving an individual channel, back your master fader down until it's time to mix.
Absolutely but it is more natural to mix up anyway. Then you're only ever balancing two signals.

that's certainly one extremely viable way to do it, and the way I would teach it. People are sometimes unnecessarily afraid of the channel faders, and think that they can't crank one if they need to.

my main point though was in relation to the "tracking" phase of music making. having the faders at unity gain upon loading is ok there, since you will be adding tracks, and I wouldn't want to constantly be pulling faders up for every new track just to hear what I'm doing. Back the master off so it don't clip, monitor at a comfortable level, and record. when it comes time for mixing pull down all the faders, pull up the master and have at it.

For auditioning sounds, absolutely. Though you can always have a dedicated channel for such a function. And I guess it is more fiddly if you're controlling everything by mouse.

These are universal principals though - I'm not a Cubase user so I might expose my ignorance if such a feature already exists; but it would be nice if all DAW mixers could switch between unity, zero and user positions with shortcuts.

Anyway. I've necroed the crap out of this thread by accident so I'll apologise again.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... w-software (http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gain-staging-your-daw-software)

MrMagneto wrote:Try it this way:
Turn down your Instrument Volume.
Use a Limiter/Maximizer/Ultramizer/Clipper (whatever their names are) on the Master Channel to bring back the loudness.
This. Most soft-synths, on startup, will be putting out signal at -3db or something ridiculous (I'm looking at you Massive). Turning down is the first thing I do once I load them up. I think they do that so they sound "impressive" in the shop. If you don't dial them down one plugin later all of the headroom is gone. Even the Battery defaults to a volume where it is already clipping in the plugin when using its library. Hooligans.

Return to “Production Techniques”