Alternatives to Heartbeat

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am enjoying Heartbeat, one of the best drum machines I have used. One part of it is because it is simple, I have tried others as Stix, tremor, punch and microtonic, they sound great but they have way too many parameters per part.

The number of parameters per part is very important to me since I map the controls in Push and use 8 (per page) to control each part, heartbeat is perfect for this kind of set up.

Apart from being a little bit expensive I was also looking for something just a little bit more diverse in sounds. Any recommendation?
dedication to flying

Arturia's Spark/VDM?

rod_zero wrote:I am enjoying Heartbeat, one of the best drum machines I have used. One part of it is because it is simple, I have tried others as Stix, tremor, punch and microtonic, they sound great but they have way too many parameters per part.

The number of parameters per part is very important to me since I map the controls in Push and use 8 (per page) to control each part, heartbeat is perfect for this kind of set up.

Apart from being a little bit expensive I was also looking for something just a little bit more diverse in sounds. Any recommendation?
You could try to map only the Eazy Synthesis Page controls on StiX.

1/ Stretch will ... stretch the sound 2/ Pitch will globally tune it 3/ Cut off will offset the Cut Off 4/ Rez will offset resonance 5/6/ Vel/VCA and Vel/Vcf will adjust the velocity sensitivity/response and finally 7/8 Macro 1 and 2 will adjust the Macros controls that are programmed individually for each sound (they have different action for each drum sound )

All these knobs are Macro Controls and were especially created to suit Drums/Percussions sounds. With these 8 knobs alone you can completely shape/transform your sounds, from subtle to cataclysmic variations, and adapt them very quickly to context/track/project

The good thing with StiX is that, if you still want more control on your sound after that, you have a few hundreds parameters left ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

rod_zero wrote:I am enjoying Heartbeat, one of the best drum machines I have used. One part of it is because it is simple, I have tried others as Stix, tremor, punch and microtonic, they sound great but they have way too many parameters per part.

?
to get over the Push limitations, have you looked at PrEditor?
http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/isotonik-preditor/

allows you to alter what params are shown, rename, re-order - takes a bit of time to setup, but with a bit of time, makes many VSTs much easier to use via Push.

You aren't gonna get much more in depth without having adding lots of controls. Tremor has macro controls on each part so you can set them up to control the sounds however you like. I would recommend dramatic. It's extremely flexible. While still not being as crazy as something like tremor. Honestly though, I use microtonic as much or more than any other drum synth I have. It's just great. Currently when working on electronic tracks I load up microtonic dramatic and then battery for samples and find I don't need much more for drums or percussion in a song.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

DrumR might be worth having a look at but it might fall in the category of having too many parameters.
(disclaimer, I'm DrumR author)
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Aryaroman wrote:Arturia's Spark/VDM?
Was an option, even considered getting the controller, but it would duplicate Push funcionality. And Arturia products always have some problems and their developing is slooooow.
thetechnobear wrote: to get over the Push limitations, have you looked at PrEditor?
http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/isotonik-preditor/

allows you to alter what params are shown, rename, re-order - takes a bit of time to setup, but with a bit of time, makes many VSTs much easier to use via Push.
Actually I am confrotable using Push as it is, I am trying to work with the 8 parameter per page limitation actually.
davidguda wrote:DrumR might be worth having a look at but it might fall in the category of having too many parameters.
(disclaimer, I'm DrumR author)

looks good on features, will ahve to try it today :)

Thanks for the tips
dedication to flying

I really like the simplicity of Heartbeat... but now I want something more complex :hihi:

as a fellow 8 knob user I can suggest audiodamage tattoo, but it's not quite the most diverse thing in the world (nor do they charge as such however)

The Analog Rytm...

An amazing drum machine... does not need a separate controller which inevitably is clumsy, has exceptional sound diversity, quality and character... real-time performance and hands-on control and has the overbridge integration. And it sounds good effortlessly.

It is so worth the cost.

For kick drums, I highly recommend adding D16 Punchbox. I was skeptical at first, not really needing another dedicated kick drum plugin, but... Wow! And the randomization features make it incredibly easy to get inspiring new sounds. I hope they follow that one up with additional dedicated drum plugins.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

These may be far out to consider but... MOTU BPM or Akai MPC Elements.

pdxindy wrote:The Analog Rytm...

An amazing drum machine... does not need a separate controller which inevitably is clumsy, has exceptional sound diversity, quality and character... real-time performance and hands-on control and has the overbridge integration. And it sounds good effortlessly.

It is so worth the cost.
I am actually considering, I already got an analog keys so I am really looking forward to get a Rytm, but it will have to wait until next year. In the meanwhile I need a plug in which can be mapped and tweaked confortably with Push.
dedication to flying

deastman wrote:For kick drums, I highly recommend adding D16 Punchbox. I was skeptical at first, not really needing another dedicated kick drum plugin, but... Wow! And the randomization features make it incredibly easy to get inspiring new sounds. I hope they follow that one up with additional dedicated drum plugins.
I looked at this as well and I think having individual plug ins for each sound could be a nice solution, I also found audiothing Hats one. I am missing some for snares, claps and cymbals.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
pdxindy wrote:The Analog Rytm...

It is so worth the cost.
I am actually considering, I already got an analog keys so I am really looking forward to get a Rytm, but it will have to wait until next year. In the meanwhile I need a plug in which can be mapped and tweaked confortably with Push.
I really like my Analog Keys... but the Rytm... :love: It's something special!

Return to “Instruments”