Using iPad as external synth in OS X

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Reading some other posts I've understood that it should be possible to use the iPad as external audio source with a Mac.
I was wondering which setup is needed and if it works only with Logic.

As I understood a Lightning-USB cable is requested and the two system should run OS X 11 and iOS 9 (or greater), but I was wondering if a third-party app is necessary (as Studiomux).

Especially I would like to use the app Moog Model 15 as external synth, so to control it via MIDI (with a Kontrol S49 keyboard) and get the digital audio back (not the analogical output) into my DAW (Studio One) with a decent latency (less than 100ms).

Could you explain me, if it is possible, which setup I need?

Thank you.
Last edited by killkrt on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Third-party apps like studiomux predate Apple's inter-device audio so they're not required. However, IDA doesn't have any settings you can adjust, so if you want greater control over sample rate or latency you could look at something like studiomux (I use musicIO here).

For example, my iPad only offers 44.1KHz audio output via IDA but I can set it higher in musicIO. So with IDA if I choose my iPad as the input device in Live, it forces Live to run at 44.1Khz sample rate.
Image Image Image Image

Thank for your quick reply.

So that means that with just a Lightning-USB cable I can control my virtual synth on iPad via MIDI and get the digital audio back to my DAW as it was a virtual instrument running in my Mac? That's great! :tu:

Anyway since Studiomux or musicIO are quite cheap in case I need more control I will get one of them.

Thank you.

You can definitely get the audio. I'm not 100% sure about MIDI over IDA (I just did a quick check with Sierra on my laptop here). I don't have a MIDI controller handy so I set up wireless MIDI to trigger notes via the laptop keyboard. Because of the sample rate limitation and the fact that my music rig is still on Yosemite I've always used musicIO over IDA.

But the apps are cheap (and cheaper if you catch em on sale) and offer more flexibility than the Apple solution.
Image Image Image Image

Studiomux/midimux handle midi.

I haven't tried MusicIO but I think it does much the same.

For the OP -> go for it! Sequencing on an iPad is a PITA, but the iPad has some really great and fun synths and effects and I enjoy using them with my Mac.

Studiomux is good for doing it this way.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”