Soundtoys 5 bundle - is it worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:(maybe the original Korg Legacy when it was dongled?)
That was Synchrosoft...

One thing to note is that most of Soundtoys plugins introduce latency, which is kinda weird for some (why does a delay need latency, or a phaser - it's allpass filters, or a chorus - it's a modulated delay?)...
It's likely either:

1. Oversampling (a lot of the plugins introduce some distortion/saturation so some OS to minimize aliasing makes sense)

or

2. Convolution (maybe they're taking impulse responses to capture the sound of some of the modelled gear)

Could be both I guess. The good thing with the Effect Rack is that the latency stays fixed at 2.7ms (@44.1khz) regardless of the number of modules added. That's why Little AlterBoy doesn't appear in the rack. That plugin alone has over 50ms of latency, and they didn't want that much latency in the Effect Rack so left it out.

But both CAN be done without introducing any plugin processing latency...

TheoM wrote:.......

Echoboy - Very disappointed there is no resonance on the HP and LP filters, and to get a crazy overdriven feedback sound is not that easy even when cranked. Tk sounds much better, and logic tape delay still just kills everything when overdriven. All those models, yet none of them sound as good as the single in TK or logic, just IMO. The groove and shuffle add something unique, so 6.5/10 overall. Usable and useful, more as a standard tricked out delay rather than a special FX one.

In the rack:
Echoboy + FilterFreak -> Recycle
(don't use ping-pong when recyled/fed-back in rack)
Maybe chuck in some Radiator.
..just an idea..

(Devil Loc on drumbus/overheads..outstanding)
- WonderEcho -

EvilDragon wrote:But both CAN be done without introducing any plugin processing latency...
oversampling without latency sucks cause it phases with similar parallel frequencies. Every time.

This is why i choose linear phase OS in the voxengo plugins, and prefer a bit of latency in general if a plugin is using OS (like softube, soundtoys, etc).

If OS is the reason, to reduce aliasing, then i am ok with the soundtoys latency. What would be cool though if it was selectable, so we could have zero latency realtime versions.

Richard deHove wrote:Great review, although the jury is still out for me on PhaseMistress. I'm a huge phaser fan. Little Rock doesn't quite do it for me. So far PM seems like the answer. Funnily enough for an old effect there's almost nothing on youtube about it...
I do love my phasers as well, and I own quite a few, but Phasemistress is my most used (for its flexibility as well as sound) ahead of the Arts Acoustic and Adam Szabo's (really quite good) free one.

I too skipped the buy even though I really wanted tremolator and panman. I finished my work behind schedule so I couldn't get it - had I done it before I probably woulda gotten it. :D

That, and I have a bunch of plugs I still haven't used because of wacko installation issues or some other reason. It is oddly satisfying to NOT use a hundred plugins in a project, instead sticking with stock ones or the ones you know well. :ud:

keyman_sam wrote:I too skipped the buy even though I really wanted tremolator and panman. I finished my work behind schedule so I couldn't get it - had I done it before I probably woulda gotten it. :D
Looks like you still have a chance - the sale got extended to Aug 1st.

Pretty sure I'm going to pass on it, but who knows. Maybe I'll demo a few of the things I don't already have and change my mind...

ftech wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:Great review, although the jury is still out for me on PhaseMistress. I'm a huge phaser fan. Little Rock doesn't quite do it for me. So far PM seems like the answer. Funnily enough for an old effect there's almost nothing on youtube about it...
I do love my phasers as well, and I own quite a few, but Phasemistress is my most used (for its flexibility as well as sound) ahead of the Arts Acoustic and Adam Szabo's (really quite good) free one.

how do you work around the bass issue? or like me do you just not use it on bass heavy sounds? If there's something I am missing would love to know :)

Arts acoustic is a one trick pony that it excels at..but really, it's not for everything. Unfortunately i don't find phase mistress to be the all in one phaser i was hoping, and am continually turning to the vengeance FX one instead.

1. Sountoys Rack Input Filterfreak + Phasem. (edit: I forgot the most obvious..)

2.As sendFX with pre-cut-filter.

3a. Or load it in Bidule with an Bidule-crossfader. Then use a cut filter on the wet-in-path.
Phasemistr. 100% wet.

3b. Nifty: Bandsplit (bidule example group: Dual-distortion)
UVI Thorus style...
Bandsplit on the wet-path-input -> add the Bass to the dry and send the highs to the FX.
Phasemistress 100% wet. (<- this is not supposed to trigger any dumb jokes...)
Last edited by Klinke1 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- WonderEcho -

TheoM wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:But both CAN be done without introducing any plugin processing latency...
oversampling without latency sucks cause it phases with similar parallel frequencies. Every time.

This is why i choose linear phase OS in the voxengo plugins, and prefer a bit of latency in general if a plugin is using OS (like softube, soundtoys, etc).

If OS is the reason, to reduce aliasing, then i am ok with the soundtoys latency. What would be cool though if it was selectable, so we could have zero latency realtime versions.
Exactly my point. I would prefer if this were an option. I am generally not bothered by phasing since I don't do parallel compression much (or at all) personally...

Anyways, I upgraded to the full bundle. $135, wasn't too much. Let's see how often will I use them (I'm honest, I end up using mostly u-he and Valhalla, some Eventide and A LOT of Tokyo Dawn Labs usually...)

Okay I'm demoing it and so far tremolator is nice and I've heard this effect in some songs. Decal is also not bad at all. Pretty much tremolator is the only effect I need. Don't care about phasemistress and echo boy as I have replica.

Hmm...the final test is to use it in a song. If it fits naturally I'm going to buy it else I'll skip it.

BTW can't guitar rig do all this? Can't you just build your own tremolator in GR5?

if you can build tremolator equivalency in GR5 please let us know when you do! tremolator is ridiculously powerful and can second as a rhythm gate as well.

I'm not huge on phase mistress or echoboy either, but just curious what you personally also use as alternatives? I use Tk for my delay, now that i have left logic.

damn... i was so lucky, i could resist and now it's extented... mhhhh.

Finally had the opportunity to demo the v5 bundle.
The decision to buy the bundle took me less than an hour.

OK, had some time to demo. Looks like it'd be foolish to pass on the full bundle for $135. And I thought I was only going to buy the H910... :roll:

Return to “Effects”