2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Another 1920*1080 user here.

I've got my 15" rMBP built-in display set to 1680x1050 when my external 27" 2560x1140 display is connected, and to 1920x1200 when no external display is disconnected.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

A summer sky outside my kitchen window turns into music via 2xKS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRf59XfqPkE

Cool stuff Simon.

I'm working a few GUI things at the moment... While I'm in "GUI mode" anyone have any personal rants/requests they'd like to make or remind me of? Feel free to speak up. I don't garanetee everything mentioned can/will be done, but we can consider it. :tu:

I remember for example a few people don't like the small buttons like image orientation, and image resize/contract. We are going to have these open as a menu/panel to show all the options to make it easier to select them.

If there are other things that work within the framework we have, let me know... These are the kind of things are most likely to be doable.

Feel free to mention/remind me of past feature requests too. I remember for example there was a "rescan resource library" request, that we could easily put into one of the menus. (We'll do this...) Where there other "small" things?

The thing i really miss in all 2CAudio plug-ins is a simple midi-learn (at least for dry/wet, mix, cascade f.e.).
I would like to control it via a Seaboard f.e. In a live play rather than static automation.

The same one as I mentioned a few hundred pages ago :) , and that you will no doubt tell me is impossible - a scaleable GUI!

Or ... a bigger one at least ... maybe 1.5x.

Galbanum wrote:I'm working a few GUI things at the moment... While I'm in "GUI mode" anyone have any personal rants/requests they'd like to make or remind me of? Feel free to speak up. I don't garanetee everything mentioned can/will be done, but we can consider it. :tu:

I remember for example a few people don't like the small buttons like image orientation, and image resize/contract. We are going to have these open as a menu/panel to show all the options to make it easier to select them.

If there are other things that work within the framework we have, let me know... These are the kind of things are most likely to be doable.

Feel free to mention/remind me of past feature requests too. I remember for example there was a "rescan resource library" request, that we could easily put into one of the menus. (We'll do this...) Where there other "small" things?
Still desperately needs a HD size option for those of us with 1080p systems, the standard is too small but the UltraHD option is too large, particularly for Aether. You went straight from small to ultra HD but most people are probably still on standard HD.

well I was talking specifically about KS, but I guess the "GUI scaling topic" does apply to any/all our plugs and I did see the recent post in the Aether thread about this too... :wink:

Basically the way we did things makes it (semi) easy to offer integer multiples of the smallest size GUI (so we have have 2x, 3x etc.) but 1.5x is problematic. Smooth arbitrary scaling is not possible with the current way we do things.

Achieving 1.5x (well actually 133.3% ) might be possible with some additional work though. I'll look into it.

So if we have something like:

width in pixels:
960 (verbs only)

sizes, this makes everyone happy?

BTW guys IMHO eventually everyone should try a 100cm/40inch 4K display. It is so F-ing nice! Our HD GUIs are perfect on this kind of display. A very reasonably nice one can be obtained for $500 or so these days... this is how DAWs/plugs should look! Even better would be 8K at 150cm or so. Then we are into the kind of sci-fi displays we have all dreamed of for the last 20 years! It's coming -- the latest gen video cards already support it...

Someone asked what 4K display I am using. I'll post the answer here in case anyone else is interested:
I am using a Samsung TV.

This is the 2016 model of something like the one I have (which i think is
the 2014 model):

40" Class KU6300 6-Series 4K UHD TV (2016 Model)

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40KU6300FXZA

These are quite good.

They have HDMI 2.0 input which means you can send it a 60hz signal if your
video card will support it (last gen AMD/Nvida cards that were just
released do this).

There are also Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapters now.

Also if you are using a TV a computer monitor, be sure that it has some kind of "PC mode" that disables all the "Image DSP" stuff that is designed to make action movies and spots look more exciting. It generally does horrible things to the image for use as a computer monitor...

Is it still not possible to at least change the base note via automation?

Bitwig shows a parameter called "BaseFreqNoteIndex" but as soon as I touch it, it jumps to B and then I can only go from C (0.000) to B (anything >0.000). The octave parameter ("BaseFreqNoteOctave") only allows -5 (0.000) or +10 (>0.000).

Being able to change the base note in another way than clicking through the drop down menu would be an essential feature to make this more than just super-resonator (no offense to resonators).

wasi wrote:Is it still not possible to at least change the base note via automation?

Bitwig shows a parameter called "BaseFreqNoteIndex" but as soon as I touch it, it jumps to B and then I can only go from C (0.000) to B (anything >0.000). The octave parameter ("BaseFreqNoteOctave") only allows -5 (0.000) or +10 (>0.000).

Being able to change the base note in another way than clicking through the drop down menu would be an essential feature to make this more than just super-resonator (no offense to resonators).
Root note automation works fine in LogicX (with the occasional clicks, but that can easily be declicked later), so it could be a Bitwig issue.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
wasi wrote:Is it still not possible to at least change the base note via automation?

Root note automation works fine in LogicX (with the occasional clicks, but that can easily be declicked later), so it could be a Bitwig issue.
Well it doesn't work at all in Live (parameters don't even register) so it's more likely a Kaleidoscope_win issue then.

Thanks though. IIRC there's a switch in live to load all available automation parameters of a vst by default. I'll try that and see if they show up then. Moving the switches doesn't work, in Bitwig they at least show up alright.

wasi wrote: Being able to change the base note in another way than clicking through the drop down menu would be an essential feature to make this more than just super-resonator (no offense to resonators).

Well it doesn't work at all in Live (parameters don't even register) so it's more likely a Kaleidoscope_win issue then.

Thanks though. IIRC there's a switch in live to load all available automation parameters of a vst by default. I'll try that and see if they show up then. Moving the switches doesn't work, in Bitwig they at least show up alright.
changing/automating tuning (and "base note" is a subset of "tuning") smoothly basically requires massive calculations to be performed. It's something we would love to do, but as far as we can tell there is no "low CPU" way to do it. To do it completely properly requires pretty massive CPU resources. It's actually rather suprising that changing tuning happens as fast as it does already, but "discrete"/step changes to settings generally feel "responsive" if things can be done within say 1/10th of a second or so, while to do things perfectly we have to update them once per sample (ten times per second vs 44100 times per second in the best case scenario). This requires massive recalculations/CPU-uage.

But, we are still working away at this goal. It's certainly something of interest creatively. We understand that fully, trust me. :tu:

OK I finally got around to testing and automation doesn't work right in Live either:

- BaseFreqNoteIndex only lets you switch between B and C, same as for bitwig.

- BaseFreqNoteOctave only lets you switch between -5 and 10, same as Bitwig.

There's some other odd 'automation' behaviour too, like that you can only select '1 Spring' or FIR (not two spring or string etc.)., FilterLowType only gives you "off" or 6dB etc.

It seems to me that Kaleidoscope automation is broken under Windows. None of the parameters that aren't just slider/knob values seem to work on the full range. They all just give you two values out of the available array.

A scoring project I did a few months ago for a commercial for a SF-area technology company... using KS for little bits of magic in an otherwise mostly tradditional-instrumentation piece:

https://soundcloud.com/andrew_souter/ha ... logy-score

B2 on verb duties...

Return to “Effects”