Michael Jackson "Rock with you" electric guitar strum sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Forum

Anyone know how to recreated the Michael Jackson "Rock with you" electric guitar strum sound. Tried all my vst instrument for hours... can't even get close...
Any help ??

I attached a sample from the original production track...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hire a guitar player maybe?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

An easy rhythm guitar part.

You can do this with Steinberg Virtual Guitarist --> riff-editor.
Within in 10 minutes you have this riff.

I don't own Real strat, but I guess you can also do it with
Real Strat very easily. Perhaps even better than with VG.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Just to be clear... I have no problem to recreate the riffs... I need that exact sound of the guitar...

Is there a riff editor in Virtual Guitarist 1 ?

irem77 wrote:Is there a riff editor in Virtual Guitarist 1 ?
Sorry, no. The Riff-Editor is only part of Virtual Guitarist 2.
But here it is a very powerful tool. You can really get nearly
everything out of it.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I think you need both bridge & neck pickups for this. Not too much treble or bright bridge sound. It may even be a Telecaster, but if you got a guitar that sounds similar, like a Strat, it should put you in the ball park.

It's either going through a DI or a very clean amp like a Fender Bassman, or a Fender Silverface Twin Reverb. The idea is any loud amp, like those running 100W will give you a much cleaner signal before the peaks start clipping causing the characteristic distortion effect.

Logic has a few of the amps like the ones I suggested, as does the Waves GTR, Plugin Alliance have a Bassman as well. The Treble may have to be turned down a little to pull out any overly harsh bright ness, but the Presence might be okay to post a little. The Bass may have to come down a bit if the bottom end is sounding a bit to full.

On top of that I think there is some subtle chorusing and probably a little plate that the rest of the mix was using.

Musically you'd also want to be playing on the top 3 or 4 strings, there may be some 7th chords, minors and even some 9th chords. Getting the right type of chord and voicing it correctly is a actually the biggest part of the sound, as is the strumming technique.

BertKoor wrote:Hire a guitar player maybe?
+1
And the beat goes on...

Return to “Production Techniques”