Which copy protection scheme do you prefer?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Which copy protection scheme do you prefer?

Dongle
11%
Software licensing centre
4%
Software ilock/e-licenser
2%
C/R
1%
Serial
32%
Keyfile
25%
Download package created individually for each customer
13%
Other
1%
I use only free software
2%
I'm Kanye West
8%

Total votes: 148

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Instead of discussing this very improtant topic in each and every thread related to Vengeance and other vendors who use ilock, may we have this thread for all copy protection talks?
Last edited by recursive one on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

A couple of thoughts/questions (at leats one of them apepars in almost any copy protection related talk)

Does the copy protection scheme influence your buying decisions?

In the grand scheme of things, do you believe that the "crackability" influences the developer's income and if it does, then in what direction? While I'd never advocate warez, I don't believe that things are always as simple as "no cracks equals to better income from sales".

Serial is the easiest and can't go wrong. I can always store my serial on my own storage and make sure it will work even if the company itself dissapears.

I recently got some iLok-protected plugins. Once I dealt with it, it works - but that doesn't mean it won't fail in the future :scared:
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Naah, on second taught, tired from this stuff, gonna pass. :scared:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Voted for individual package, serial and keyfile. The rest of the copy protections are more or less a pain in the back for the user. And the fact that I have to pay for a dongle is infuriating. But I did it anyway (my DAW is offline)... :x

Prefer as a customer: No copy protection at all. Probably the best copy protection for the company to make sure they aren't warezed,and able to provide us with good software in the future: Probably dongle. I don't think anyone really likes, or prefer a copy protection. I prefer to leave my house door open too, yet the world is evil out there, so I rather lock it to not get robbed.

I would have added software licensing centre (eg NI service centre and Arturia centre) because although they are in some respects like CR they work in practice very differently - eg they seem to be immune to hardware changes like new motherboards. CR is by far the worse but I like NI and Arturia's system, particularly NI's as I've never had a problem with it and it manages installs and updates too. I prefer dongles to serials in that they keep all licenses in one place, you don't have to hunt around for a serial through emails if your are less organised like me - prefer iLok overall as it also has an online backup available and transfers are easier. HD licenses I avoid as they are too vulnerable.

aMUSEd wrote:I would have added software licensing centre (eg NI service centre and Arturia centre)
Added this opition and now all the poll results are cancelled ( I wasn't aware this should happen :dog: )

Feel free to re-vote ;)

It would be cool if they would all use the same dongle protection though. One uses eLicenser, the other ilok, Reason users yet another dongle system... In the worst case you have 3 different dongles to plug in.

I do also like the 'Download package created individually for each customer' as again no serial to hunt for, but I guess that option may be quite vulnerable to credit card theft which is possibly why it's not used that much.

A similar poll was done last year

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=442379

A clear winner then was serial (or keyfile which is basically the same thing).

Now we shall see if it has changed since then, everybody now prefer iLok :D

I would have voted for dongle. But dongle is not enough it seems. I was thinking of saving up to buy Cubase 7 back then but 8 now? I changed my mind because I found out that the Cubase they sell at the local store(s) in my city won't work unless I register it online. Dongle + registration. Pfui.

Why can't I just go in a store, buy something, go home, and have the thing working without having to be online. Wasn't it always like that before. That old method doesn't work anymore? It should. No? Really?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I like the way Reaper does it: fully functional demo, and add a serial when you purchase a license. It's one of the most user-friendly ways.

Anything that requires a dongle or some invasive setup like ilok is just not going to get my money.

If you've ever had to re-install hundreds of plug-ins, many of them with different copy protections, you'll appreciate iLok for its simplicity.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:If you've ever had to re-install hundreds of plug-ins, many of them with different copy protections, you'll appreciate iLok for its simplicity.
I also don't quite get the hate iLok receives here. I like it better than eLicenser, and you might not even need a dongle at all, depending on the level of ptotection chose. And the license transfer seems to be easy peasy too, with a transfer fee involved though.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”