HoRNet AnalogStage

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

acYm wrote:is analogstage a no latency plugin?
0 samples latency :) That's something i always try to achieve with every plugin i make.

Saverio

AH-H wrote:Tested on Sweep tone 44.1 \ 32, as it is more realistic to use the plugin displays in real terms than the tone 1hkz. The music signal is not one frequency.
The input signal was -18RMS level, its peak was -18db level. Saturation and hiss included. Headroom 18db. On Op.Amp (as I understand it the purest of the three) no aliasing. If Headroom put in 0, audible aliasing. In the other two he heard and Headroom 18db and thus increases as it approaches the 0db ... How much it will be bad signal on the real music? I do not know...

I believe that all plug-ins simulate nonlinear analog oversampling should be not less than x8. Second should be a choice of more oversampling (x16, x32, x64), for the use of this option on the extreme plugin settings.

Actually I have long been a question to the developers of these plug-ins. The point here is such a plugin? Their f*cking f*cking bunch. No plug-ins to do here, really emulate analog distortion, ie without any intervention of digital artifacts. And what do they do? They reduce the CPU load losing quality. After all, this country of great load on the processor, longer than that of other plug-ins and deters customers confused ... Although this can be solved by making the highest quality at render time, the example of The Glue. But who cares, right ... After all, most of those who are engaged in music do not understand such moments (and how I was recently), will continue to lead the words of "Analog", the beautiful interface image ...

Damn, just tired already from all this ...
Aliasing in the digital domain when you pass the signal through some sort of waveshaping it's something you cannot avoid completely since you would need infinite bandwidth to cope with the infinite sine waves that makes a square wave (the result of heavy distortion)
Through oversampling though you can reduce it to levels below -60dB / -80dB that is considered low enough to be masked by the content.

Also consider that AnalogStage is meant as a soft saturation effect, not a distortion unit, so like every specific tool it has to be measured and considered for what is designed to do.

Saverio

Bouroki wrote:But it's also not equal amplitude at all frequencies. Music is more like pink noise than white noise, and most instruments have the bulk of their energy in the low mids. So with proper gainstaging the high freqs will generally be very quiet and so aliasing will not be nearly as bad as a sine sweep will show. I think a pink sweep (with 1khz at -18dbfs) would be more realistic although i've never tried that myself.

Of course it's not an excuse not to have higher standards against aliasing, but if you want a console emu on all tracks it's very tough to run it at 8x. So i think in this case just good gainstaging and being careful with high freqs is a pretty good compromise to make.
Yes you are right, the music closer to pink noise ... But the test is to sweep tone can show whether it is necessary to be afraid of aliasing, or may be 100% safe to use the plugin.
All the same, there are also high amplitudes at high frequencies ... For example, if the purpose of equalization artistic effect.
HoRNet wrote:Aliasing in the digital domain when you pass the signal through some sort of waveshaping it's something you cannot avoid completely since you would need infinite bandwidth to cope with the infinite sine waves that makes a square wave (the result of heavy distortion)
Through oversampling though you can reduce it to levels below -60dB / -80dB that is considered low enough to be masked by the content.

Also consider that AnalogStage is meant as a soft saturation effect, not a distortion unit, so like every specific tool it has to be measured and considered for what is designed to do.

Saverio
And what about the multiplication of the distortion? With each new nonlinear plugin ... and it will not -60dB / -80dB. It is clear that in the digital environment of unlimited bandwidth is not achieved, but with the help of oversampling can shoot aliasing so far as to even sweep his tone is not heard, and seen in the chart. Also under extreme plugin settings. For example using x32 and higher ...

By the way the plugin AnalogStage in Tube mode, why the odd harmonics? The lamps if I am not mistaken, there are only even harmonics. And it's odd harmonics in transistors ...

HoRNet wrote:
acYm wrote:is analogstage a no latency plugin?
0 samples latency :) That's something i always try to achieve with every plugin i make.

Saverio
Nice. I'll check it out eventually... the fact that SDRR has 4 samples annoys me a bit.

lesha wrote:
synzh wrote:Possible to add transformer saturation?
+1

+1 from me, too!

Dear Mr HoRNet,

I don't know if you've just been drinking a lot of coffee lately or if your doctor gave you 6 months, but I am really enjoying your small flood of new and very affordable plugins you unleashed in the last days and months. My only problem is trying to decide whether to go with AutoGain Pro or stick with the little version from earlier, since it does about all I need already.

To the transformer possibility -- please grab and have a listen to VOS's ThrillseekerVBL to hear the fantastic sound of the overloaded transformer ability of this one. I'm talking about the VBL and not the other Thrillseeker. It's never overbearing, even at full, and he really got it right. With all the attention last few years on tube overload, good transformer overdrive has been neglected some, and when it is offered at least half of the plugins I've heard just don't get it right. If done well, I think it would sound great in a few of yours. Notice also that there is not much to it -- basically one knob, not a knob and then 7 choices in a switch next to it, plus a dedicated (and maybe complicated filter). Just a knob - yes or no and how much. Done.

I hope you'll continue work on the perfect lightweight channel strip also. I think too many of the ones available either consume too much CPU or are too heavy on features or both. For example, I like a lot of Nomad Factory's plugins but their channel strip offerings are bigger than breadboxes and have dozens of knobs. Some other brands have gone this route too.

AH-H wrote: By the way the plugin AnalogStage in Tube mode, why the odd harmonics? The lamps if I am not mistaken, there are only even harmonics. And it's odd harmonics in transistors ...
:dog:
thank you for this, untill now it was not clear to me if you are stupid troll or wise man with miserable translation skills...now its finally clear :clap:

So how does AnalogStage compare to Satson and others in this category ?

kvaca wrote:
AH-H wrote: By the way the plugin AnalogStage in Tube mode, why the odd harmonics? The lamps if I am not mistaken, there are only even harmonics. And it's odd harmonics in transistors ...
:dog:
thank you for this, untill now it was not clear to me if you are stupid troll or wise man with miserable translation skills...now its finally clear :clap:
starting to regret having defended him... :shrug:

But he is neither nor - just some knowitall who feels as if developers - he isn't even customer of - owe him everything and then some...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

kvaca wrote: :dog:
And thank you. I understand what you arrogant b*tch who instead chooses discussion methods of self-affirmation. That's for people like you, I specifically wrote "if I am not mistaken," since I'm not sure that he wrote with regards to the even and odd harmonics ... But your nature got the better of you, congratulations :clap:

Oh, look how his English all of a sudden magically improved by several orders of magnitude...

how convenient.

So I was wrong - just some troll after all... :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Oh, look how his English all of a sudden magically improved by several orders of magnitude...

how convenient.

It's all the same Google translator ...

AH-H wrote:It's all the same Google translator ...
AH-H wrote:you arrogant b*tch
Gosh, google translator has really improved recently, it even knows which letters to censor :D
jens wrote:just some troll after all
So it would seem.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

AH-H wrote:
jens wrote:Oh, look how his English all of a sudden magically improved by several orders of magnitude...

how convenient.

It's all the same Google translator ...
O RLY?

From what language did it for instance translate what phrase exactly into "But your nature got the better of you, congratulations"?

Just a native English speaker might perhaps not be aware of that fact that the shortcomings of automatic translators mean that they would barely ever translate into laguage-specific phrases such as this.

You are busted wide open mate. ;-)

jens wrote: O RLY?

From what language did it for instance translate what phrase exactly into "But your nature got the better of you, congratulations"?

Just a native English speaker might perhaps not be aware of that fact that the shortcomings of automatic translators mean that they would barely ever translate into laguage-specific phrases such as this.

You are busted wide open mate. ;-)
This phrase I meant that to be arrogant b*tch, it's his nature, his essence ...

In general, sadly, that the majority of my written here can not understand ... But it can be and it is not necessary, because, knowing that my approach to the selection of plug-ins has changed radically. This is a more complex process, but it leads to a better, and I believe in it.

You guys need to bang something.

Return to “Effects”