MuLab 7.0.47

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only a few small issues:
1) When adding an automation-sub-track, it should default to Midi-channel "parent" (instead of "1")
2) A shift-click on the rewind button jumps to start. Could we change that to a "right-click"? That way it would work mouse-only.
3) I've installed a number of VSTi's and organized them in a directory structure (drums, synths, ...). Actually MuLab ignores that structure. Would it be possible to show it?

nenneb wrote:3) I've installed a number of VSTi's and organized them in a directory structure (drums, synths, ...). Actually MuLab ignores that structure. Would it be possible to show it?
You can name your own groups for VST instruments and FX using MULAB>Manage VST Plug-ins. Then it only takes a few minutes of clicking to sort them.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thank you, Michael, for that hint. As this feature is to be found at left-click (and not on right-click as expected) I didn't find it yet. But your advice solved my problem. Thanks again!

Minor note, I find that if I Solo an instrument track in the composition window and then delete it, the other tracks remain muted/unsolo'd. I have to undo the delete and then switch off solo mode in order to get back the other tracks to normal states.
Further, are there simple introductions for the more basic instruments, I like to make sure I learn the basics! :)

Right click any mute/solo button and choose reset all to solve that.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Nor sure where else to post this. Other than a few small niggles I can live with, the one showstopper left for me is the lack of OSC/Mackie HUI support. I want mix my iPad, darn it!

I hope this is in the upper levels of the to-do list!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: I want mix my iPad, darn it!
Could you tell a bit more about your desired midi/ audio path b/w ipad & mulab? FYI, I use MusicIO.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:
syntonica wrote: I want mix my iPad, darn it!
Could you tell a bit more about your desired midi/ audio path b/w ipad & mulab? FYI, I use MusicIO.
Wow! Does my phone ever make me a bad typist! Lol

I tried using a Korg nanoKontrol to test the waters and do a bit of preliminary poking about. I could get a fader, pan and mute to work. No soloing (I might have those backwards--bad memory!) However, only the focused mixer unit would respond. Unfocused ones just ignored the MIDI sent--not sure if there's a setting I have to tweak.

I just want to be able to use something like TouchOSC as a control surface for mixing as well as some VSTi tweaking to help me create my own sounds. I don't need any audio out, per se.

In this regard, I could live with Mackie, but I think OSC is more flexible.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

TouchOSC will send MIDI as well as OSC and you can MIDI learn in MuLab most things. (Some not, of course.) OSC support would be nice to have -- depends whether there would be enough sales lost otherwise that the development effort is worth it, I guess :).

Settings you might want to look at are:
- per project (Project menu): Automatic MIDI Input focus
- MuLab in general (MuLab menu, Edit Preferences): Activate Module Editor Auto MIDI Focuses Module
There's a comment on the preference explaining how the two interact.

You might also want to look at the per-project MIDI Input Channel targets.

Thanks pl for the reply, but those settings had no effect. I think because of the modular nature of MuLab and that only one module is focused and listening at a time, special programming is needed to allow for control surfaces to er, control all the things and not just the focused module.

You can definitely learn and control one effect while another has focus -- I do it all the time, it's just not easy to spot the exact settings or I'd write them out :).

I'll have to check, though, whether I'm using channel mappings in the project I use for this.

Okay, I got it figured out. I have to add the mappings from Project > Edit Project MIDI Input Controller Map. Can't add them by selecting the controls individually. Kind of tedious, but it works! I now have a semi-working control surface.

Having the other protocols would be better, however, to be able to bank switch your controller to do tracks 1-8, 9-16, etc., e.g. The project I'm working on right now is 9 tracks and my controller only has Master and 1-8! :dog:

And Mute is automatable, Solo is not. :(

seems forever any new update coming

runaudio wrote:seems forever any new update coming
Jo said he is working on a major Mac update now.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Indeed, still working on the mac update. I'll be happy myself too that i can continue on the very real sound and music aspects of MuLab an MUX, but wrt the Mac version i had this choice: drop Mac support or completely rewrite the Mac specific code which was outdated as it was still using the Carbon framework, which was also the reason why no 64 bit version + MUX for Mac was possible. After some long thinking i decided to continue + renew Mac support as it is a too important platform, especially to musicians. So that's what i'm working on now. Indeed time flies: June was M7 release + follow up, July + August was decompression + holiday + renew Mac support + some necessary renovation works on my old house + improving dev setup + sorting out probs with the mutools.com webhost (took time too!) + ... I realize it would be nice to have some concrete news/update on short term. It's often difficult to predict how much time such new developments will take, and so i'm not yet sure how much time i still need to get that new Mac version up and running. But step by step it is progressing and i do hope to share concrete results this month.

Return to “MUTOOLS”