Waves released Greg Wells VoiceCentric

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

alexis1 wrote:I've only seen youtubes/vids where a raw vocal is routed to VoiceCentric. Is there any point in trying to get the best processing first, then routing the result to the plug-in?

Thanks -
You can try yourself by doing in that way: if the result is better, there is a point.

This depends very much on the source material, and on the other hand where you are aiming to.
If you have a very clean and good dry vocal take, I think that the VC treatment gives a good option. But it depends if you like the type of compression, the type of doubler, delay and reverb the VC gives you. Very often to me VC is not for certain material. Thats why we need different types of Eqs, compressors, and other tools/effects.
You may like using FIRST the VC and then do the final treatment.
Or if you out take needs first heavy Eqing, or de-essing, or de-breathing, its not much sense putting this material straight away via the VC - if your artistic vision doesn't happen to include a lot of esses and breaths.

Harry_HH wrote:
alexis1 wrote:I've only seen youtubes/vids where a raw vocal is routed to VoiceCentric. Is there any point in trying to get the best processing first, then routing the result to the plug-in?

Thanks -
You can try yourself by doing in that way: if the result is better, there is a point.

This depends very much on the source material, and on the other hand where you are aiming to.
If you have a very clean and good dry vocal take, I think that the VC treatment gives a good option. But it depends if you like the type of compression, the type of doubler, delay and reverb the VC gives you. Very often to me VC is not for certain material. Thats why we need different types of Eqs, compressors, and other tools/effects.
You may like using FIRST the VC and then do the final treatment.
Or if you out take needs first heavy Eqing, or de-essing, or de-breathing, its not much sense putting this material straight away via the VC - if your artistic vision doesn't happen to include a lot of esses and breaths.
Thanks,Harry_HH, that names good sense of course.

I've been playing with the demo, initially applying it to a dry vocal to see what it would take to match a processed version using my homemade vocal chain. It's very interesting to play with and compare.

I give each of you a challenge to compare. Greg wells VoiceCentric vs the Vocal King plugin.

Now the Vocal King don't have reverb "whats the point when you many reverb choices than just one type in VoiceCentric?"
Also Vocal King don't have a Dubbler either.

But I can guarantee that the Vocal King sounds just as good and uses less cpu than the cpu hog on VoiceCentric?
Also can't beat the price. $$$

Anyone want to compare?

http://www.jhudstudio.com/paid-plugins

jhudstudio wrote: Anyone want to compare?
Hi! I just tried your plugin, and I like it. Thank you for providing an inexpensive alternative to the Waves vocal processors, which are nice but do eat lots of CPU -- 2 to 3 times as much as the Vocal King on my system.

I not only compared it to the Greg Wells plugin, but also to the CLA, JJP, and Butch Vig vocal plugs. I think the Vocal King is a better match to these others, since the GW has just one knob to control compression and EQ (although it does have a smooth character that works well in many situations).

In my quick test, I liked the Vocal King as much or better than any of the Waves products. I could easily get a very present, clear, and solid vocal that sounded very good in a mix. I'd say the VK is better suited than the GW to more aggressive styles in particular. One suggestion: It would be easier to evaluate the demo if the periodic mute was less frequent and long.

Otherwise, the GUI is easy to use, the meters are nice and clear with smooth action, and everything worked without a hitch. As mentioned, the CPU hit is very modest. Great job on this plugin -- looking forward to more! :tu:

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Eddie TX wrote:
jhudstudio wrote: Anyone want to compare?
Hi! I just tried your plugin, and I like it. Thank you for providing an inexpensive alternative to the Waves vocal processors, which are nice but do eat lots of CPU -- 2 to 3 times as much as the Vocal King on my system.

I not only compared it to the Greg Wells plugin, but also to the CLA, JJP, and Butch Vig vocal plugs. I think the Vocal King is a better match to these others, since the GW has just one knob to control compression and EQ (although it does have a smooth character that works well in many situations).

In my quick test, I liked the Vocal King as much or better than any of the Waves products. I could easily get a very present, clear, and solid vocal that sounded very good in a mix. I'd say the VK is better suited than the GW to more aggressive styles in particular. One suggestion: It would be easier to evaluate the demo if the periodic mute was less frequent and long.

Otherwise, the GUI is easy to use, the meters are nice and clear with smooth action, and everything worked without a hitch. As mentioned, the CPU hit is very modest. Great job on this plugin -- looking forward to more! :tu:

Cheers,
Eddie
Thanks, Yes the demo mode currently is terrible. I will be releasing a new version hopefully in a month or less that will give a person much more time to hear the audio before it cuts out. I will be changing the meters to more of a standard type too. Currently the key system is unique per computer. I am doing to ditch the key system how it works and send a file that will work on all computers without the headack of sending a machine id from each computer.

Thanks,
jhudstudio

Looks nice, and the price is certainly right.

And I understand the need for copy protection, but a method that relies on you is problematic in the long run. I used to use the Ensoniq PARIS DAW, which used challenge response authorization. When the company that built the software for them went out of business, everyone who relied on that software was SOL, for years, hardware and software investment trashed.

Don't know what the answer is, but at minimum, please make a commitment that if you do go out of business some day, you'll provide a version of the software without copy protection, so people can continue to use it.

dwozzle wrote:Looks nice, and the price is certainly right.

And I understand the need for copy protection, but a method that relies on you is problematic in the long run. I used to use the Ensoniq PARIS DAW, which used challenge response authorization. When the company that built the software for them went out of business, everyone who relied on that software was SOL, for years, hardware and software investment trashed.

Don't know what the answer is, but at minimum, please make a commitment that if you do go out of business some day, you'll provide a version of the software without copy protection, so people can continue to use it.
Thank you dwozzle for the concern. Currently after a person buys the vocal king plugin, they have to send me the machine id that is unique per computer from within the vocal king itself. I mention this in my registration area on my site. I never dealt with customers when it comes to a key system. Of course I wanted to protect myself from people giving away keys. However, after many emails complaints about the current key system, I realized that a lot of users do not like this. It causes a dependent for me to generate a new key code when a person buys or updates their computer. Because of this I am revamping the whole key system that is totally user friendly and there will be no need to ever contact me again unless the license file is lost. One license file will work on any computer that a customer owns. No online activation, no need to send machine ID, if a user updates OS or to a new computer, the license file will stay the same and work. If the plugin gets updates, no need to get a new license file.

I would rather have customers happy then to bother them with any trouble. I should have thought about this before the release.

It has been advised on my site that a person should read the registration agreement and test the plugin in there music daw before buying the plugin.

So for those who are interested into buying the plugin now before the update. Please test in your music daw before buying the plugin. Please realize that currently you will need to send me the machine ID for each computer after you purchase the plugin. I will then be able to render a license file for you computer. Also if you buy now, I will email you when the new version is out and you will get the free update. Btw any plugin update for the vocal king paid version is free.

For those who don't want to buy now. Wait for the new update to come out. Test it. The demo mode will be a lot better too seeing that I failed to make a long enough test period. Users will then be able to test for 90 seconds before the audio cuts out for 10 seconds.

Thanks,
Jhudstudio

Return to “Effects”