How would i achieve this delay?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mushy Mushy wrote:
jens wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Any suggestions short of automating via an EQ and pitch shifter?
That wouldn't work either - what you want is a pitch-shifter only in the feedback-path - that way it keeps rising with every additional loop.
Yes, exactly. Sounds like you know precisely what I'm after.
Suggestions then?
after thinking about it for a moment longer, I had to edit my post as I think it wasn't really correct.

The already mentioned free Valhalla Freq Echo should be able to do it, albeit the fequency shifter (which isn't exactly the same as a pitch-shifter though) should be able to do it, even though the shift happens in the main-path of the process - important is only that if affects just the delayed portion of the signal but sits after the feedback return or in the feedback-path.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Gamma-UT wrote:
jens wrote:
padillac wrote:There are two different modes in timeless, one will affect pitch. I forget what it is but you can find it in the docs. Tape mode I think?
Timeless can't do this.
It does if you modulate the delay time in tape mode – it's seasick time all round.
But how would you achieve the steadily rising pitch? (assuming a continous input signal)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Steve Bolivar wrote:Try Audio Damage Discord
http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD025
My suggestion too - Works an absolute charm for that sort of thing ... Though I've still not found anything that is quite as clear as what's been done in this track - wonder what he used?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFtebmC2sk

jens wrote:But how would you achieve the steadily rising pitch? (assuming a continous input signal)
The original request was for each repeat to rise in pitch. I freely admit it's a faff in Timeless and only works for feedback if you sync playing to the LFO – which also isn't helped by Timeless's lack of a straightforward sawtooth – and accept the acceleration in repeats.

I'm not all that familiar with Live, but isn't it one of the handful of hosts that allow for feedback loops in the mixer? Use the mixer, ie. send the track to a delay (with its feedback at zero at first), send the delay to a pitch shifter and/or freq shifter and then send that back to the delay. The delayed sound will be shifted, then delayed again, then shifted, then delayed and so on and so on.

Probably not helpful, but Bitwig's delays have effect slots for the feedback loops, as do some guitar pedals, which are great for stuff like this.

ras.s wrote:I'm not all that familiar with Live, but isn't it one of the handful of hosts that allow for feedback loops in the mixer? Use the mixer, ie. send the track to a delay (with its feedback at zero at first), send the delay to a pitch shifter and/or freq shifter and then send that back to the delay. The delayed sound will be shifted, then delayed again, then shifted, then delayed and so on and so on.

Probably not helpful, but Bitwig's delays have effect slots for the feedback loops, as do some guitar pedals, which are great for stuff like this.
This would most definitely work however it does seem a bit convoluted if I'm honest. A worthy backup plan though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

mcbpete wrote:
Steve Bolivar wrote:Try Audio Damage Discord
I have Discord3 so will give that a shot tonight.

Ah you should be grand then - Set the mode to P1 or P2, ensure L+R are linked, set the shift to the number of semitones you want each delay to be shifted by in the 'Shift Left' box, set the delay time to whatever you want, turn up the feedback....Done !

The 'duration L' box near the top sort of changes the 'metallic' characteristics of the delayed sound, so experiment with different values if it ends up sounding a bit to clangy or chunchy

mcbpete wrote:Ah you should be grand then - Set the mode to P1 or P2, ensure L+R are linked, set the shift to the number of semitones you want each delay to be shifted by in the 'Shift Left' box, set the delay time to whatever you want, turn up the feedback....Done !

The 'duration L' box near the top sort of changes the 'metallic' characteristics of the delayed sound, so experiment with different values if it ends up sounding a bit to clangy or chunchy
Thank-you sir. Will report back tonight :tu:

Usually for tasks like that (Reverb, Delay, etc), Valhalla DSP is always thrown into the pool. Why not in this case, is a bit beyond me. But... there you go!

http://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalla-freq-echo/
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Yea, it can be a bit convoluted since you need to have two effect sends and play with their balance and such. It's a basic dub trick, worth remembering. The benefit of it over purpose built effects (delays with built-in pitch shifters in the feedback loop) is that you can obviously do whatever you want with it. For instance once the listener is accustomed to hearing the delays being pitch shifted, fade out the pitch shifter channel, send it to a phaser instead, or feed it into a LFO modulated filter that goes into a auto-panner that is reverberated before sent to the delay again .. You get the idea, there's more to it than just shifting pitch. More convolution at least. ;-)

Compyfox wrote:Usually for tasks like that (Reverb, Delay, etc), Valhalla DSP is always thrown into the pool. Why not in this case, is a bit beyond me. But... there you go!

It has been mentioned twice already. Once on each page of this thread.

mcbpete wrote:Ah you should be grand then - Set the mode to P1 or P2, ensure L+R are linked, set the shift to the number of semitones you want each delay to be shifted by in the 'Shift Left' box, set the delay time to whatever you want, turn up the feedback....Done !

Just had a cheeky play with Discord at work and got 99% there in 5mins.

Definitely the one to continue with.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

jens wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Usually for tasks like that (Reverb, Delay, etc), Valhalla DSP is always thrown into the pool. Why not in this case, is a bit beyond me. But... there you go!

It has been mentioned twice already. Once on each page of this thread.
Been super blind then...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

xx JPRacer xx wrote:UnfilteredAudio's Fault can probably do it too + a lot more.
I had never heard of this until you mentioned it and oh man :love:

It is superb. Straight outta the box it did what I wanted and then some.
I definitely need to buy this one...

Return to “Effects”