FL Studio 12.3 Official Release

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

I dunno, when I was in retail and someone asked about buying an electric guitar I took them to look at electric guitars...I didn't take them to the acoustics and tell them they could put a pick up on it :shrug:

Keep in mind I have always been a supporter of FL, just not a fanboi and just like Samp and any other hosts FL is not perfect for me ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thing is, there are so many third party plugins for anything that i dunno why to make a fuss about the lack of a dedicated simple gate plugin. No DAW has integrated plugins for everything. And it always seems to be a FL Studio thing. Dunno, if i felt my DAW was lacking so much, i'd look for another. Maybe it is a personal thing with the company or the developers/reps here though. Sometimes looks like it.

Note that i'm not really a friend of cumbersome, and unobvious workarounds too. But if i happen to experience i need too many of those, i go look somewhere else where i don't have to take cumbersome, unobvious workarounds. That's why i didn't buy Tone2 Icarus a couple of weeks ago for example. Because i simply think that there are too many things (once again, Tone2), which need workarounds, or which are simply easier to achieve in other synths. And if you have the same problem with a DAW, i dunno why to stick to it until the bitter end. But, as i said, it rather looks like a personal thing here. Otherwise i wouldn't know why such a largely prominent DAW in EDM production would receive so much ongoing, general forum bashing. For things which turn out to be perfectly possible anyway.

chk071 wrote:Thing is, there are so many third party plugins for anything that i dunno why to make a fuss about the lack of a dedicated simple gate plugin. No DAW has integrated plugins for everything. And it always seems to be a FL Studio thing. Dunno, if i felt my DAW was lacking so much, i'd look for another. Maybe it is a personal thing with the company or the developers/reps here though. Sometimes looks like it.

Note that i'm not really a friend of cumbersome, and unobvious workarounds too. But if i happen to experience i need too many of those, i go look somewhere else where i don't have to take cumbersome, unobvious workarounds. That's why i didn't buy Tone2 Icarus a couple of weeks ago for example. Because i simply think that there are too many things (once again, Tone2), which need workarounds, or which are simply easier to achieve in other synths. And if you have the same problem with a DAW, i dunno why to stick to it until the bitter end. But, as i said, it rather looks like a personal thing here. Otherwise i wouldn't know why such a largely prominent DAW in EDM production would receive so much ongoing, general forum bashing. For things which turn out to be perfectly possible anyway.
actually I totally agree with you, but the arrogance of the rep once he jumped on me about it and was shown he was mistaken to not come back with a simple "my bad" is tiresome. Scott is very good at what he does and he is a tremendous resource, as I recall he programmed most of if not all of the presets for Sytrus, but still.

I will say that I do find it nice to not have to re-install lots of third party plugins when such a need arises. OTOH work arounds do keep the mind sharp and I dont mind a problem to solve once in a while.

Once again I hope no one thinks I am bashing FL, I started with FL before I joined KvR and then I had a folder full of screenshots I used on the old looptalk to help many people with FL. I also bought a second version for my son (who is now 35), but I do feel that if you criticize FL at all this is par for the course which has gotten quite old over close to 15 years (more like 14 I guess).

FWIW I am a rocker and tbh for any midi work I find FL to be far more creative for me, I can use Samp but it's far more static and stale. FL rewires nicely with Samp but as soon as I say that I dont care for how it handles audio work I am labeled a hater, that really isn't fair either is it? I started with tape and manual punch, I had a 4-track with auto-punch and I was sold on it. Now all I want is a simple auto-punch, I am not asking FL to add one, I like Samp's and all the audio features of Samp, yet somehow I am the bad guy for taking the best of both worlds to reach my goals...funny thing is never has any Samp user or Samp staff ever made me feel close to that :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I sense a strong fanboy bias in this thread.
I think that somehow FL attempts to rationalize away the need for a more featured software with the lifetime free update program. I have told them before, people will gladly pay for updates if they were worth the money.

camsr wrote:I think that somehow FL attempts to rationalize away the need for a more featured software with the lifetime free update program.
We do not.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

camsr wrote:I sense a strong fanboy bias in this thread.
I think that somehow FL attempts to rationalize away the need for a more featured software with the lifetime free update program. I have told them before, people will gladly pay for updates if they were worth the money.
It's almost humoristic that, just because someone disagrees with your point, you refrain to point out "fanboism", especially as i don't even use FL Studio, and then write an emotional post, with no facts, and simple implications that people would gladly pay for updates if "they were worth the money". How would you know even? Better check yourself before pointing your fingers at others, claiming bias, or being a fanboy, while you don't talk about facts yourself, but simply assume things.

All I get from these lines here is that, I'm wrong. Must you attempt to prove this constantly?

Just a general observation, but I wonder if others agree: Is it possible that the general consumer gripes with FLS are, to some degree, caused by the lifetime free upgrades policy? If you're not paying for the upgrades, but you still always get them, then (psychologically at least) your DAW is never really finished.

Just a thought. Not a big thought, but a thought nonetheless.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

My guess is rather that FL Studio is different, and its approach isnt orientated too much on what classic "band recorder" like DAW's like Cubase, or Logic are doing, hence, with the kind of difference in FL Studio, people think they lack this and that, whem comparing to other DAW's. Kind of the same like with the Reason effect, and people constantly bugging for VST support, even after introducing RE's. The main thing for me though is that some people pretty well do professional music with it, hence i must admit that i don't quite get the fuss.

Talking about Reason, for me, personally, it would be too cumbersome to take the workarounds you need to make some really basic stuff like a ping pong delay, and the amount of routing it requires. And that there is not a single built in synth device which has such a basic feature as stereo oscillators, or unison span spread. And that you, again, need to apply workarounds for that, e.g. in Thor. Or set up a comibinator. For some, that's modular heaven, for me, that's nightmare, that's why i choose other hosts. With the amount of beef FL Studio gets constantly here, i wonder why people don't just choose another hosts, if they feel so uncomfortable with it. I assume it's something else though, probably the self confidence, if you want to name it so, with which the devs or reps often appear here. Or simply, as mentioned, because FL Studio is "different". Probably a mixture between those 2.

Lifetime free updates has never and will never be an issue for me. In the past, there have been other issues with the performance of the product.

n/m

This just in: After 18 years Image Line has decided to end the affiliation programme :o

No more shall newbies get 10% off using an affiliate link to buy Image Line gear

Why?
Dear Affiliate partner,

In accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the Image Line Affiliate Program, we will be closing the Affiliate Program at 9.00 AM CET on Monday 26 September 2016. After this date and time, Affiliate discount codes will no longer be active and will not provide discounts or generate income for your account.

All earned ILVCash in your Account after this date and time will remain yours and available for withdrawal or can be used to purchase Image-Line products as usual.

We appreciate the support our Affiliate customers have given us over the last 18 years and want to thank you for helping to build FL Studio into one of the world's most successful DAWs.

Numanoid wrote:This just in: After 18 years Image Line has decided to end the affiliation programme :o

No more shall newbies get 10% off using an affiliate link to buy Image Line gear

Why?
Discussed here in LoopTalk where questions like this are probably better asked.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Image-Line wrote:Discussed here in LoopTalk where questions like this are probably better asked.
Let's hope it will be replaced by something similar.

A bit weird that the affiliate link is still the first thing I see when login into my IL account:

"You can act as a reseller of our software and earn a commission for each sale. Please use this link (copy/paste from above input box) to promote our products for resale."

chk071 wrote:With the amount of beef FL Studio gets constantly here, i wonder why people don't just choose another hosts, if they feel so uncomfortable with it. I assume it's something else though, probably the self confidence, if you want to name it so, with which the devs or reps often appear here. Or simply, as mentioned, because FL Studio is "different". Probably a mixture between those 2.
Or maybe, just like any other software out there, FL isn't perfect and for every 10 features that are great, there is 1 really annoying feature that is missing/cumbersome and handled much better in DAW X.

Why don't I use DAW X then you ask? Well because DAW X doesn't handle the other 10 features as well as FL (for my needs). Life is a compromise, that doesn't mean that improvement shouldn't be a goal.

Not every criticism is hating, nor is all acclaim fanboyism. For example, I've read Hink's comments for years, and he's right, the way FL does certain things isn't ideal. I don't get the feeling he's bashing FL so much as wishes that a few flaws could be improved that would make it much easier for him to do what it is he wants to do.

Too many people have a binary view of the world; just because FL is my DAW of choice doesn't mean that it doesn't have its flaws. Life isn't like metacritic where everything is either a 0 or a 10. Most things are somewhere in between. What FL does well, it does very well, but there have been some very poor design decisions that stem from a lack of understanding on gol's part, and I think it's only fair to point these out.

I personally am quite optimistic for the future given the number of features that have been borked for years that seem to be getting fixed now that gol is out of the picture (temporarily?). I'm still hoping for MIDI support in FL 13.

And no, I'm not hating on gol. He can be very funny, and is really, really good at some things. He's also really, really bad at some things. Just like most of us I guess. (I'm also pretty sure that gol is thick-skinned enough to take any criticism coming his way :D )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”