Waves Gold-is it good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there

I am looking at Waves Gold bundle at $159 and wondering if I need it. I felt that I need more good mixing plugins as I am mixing the album for release now, but I don't need more immature entry level plugins. I am a keyboardist and EDM producer. I am using Sonar Platinum. It has its old suit of plugins that were there for years, which are still useful, and some newer plugins that I still need to explore. I have Native Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate. Not usually using those plugins- again- need to see if anything is good in it. I use Izotope Ozone Advance 7 for mastering, and some of those effects available as single effects- such as Ozone Dynamics and Ozone Vintage compressor... They are good, but... My main problem with most of my tracks is picks. I always fight with them, trying to make everything stay below 0, and it tries to sneak a pick here and there. So I use compressor on almost every track. Do I need Waves Gold bundle? It looks like more entry level old plugins that would make my computer crowded and I will never get to use them. Do you use them? Should I get it? Thank you. http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2 ... e62cf30c9c

Waves Gold is the best value plugin bundle out there. It consist of very solid tools you can always depend on. Some of the plugins are quite old and probably superceded by better alternatives (q10, c1, ultrapitch, l1) and some are old but still eminently usable (all the ren stuff) but they all could come handy depending on what your needs are. And some of the plugins are absolutely excellent. Standouts include h-comp, h-delay, vitamin, gtr3, enigma, metaflanger, c4, doubler). Overall the bundle is of superb value and offers a good set of tools that cover both sound design needs as well mixing needs.
No signature here!

pre 2000 and fixed point processing. Stock plugins in any current DAW probably surpass most. Maxxbass may be the only worthwhile Gold processor and then there is that WUP (pay indefinitely) scam if you want to keep it current.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

robotmonkey wrote:Waves Gold is the best value plugin bundle out there. It consist of very solid tools you can always depend on. Some of the plugins are quite old and probably superceded by better alternatives (q10, c1, ultrapitch, l1) and some are old but still eminently usable (all the ren stuff) but they all could come handy depending on what your needs are. And some of the plugins are absolutely excellent. Standouts include h-comp, h-delay, vitamin, gtr3, enigma, metaflanger, c4, doubler). Overall the bundle is of superb value and offers a good set of tools that cover both sound design needs as well mixing needs.
I could not have worded it better. I bought tons of Waves extra plugins, SSL, API, L3-16, JJP etc.. and realized later that Gold covered all bases and covered them extremely well almost to the point of not really needing the other Waves stuff I ended up buying. Waves Gold is stacked with serious tools that are a must have when out on the battlefield. It's one of the greatest investments one can make when it comes to doing this shit. Just buy it Op, and you will not be dissapoint.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

If you just began your adventure with production then yes, Gold can be very useful but when you already have nice collection of plugins and good DAW (Sonar have really good stock plugins) then no. If it's all about fighting with dynamics and peaks and you have iZotope Ozone then don't expect anything amazing from Waves Gold. Most of these plugins is ages ago behind stuff that you mentioned so don't expect that Waves improve your workflow. Today even some free plugins eat Waves on dinner.
Audiotrack, C1 comp, C4, Deesser, mv2, q10, axx, renaissance comp, re eq, both reverbs, s1 - you have such stuff already on board. Vitamin - can be useful but only when you know what you're doing - easy to f** up. V-Comp, V-EQ - people price these neve emulations. GTR effects - nice if you don't have other like amplitube/guitarrig, and GTR sound quite 1D (no, not like one direction :P ). Effects like flanger, doppler, mondomod are cool but idk do you need them. IR-L - you can replace it with free convolution reverbs like Reverberate LE.

I think that you have already great plugins that are more than enough to produce great sound.

You'll get 5 true analog-modeled plugins (modeled THD, non-linear response):
1. V-comp
2. V-eq3
3. V-eq4
4. H-comp
5. H-delay

Also check public ~4GB library of convolutions for IR-L Reverb :tu:

And yes and no. ALot of plugins feels outdated sound and UI wise, but some of plugins are really useful and i dare to say unchangable for some tasks like:

Doubler (amazing for vocal widening, dare to say best one)
MaxBass is one of the best for enchancing bassdrums
H-Delay is one of the best go-to delay plugins, i have Echoboy, Satin and i still find uses for H-Delay, also its very CPU friendly.
H-Comp is also useful.

For that price it's an amazing deal. Jump all over that.

Someone mentioned it above and I have to agree. If you can ever grab Waves Gold Bundle for $200 or less grab it. Waves Doubler and Maxxbass are two of my most used plugins in that bundle. I use C6 now because I have it, but if I didn't have it I would say C4 might be one of the better DeEssers from Waves. I would even say it compete in the market. MondoMod is good for so automated panning duties. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about Enigma but don't sleep on that plugin. It does a good job of keeping things out the way. Automate it a bit and it can really put something into place.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

Maxxbass is the only special Waves plug you cannot seem to replace with anything else. All Waves Gold plugs are from before the year 2000. Very old plugins and most if not all are coded 24bit fixed point and will clip if pushed past 0db.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Nearly a year back with the $50 Waves voucher there was Gold for something around $110 (with a huge discount, i think it was plugin discount). Anyway i didn't bought because of WUP and the age of the plugins = nothing special.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I would, actually I did a long time ago, it's well worth it. The only way you will truly know for yourself is to try it out, demo the plugs, don't worry to much about the WUP comments, it is unnecessary, you don't need to buy it and your plugs will still keep on trucking. You can buy WUP if and when you decide it is beneficial to you , like when and if a new plugin gets added to the bundle, it was only $30 or something when I renewed the WUP. Don't be to concerned about the age of the plugs, if you try them and like them who cares how old they are? the aesthetics, well if it bothers you it bothers you and is therefore an important factor in your decision, if it doesn't . . . there are many good plugins included and they can still hold there own today.

One thing to remember, especially it seems with Waves, there are for whatever reason quite a few vocal haters out there, so the only way is to try yourself and make up your mind yourself. If the deal only lasts a short time, and not enough time to demo, don't worry it will cycle around again soon, whatever you decide just make sure YOU make the decision and don't worry to much about others opinions.
Say NO to CLAP!

Just be aware, with waves plugins I have had 4 instances of authorized USB drives used in the studios I work in just straight dumping the license file from the drive which forced me use to use 4 instances of my once a year restore (one per Waves Gold license, luckily we have like 10 licenses for it). I've had other studio techs from totally separate studios confirm the same problem. Talked to a tech at Waves who basically admitted this "might" be a known problem.

So that's some real bullshit you should be aware of if you depend on studio uptime.
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

jinotsuh wrote:I would, actually I did a long time ago, it's well worth it. The only way you will truly know for yourself is to try it out, demo the plugs, don't worry to much about the WUP comments, it is unnecessary, you don't need to buy it and your plugs will still keep on trucking. You can buy WUP if and when you decide it is beneficial to you , like when and if a new plugin gets added to the bundle, it was only $30 or something when I renewed the WUP. Don't be to concerned about the age of the plugs, if you try them and like them who cares how old they are? the aesthetics, well if it bothers you it bothers you and is therefore an important factor in your decision, if it doesn't . . . there are many good plugins included and they can still hold there own today.

One thing to remember, especially it seems with Waves, there are for whatever reason quite a few vocal haters out there, so the only way is to try yourself and make up your mind yourself. If the deal only lasts a short time, and not enough time to demo, don't worry it will cycle around again soon, whatever you decide just make sure YOU make the decision and don't worry to much about others opinions.
Nobody said that the plugins are in any way bad because they are old. I for example said that they are really nothing special nowdays because of the age and that is a valid point. WUP can be important for some and for some is not. Fact is you have to buy WUP when you decide to sell Waves plugins and it's not a question if you want anymore. I dunno what's so terrible to mention it?. Look, i don't even tried to explain it in my post because it's a very subjective thing anyway and OP had to decide on its own if he want to pay $300 one day to sell stuff he bought for $150 years ago. Calling people haters because they have a slightly different pov (as you) is not polite.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

robotmonkey wrote:Waves Gold is the best value plugin bundle out there. It consist of very solid tools you can always depend on. Some of the plugins are quite old and probably superceded by better alternatives (q10, c1, ultrapitch, l1) and some are old but still eminently usable (all the ren stuff) but they all could come handy depending on what your needs are. And some of the plugins are absolutely excellent. Standouts include h-comp, h-delay, vitamin, gtr3, enigma, metaflanger, c4, doubler). Overall the bundle is of superb value and offers a good set of tools that cover both sound design needs as well mixing needs.
Absolutely, very serviceable. Anything old on there is mostly considered "classics" as well, like in an Eventide MicroPitch kind of way or Pultec EQ kind of way. They each contribute their own character that has become a mainstay for many people.

I on the other hand like to switch things up and keep trying new things and dig into the classics when I feel a need.

That Punch control on the H-Comp may work differently to the Thrust circuit of an API compressor, but you can achieve very similar results with it, especially if the Analog control is set to 1. The knob didn't inject noise, it actually selects compressor type.

Return to “Effects”