Propellerhead Software announced Reason 9 : 21 June

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

headquest wrote:How are people finding Reason 9?
In your case, I think it's a no-brainer if you like the workflow. For me and others (I'm on 8 ) 9 doesn't justify the cost (though you mentioned cheaper prices? I'll look around)

A lot has happened since your version.

Looking back, it seems to be version 5 plus Record that was my last one.

The price I am looking at is just the one on the Phead site - €129. But it's the same price whatever version you upgrade from. So I am getting four major upgrades for the price of one, basically.

TBH, if I had bought each of those upgrades at that cost I would feel VERY annoyed with the overall improvement. But as you say, from what I have to what it now is, it's probably a no-brainer. So long as I am going to use it of course! (Ableton very much remaining my DAW of choice here!)

headquest wrote: Have they given up adding instruments?
Noppes , they just release them as R.E. and charge money ; :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Really think if they just added Malstrom MKII and Subtractor MKII people would lose it. Few more options for waveforms, phase offset, graintables, and filter types would be awesome.

headquest wrote:Looking back, it seems to be version 5 plus Record that was my last one.

The price I am looking at is just the one on the Phead site - €129. But it's the same price whatever version you upgrade from. So I am getting four major upgrades for the price of one, basically.

TBH, if I had bought each of those upgrades at that cost I would feel VERY annoyed with the overall improvement. But as you say, from what I have to what it now is, it's probably a no-brainer. So long as I am going to use it of course! (Ableton very much remaining my DAW of choice here!)
Same way I feel after playing with with it. Given my last version was 2.5 there's a lot changed while still being familiar, and would be a great upgrade for the money. Definitely won't be throwing Live away, and the fact that the script to make it run Reason really appeals. The new midi tools are fantastic as well. Wondering now if I can run those in reason and play the vsts in Live, but that's probably asking way too much.

If you are on Windows Duncanm,
an easy way to route MIDI inside the box is this:-
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
It should work for you

Quick heads up: Reason 9 Upgrade is £55 from Amazon UK at the moment.
I wasn't that bothered at £99 but £55 is cheap enough to forgive/forget/ignore some of the things that made me stay on version 7.

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote:Quick heads up: Reason 9 Upgrade is £55 from Amazon UK at the moment.
I wasn't that bothered at £99 but £55 is cheap enough to forgive/forget/ignore some of the things that made me stay on version 7.

Grum.
cheers! I couldn't say no at that price.

duncanm wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:Quick heads up: Reason 9 Upgrade is £55 from Amazon UK at the moment.

Grum.
I posted on the Reasontalk site this morning what I liked and disliked in Reason 9 and said I only get it if it was a silly price. Bought it in the afternoon!
It's a bargain.
Thanks for the thanks :).

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote:
duncanm wrote:

Grum.
I posted on the Reasontalk site this morning what I liked and disliked in Reason 9 and said I only get it if it was a silly price. Bought it in the afternoon!
It's a bargain.

Grum.
Me too - thanks

aMUSEd wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:
duncanm wrote:

Grum.
It's a bargain.

Grum.
Me too - thanks
bought it too ... from 6.5 to 9 :D :borg: :party: :tu: thank you very much!
"It dreamed itself along"

Thanks grumbleweed.... I've bought it too!
Also finally upgraded from Live 8 to 9 this week, so a big week for getting back on the software bandwagon!

Yes thank you!

headquest wrote:How are people finding Reason 9?
Via the Start menu or desktop icon... :lol:

I used Reason a lot from versions 4 through 7, took a pass on v8.

Tried the v9 demo, between Ableton Link, new Players, Pitch Editing, Clip Reverse, Audio to MIDI and Bounce In Place (plus Softube Amps and Convolution Reverb from v8) I decided to upgrade. jrrshop Group Buy 15% off was the clincher!

Is there a better way to record Reason's audio output in realtime than running Control Room Outs to Sampler Input? This works for a stereo mix but I'd really like to record an arbitrary # of individual tracks. Also not sure if live sampling has a time/file size limit. I'm not talking Bounce to Audio...anyone familiar with Ableton Live's Audio Track "resampling" input (or analog tape recording!) will know exactly what I mean.

I think I've finished more tracks in Reason than any other system over the years. After a while away, I feel like Kong/RedRum/OctoRex is my favorite beat-making system. I'm a little disappointed P-heads have given up on including new instruments/FX in the core of Reason, and seems to be only targeting the n00b market. Still, in spite of any misgivings, for me - Reason is more than the sum of its parts, and one of the most inspiring musical instruments I've ever found.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”