New to Mac please suggest all the things I've been missing!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hivkorn wrote:
Nimrod7 wrote:
hivkorn wrote:stay away from presonus studio 1 V3 !!
Why?
buggy as hell !
Since revision 8.2.1, hell has been pretty stable for me :shrug:

bongo_x wrote:
If you miss having folders up top in Finder (I know I do),
I haven't used Windows in 20 years and this is still something that bugs me. In all directory structures I make I put a "-" at the front of the name so the folders stay at top.
Yeah, it's so frustrating isn't it? I don't think this is a Windows vs OS X thing, I think it's a logical vs illogical thing and Apple has insisted that their way was right for so long.

Thankfully, Sierra fixes this!!! That's the main new feature I'm excited about, hehe :)

been mentioned, but DrumSpillage2 is a gem!
also XLD is a great minimal audio converter.

I'm I the only person who enjoy the dictionary? May be cause English is my second language.

Studio Saturn wrote:I'm I the only person who enjoy the dictionary? May be cause English is my second language.
English is my first language and i LOVE the built-in dictionary in Mac OS and iOS.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fgimian wrote:
bongo_x wrote:
If you miss having folders up top in Finder (I know I do),
I haven't used Windows in 20 years and this is still something that bugs me. In all directory structures I make I put a "-" at the front of the name so the folders stay at top.
Yeah, it's so frustrating isn't it? I don't think this is a Windows vs OS X thing, I think it's a logical vs illogical thing and Apple has insisted that their way was right for so long.

Thankfully, Sierra fixes this!!! That's the main new feature I'm excited about, hehe :)
Get Pathfinder - it's a much more powerful replacement for Finder and does all the things you wish it did and a heck of a lot more.

aMUSEd wrote: Get Pathfinder - it's a much more powerful replacement for Finder and does all the things you wish it did and a heck of a lot more.
It does a little too much more than I want! I have gotten used to the Mac Finder and it works mostly fine for me. I do use XtraFinder though and it adds a lot more options.

bongo_x wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: Get Pathfinder - it's a much more powerful replacement for Finder and does all the things you wish it did and a heck of a lot more.
It does a little too much more than I want! I have gotten used to the Mac Finder and it works mostly fine for me. I do use XtraFinder though and it adds a lot more options.
Yup, and all the 3rd party findes don't integrate well into dialogs such as open and save. I prefer to stick to Finder.

I used to like XtraFinder though, if you really want something like that. It's far more minimal and free!

Holy Cow. Thank you all for sharing. I love the weirder stuff!
fade me out.

fgimian wrote:
bongo_x wrote:
Yup, and all the 3rd party findes don't integrate well into dialogs such as open and save. I prefer to stick to Finder.

I used to like XtraFinder though, if you really want something like that. It's far more minimal and free!
When I first got my Mac the 5 things I found hardest to get used to were:

1) Folders not on top
2) No cut/paste
3) No Invert for selections
4) Apps staying open when I thought I'd closed them
5) No save as dialogue

The first 3 apps like Pathfinder, Totalfinder and Xtrafinder enable (but can't use Xtra and Total finder easily on El Cap)

4) I got used to and now like the idea of separating closing a window from closing an app - it's Windows that confuses the 2 things

5) Is still dumb but I'm used to it

- Maybe obvious for most, but use the finder as an app launcher, or use Quicksilver or LaunchBar instead
- OSX still has Save as, just not in their native iCloud-supported apps
- You may like Fluid
- There is a lot of power in AppleScripts and Automator
- There are good Finder alternatives, I like Commander One (which does have inverse selection, etc.)
- You wouldn't believe the things you can control from a Terminal window
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

aMUSEd wrote: 2) No cut/paste
There's actually something similar in OS X that you may be unaware of:

1. Select your files and copy them (Cmd + C)
2. Option + Cmd + V to paste and that will move them, alternatively try right click while holding option and select Movie Item Here

Hope that helps :)

I am aware of it but I prefer it if it's in the right click menu - the Finder alternatives enable it at least.

Once a year when Apple "updates" its operating system, your DAW and plugins become obsolete and all developers of plugins and DAWs must set aside everything else in order to resolve those issues.

Welcome to the brave new world of Apple and its own ecosystem! :borg:
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

Rommelaar wrote:
Once a year when Apple "updates" its operating system, your DAW and plugins become obsolete and all developers of plugins and DAWs must set aside everything else in order to resolve those issues.

Welcome to the brave new world of Apple and its own ecosystem! :borg:
yada yada yada
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”