Anyone still use Windows XP?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering if anyone here is still on Windows XP? Personally, I still use XP on an offline computer and it works really well (it's fully optimized for audio work without any fluff). If so, do you get viruses or the anti-virus does the job to protect the whole system?

Thanks!

I still use XP on my online pc, because I'm too lazy to buy a new pc.

I quit updating XP 6 years ago. I can't remember when I had my last virus, I use sandboxie and avast freeware antivirus.

manducator wrote:I still use XP on my online pc, because I'm too lazy to buy a new pc.

I quit updating XP 6 years ago. I can't remember when I had my last virus, I use sandboxie and avast freeware antivirus.
Interesting... So it means that you can still use a Windows XP computer and stay virus free. It's cool, Microsoft gave the impression that your computer would be automatically vulnerable to viruses.

Everyone gave that impression. It's fun to scare people off. I've seen a laptop running XP this afternoon btw. Also online. The press is bla, bla, bla, and bla. This is dangerous, that is dangerous. OMG, DON'T DO THAT!! IT'S TEH DANGER!!! Frankly, i'm growing more and more tired of it. My 3rd party antivirus also notified me about the evil threats of teh internet every day with popups. I'm now using Microsoft's Windows Defender, and don't feel vulnerable at all. The best firewall is your own behavior online.

I do and number of people I know, personally don't have any AV on it, but don't use internet heavy either (check mostly KVR&co, YouTube, Soundcloud&co), use Linux Mint for non-audio stuff anyways (even on Macbook), it kinda fits the bill for me, something in the middle of Windows and OS X, got some stuff just right.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I had an XP laptop that I only used for browsing the net, and it literally slowed down to the point of being completely useless the day support stopped... I realize now that it was probably just a coincidence, but at the time I thought it was to do with support ending.

I remember we had a 95 that slowed down to a zombie on it's last legs in it's later years. :lol: Feel so old now.

I hated it at first, but now I'm a happy Windows 10 user. My studio desktop and my live laptop are both Windows 10.

an-electric-heart wrote:I hated it at first, but now I'm a happy Windows 10 user. My studio desktop and my live laptop are both Windows 10.
Were using it during beta and quite liked it too, but time will tell, all depends on DAW I will pick next, one thing is sure, not gonna use Linux for audio. :ud:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

if you are online i would for sure not use it
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I personally downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7. The pop-ups inside my OS were too much for me to take... If it wasn't because of the privacy issues and the annoying pop-ups, I would have stayed on Windows 10, because otherwise it's pretty good.

chk071 wrote:This is dangerous, that is dangerous. OMG, DON'T DO THAT!! IT'S TEH DANGER!!! Frankly, i'm growing more and more tired of it. My 3rd party antivirus also notified me about the evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzn5UNO9f5M
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

chk071 wrote:Everyone gave that impression. It's fun to scare people off. I've seen a laptop running XP this afternoon btw. Also online. The press is bla, bla, bla, and bla. This is dangerous, that is dangerous. OMG, DON'T DO THAT!! IT'S TEH DANGER!!! Frankly, i'm growing more and more tired of it. My 3rd party antivirus also notified me about the evil threats of teh internet every day with popups. I'm now using Microsoft's Windows Defender, and don't feel vulnerable at all. The best firewall is your own behavior online.
How would you know if your PC was infected unless either the AV scan caught it and told you or you noticed some unusual behavior? The most dangerous virus/exploit is the one you don't see.. like a ninja.. in the shadows... watching... waiting... :o

I think much of the Windows patches weren't for mitigating viruses, but instead for bugs and exploitables that allowed hackers/codecrackers and not the 9-5chatroomslackers entrance into a PC. I don't think AV is for blocking those guys. Firewall might to a degree... maybe.

That said, I probably wouldn't want to do any banking on an XP system today.. but otherwise I probably wouldn't care either. There is definitely planned obsolescence in the OS.. I liked Windows 7 but that is near end of patching cycle too. Boo.

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.

SampleScience wrote:Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.
Ah yes I see they pushed it back. Now ends on January 14, 2020. Thanks for the information :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”