How to specify inversions in the chord track?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear all,

can anyone tell me how to specify chord inversions in the chord track? I get the slash chord functionality, but that doesn't quite get me where I want to be... when I want a specific chord and play it on the external keyboard, it often shows up in the chord track like this:

I'm guessing the bracketed numbers indicate octave transpositions or something? Either way, it helps me voice the chord the way I want.

But when I'm on the train, I don't have a keyboard, and use a website to find out, e.g., I want a Csus4 in second inversion. But I don't know how to specify this! Any tips?

Thank you for any insights!
CJ

Hello CJ,

If you right-click on a chord box, you can specify an inversion in the master track inspector:

You guessed it right, the numbers mean octave offsets. If you leave the mouse over the inversion menu, these hints are displayed:

"Inversion is specified with a formula that contains octave offsets for the chord notes separated by semicolons. E.g. C4 Major [1;1;0] means that C4 and E4 is transposed up by an octave, so the chord consists of G4,C5,E5 (second inversion traditionally). Note that for a chord note several transpositions can be specified separated by a comma. E.g. C4 Major [-1,0;0,+1;0] means the C3,C4,E4,G4,E5 notes."

I am planning to add a visual inversion editor soon.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Thank you so much! I knew I had seen this box before, it just didn't occur to me to right-click the bounding box instead of the name!

CJ

Return to “MusicDevelopments”