Your opinions on Slate's Blue Compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

To those of you owning Slate's new Blue Series compressors: What's your experience/opinion? Are they really the most realistic 1176 emulation (as stated by a testimonial on Slate's website)? Or - to ask the same in a different way - are they worth their money?

Demo them and decide if you like them most people don't have a real 1176 to compare too. I really like them.

I demo'd for 14 days.

My verdict:

1) The vintage blue sounds too way too similar to the vintage black from VMR that I already own (maybe it actually is and this is just accurate emulation). Anyway, didn't really come up with any scenario where I'd really need the vintage blue instead of the vintage black.

2) The modern blue is a very good compressor, basically a clean 1176 with a much slower attack so the transient gets bigger. Similar comps would be NI Supercharger and the like, which I compared it to and ended up liking Supercharger more. The blue modern is good, but in a world full of good cheap compressors it just isn't good enough / it's way too expensive.

My 2c.

Another thing is Slate is bringing out a distressor emulation.

They're the best I've used personally and considering both have two circuit options I think they're priced extremely well. They are similar to the black one in the sense that they're all 1176's, but the character is completely different. They compliment each other well.

They beat Waves CLA Classic ones. I'm anxiously waiting for Slate's take on the LA-2A.

For the waste of time that it is, I'm bored.

I demoed the "bomber" and though I have no doubt that many like it, it was too un-interesting to me. So, considering how good the VMR stuff is, unless the "blue" has something WOW about it, I don't see a reason to bother.

The two things that would be nice to see in the VMR format:

-A quintessential gate. Something that lays current gates to waste. They have the technology, they can make it better, stronger, faster.

-The currently "in development for who knows how long" distressor :hihi: But I have my reservations about it considering the 500 series nature and what they can do visually. But sound is paramount, so we'll see.

Again, gassing is one thing, but they really did get it right with the original VMR. What exactly will the blue stuff do that the two excellent compressors won't?

-

I like Blue on vocals. Did you already try The Monster for the all buttons mode?

I really like them. One thing it took me a while to figure out is that I needed to drive the output to compare it with some other emulations. Doing that gives me the right amount of saturation.

This may be accurate to the hardware, but without an input and output trim knobs, it makes it very inconvenient. I hope Slate adds that soon!

There won't be extra trim knobs - you're supposed to use the TRIM module in VMR for that.

I like them. I have found myself reaching for them mostly on Vocals and Kick Drums. I often use a few different kicks in a production so I should say on the Top or Hi Kick. The one I'm trying to get the most bit out of. I have little experience with the hardware so I won't compare the accuracy of the emulation. It is good. Coupled with VCC, you will get a good sound for sure.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

Return to “Effects”