Going all software - but what about AN1X?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Analog Night Kontakt Edition

I want somebody who believe in the product they are working with

You seem to be hobnobbing with the NI crew knowing so much small talk, "who did what there and when", while at the same time saying that it can't compare to some 20 years ago ancient synth.

Is this what you say to the NI crew when you talk to them about Kontakt?

You are a beta tester for Kontakt 6, right, and know everything about the release date of that.

I believe in a lot of products I'm working with. I also know their limitations. Also I never talk about AN1x to NI, LOL.

Also I pointed out ONE aspect of AN1x which I feel is better than Kontakt (well for the most part, for example rotary effect isn't that good, but modulation effects and delays are indeed better than what Kontakt has to offer). This does not diminish Kontakt's flexibility in other ways, it just points out that Yamaha did something really great 20 years ago that is relevant still today. So how is this a bad thing? How the hell do you misunderstand that I wasn't comparing the flexibility of Kontakt with everything AN1x is? I just mentioned one point. That does not imply all. Plus, it's apples and oranges between them: one is a VA, the other is a sample playback engine. Sheesh.

Anyways, this bickering is tiring. Do whatever the hell you want, it doesn't faze me.

I think Predator might sound similar. It also has a powerful, lively 80's sound that is neither analog nor digital, but somewhere in between.

I don't care what I use, as long as it is a quality product, and fits in with the project and what I want to achieve.

Jeez the amount of ignorance directed at someone who actually knows what they are talking about, is astounding and very sad.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

EvilDragon wrote:Prophet 6 sounds nothing like AN1x... Prophet 5 might have been the guiding idea for AN1x, but it doesn't ACTUALLY sound like a Prophet 5, at all...

Also, I wouldn't call AN1x's patch switching seamless, at all. There is a very audible silence gap when changing programs, which is far from "seamless", effects don't carry over. That's all stuff of more modern synths, like Kronos for example. And Virus, I think, has that, too.
I think we're getting hung up on labels here. Seamless was the wrong choice of words. Although I think I explained what I meant in the post I didn't leave it at seamless:
"It's completely silent. Software usually has a click/pop or effects based noise when switching between patches."

Since you ignored that part of the post let me reiterate:
I simply meant without any unwanted artefacts like pops or clicks or effects noises carrying over. Try doing that with Arturia for example and you'll see what I'm talking about right away.

Yamaha bought Sequential Circuits and the AN1x architecture is based in large part on the Prophet 5 though. Whether it sounds exactly like a Prophet 5 is neither here nor there. To say it doesn't "at all" is overstating things but besides the point anyway.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think Predator might sound similar. It also has a powerful, lively 80's sound that is neither analog nor digital, but somewhere in between.
Thanks! I'll wait for Predator 2 then and see how it compares. I noticed the thread has in the meantime evolved into another argument not related to my original question =)

nevernamed wrote:Since you ignored that part of the post let me reiterate:
I simply meant without any unwanted artefacts like pops or clicks or effects noises carrying over. Try doing that with Arturia for example and you'll see what I'm talking about right away.
Sorry, indeed I skimmed over and didn't notice that part of your post. Apologies :)

i've heard the an1x at a friend's studio yet i could not tell there was something magical about it.
i'd say keep it and let practice decide. metaphorically you'll be in a "sweet spot" yourself, where
you're almost completely on software but not really there.

Is not AN1X somewhat based on Prophet-5?

EvilDragon wrote:
nevernamed wrote:Since you ignored that part of the post let me reiterate:
Sorry, indeed I skimmed over and didn't notice that part of your post. Apologies :)
All cool. Thanks.

It's a tough call replacing this thing in software. It has a very pleasing sound.

Schiffbauer wrote:I have the AN1x in my setup for years and use it very often.....

IMO nothing comes close to it....
As the owner of AN1x and AN200 I can confirm to that, especially as a full sized keyboard instrument. Nothing can replace AN1x for me.
felis wrote:It's got a synth called 'TRIP' which has some similarities to the AN1X.
But I should agree that Trip has certain charm of AN1x. I just got Retrologue and while not the same, the sound reminds me of the AN engine. With more interesting features on certain part, it would make a great hardware synth as well. It sounds so good actually and I really like the "Retro Modern" feel of the sound, almost like the AN1x.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

EvilDragon wrote:Nothing quite like it. 90s show through in its sound, and sure there are more advanced and more precise emulations in software, but it has its own charm... That synth is all sweet spot, even farts it makes sound beautiful.

I'd keep it if I were you and if there's enough room. I don't play mine nearly as often (plus don't have the room), so I'm contemplating letting it go... I do have AN1x filters in my racked FS1R, if nothing else, at least, and a decent amount of patches can be done on it, accounting for differences in architecture (which only makes it more flexible in the end, on the FS1R), plus, FS1R in AN filter mode actually has 6 voices of polyphony MORE than AN1x...
I don't think the fs1r filters are the Same as the an1x.
The fs1r filters are Just the awm2 filters as found in yammies romplers and samplers.
I could Be wrong ...only gave a yam.sampler atm..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

They are the AN filters. There are some AN1x patches that are in FS1R which sound identical (Earth Lead, for example).

EvilDragon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Oh that's a pity, I was eyeing one myself - thought it was the same engine but just in a desktop module
It very nearly is but there are some sonic differences, and obviously lack of scenes and scene crossfading because it's just 5 voices (AN1x is 2 5-voice cards). Possibly also converters are different.
Actually, both the AN-200 and DX-200, have dedicated "scene" buttons (cleverly labeled Scene 1, and Scene 2), and an adjacent knob to 'morph' between those two scenes. Albeit, certainly limited in comparison to the AN1x, yes... but not altogether worthless if timed well during a sequence. [2c]

{aside} just checked the prices (ebay) on the AN-200... :o $300+ ??? I paid that (including tax) for both an AN and DX as a 'package', new!
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”