What's worth installing on CM DVD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I remember when CM started packaging plugins under their own name. "OOH a 303 clone! Wow an electronic drum VST!"

Now, there are dozens of distortion plugins alone on the cover disc, a like number of VA synths, a bunch of "hybrid synths", a few reverbs, and plenty of compressors and channel strips.

I have been at this a while and have collected my fair share of plugins. I am wondering what is on the disc that really is screaming to be installed?
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

*Checks the latest issues content*

Well, from the fx, i installed WaveShaper CM (never really checked it out though TBH), EaReckon CM-Comp and CM-Equa (didn't check those out either... ugh), LiquidSonics Reverberate CM (pretty good), Nyrv System Agent (installed that one just recently, and... haven't checked it out yet :oops: ), RP-Distort CM (not quite my cup of tea IIRC), Sonimus Satson CM (not bad, but i preferred Softube Saturation Knob), TB-Barricade CM (never used it...), VPS Philta CM (never gave it a try...), VPS Scope CM (essential for me, my go-to oscilloscope, especially as it was the only free- or magware 64-bit oscilloscope back then).

Instruments i tried out: Cableguys Curve CM (not quite my cup of tea, the workflow doesn't suit me very much), Kirnu Cream CM (cool arpeggiator, i use this for Studio One 2, when i don't want to use BlueARP for rather step sequencing purposes, but rather want to have a "classic" arpeggiator), KV331 Synthmaster CM (didn't like it, neither the sound, nor the architecture), Loomer Cumulus (always had that installed, never tried it out... shame on me :D ), Madrona Labs Altoo CM (fiddled with it for a couple of hourse, but found out that i'm not so much into modular stuff. Did some cool beeps and blips though :) ), Rob Papen RG-Muted CM (tried it once, but it's pretty special, as it only models muted guitar stuff), Squaredheads Nora CM (not bad, interesting concept, but way too restricted in the CM version), Synapse Audio Dune CM (used to be my go-to synth when i only used free- and magware. Very nice architecture, but, nowadays, i don't quite like the sound, it always sounds a bit "dampened", the envelopes are quite strawy, and the supersaw (sorry in advance) isn't quite there too), u-he Bazille CM (nice synth, can't really say much bad about it. Really generous magware too, other companies would sell this for at least 50 € i guess. Nice sound, but you have to dig the modular stuff), u-he Zebra CM (also, quite nice synth, a bit limited though), XILS 3 CM (not really my thing, neither architecture, operational, nor sound wise).

In conclusion, i would say, there really is a lot of stuff to explore there, and there's some real gems too. Personally, i would highlight VPS Scope CM, Kirnu Cream CM, Synapse Audio Dune CM (for it's versatility, and bang for "no" buck), and Bazille CM, for the sound. At least those are definitely my favorites of the contents of the latest issues. There also were great "one time" offers, like Cakewalk Z3TA+, which was my first "payware", magware, whatever synth, and i still find it pretty cool, or rather version 2. They also had some of the Tone2 fx's on some issues, which are also very nice.

I would say, it's definitely worth to check it out, and see what stuff is there which does something for you.

XILS PolyKB Player, Sonimus Satson CM, Wolfram CM, Zeba CM, Kirnu Cream CM, Scope CM, Ohmygod!.
No signature here!

Vielklang 2 CM is very good - some of the best pitch correction out there
Vengeance VPS scope is easily the best scope tool for free (or nearly free). I use it over Span now
Unfiltered Audio G8CM is great purely for the fact it has a midi trigger built in
PSP Cm delay is very nice - cut down version of their latest delay plugin
Audiority TS1CM is a very nice transient designer - I find it better than a few commercial plugins
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:PSP Cm delay is very nice - cut down version of their latest delay plugin
Cool, wanted to give that one a try anyway. :tu:

for some reason, EQ87CM is one of my main eq's, I like its operation and looks... might get full version at some point
+1 for G8cm for manual midi gating fun - it also sends midi out which is neat

duneCM is as close to a full synth as magware can get, though I noticed lately that the beatmag version is even less cutdown... it may be starting to show it's age however

for me (rock/metal oriented):
- vielklang 2
- frontier
- barricade (bought the full version for look-ahead but one can live with the CM version)
- bass amp
- agent (it is very limited though :-|)
- drum shaper (for quick-n-dirty)
- DDMF EQs
- EQUA87
- PSP delay
...I would use the rest of the amp simulations more but have quite a few (read that as "too many") full versions already ;-)

CM things I'm using a lot:
-Spiral
-VPS scope
-Dune CM
-Bazille CM

I like the eareckon plugs and the ddmf eqs.

G8cm is a great gate, I use psp cmdelay all the time, barricadecm is my limiter of choice for day to day stuff.

Bazillecm is remarkable for the price :) aaltocm sounds great if you want off the wall synth sounds (i was impressed enough to buy the full version)

maybe the gem never talked about is spiralcm, so useful for those of us without perfect pitch.

I think it really depends on what you have and what you'r eintending to do.

If you already have some good quality programs already, I don't think most of the CM package will be of interest unless you're are looking to purchase something later that was offered in the mag as a CM version.

If you don't and are using mostly freeware, I think there is a lot that you can rummage through for your tastes. Another reason would be if you are traveling a lot and don't want the hassle of messing with the challenge protection of your current plugins that limit the computers you can use.

That being said, personally I like & use:
PSP CmDelay (I liked this so much I bought the full version!)
Curve2CM (BADASS!!! This is one of the best giveaways on the magazine if you mainly use the presets. They are SUPERB. And if you need to upgrade, this gives you much more power)
VPS Scope CM (Like pretty much all have said here, for the cost of the magazine, this is almost indispensable!)
RG Muted CM (for just guitar licks, this is also a go-to tool. Add an amp sim & you're golden)
OhmygodCM (This is one of the better comb filters, that's easy to tweak, I believe)
Alpha CM (I also use alpha free from Linplug as well as its a little bit different)
CM Alchemy Player (great sounds, but I don't use it to import SFZs, though it has that capability)
DuneCM (that dark murky, thick sound can come in handy)
Bazille CM (Just great! There is a lot to explore in this lil mean monster)
EQUA87 & COMP87 CM plugs (if I didn't have so many EQs & compressors already I would definitely be using these)
VS Phila CM (this is also a great lil plug as well. This filter is pretty funky.)
SR-202 (REALLY wish this was 64 bit. It's the easiest drum sampler to use)

Also, If you look on some of the back issues, every now and then they will give away exclusive plugins for free that are not included every month. A couple of months ago, Tone2 gave away Warmverb, which is pretty nice. And also Rapture & Ze3ta in some of the back issues.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

I didn't try everything, and some I've deleted. Don't remember everything I've tested.

Keepers
Kirnu CreamCM: basically the paying version of Cream. My go to arp, way better than
BlueArp in my opinion.

ToneBoosters BarricadeCM: probably the best magware limiter. Haven't tried Frontier.

LiquidSonics ReverberateCM: it's LiquidSonics Reverberate Core (sold £30) without the preset browser, i.e better than the free version of Reverberate. My go to convolution reverb.

Acon Digital CM Verb: very limited in possibilities, but sounds great, probably better than all the free algo reverbs I own, including Sanford.

VPS Scope CM: like already said, a good scope

SpiralCM: nice viz, but not sure I have any use for it.

ToneBoosters SibalanceCM: a very good if not simple sibilance control tool, although I now own the full version

Madrona Labs Aalto: amazing synth, very analog, limited to mono synth in the CM version, but still able to produce very unique sounds

XILS 3.2: a good emulation of the VCS3 with its unique sound, but you have to like using the rather awkward interface, especially on big screens.

Squaredheads NoraCM: basically a MIDI editor in an arpeggiator. Limited but nice, although I think I prefer CreamCM.

Didn't keep
DDMF EQ: transparent EQ, but more limited than my current EQ (ToneBoosters EQ), and the spectrogram has been removed. Plus questionable stability.

VielklangCM: would be an amazing piece of software if it wasn't buggy as hell

DuneCM: didn't install because I own Dune 2

SynthMasterCM: didn't install because I own SM, but I'm affraid it's also a bit buggy, and unmaintained

Couldn't try BazilleCM, and ZebraCM is nothing like Zebra. Anyway, I already have too many synths.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Curve CM, Bazille CM and G8CM are all top notch.

lolilol1975 wrote: Kirnu CreamCM: basically the paying version of Cream. My go to arp, way better than
BlueArp in my opinion.
IMO, they have a vastly different approach to arp'ing. I use both, when i want to use a rather classic arp, with the intention of experimenting, and seeing what comes out, i use Kirnu (though it sometimes gives me a hard time operating it), and when i want to use a step sequencer like arp, i use BlueARP. In fact, i'd say BlueARP is more a step sequencer than really an arp, but, of course, it also has arp specific functionality. IMO, they're both pretty useful.

I decided to revisit the plugin pack, and I don't know why I dismissed Curve last time- absolutely amazing synth. I think I'll also replace Synth1 with Dune for my low CPU option.
chk071 wrote:
lolilol1975 wrote: Kirnu CreamCM: basically the paying version of Cream. My go to arp, way better than
BlueArp in my opinion.
IMO, they have a vastly different approach to arp'ing. I use both, when i want to use a rather classic arp, with the intention of experimenting, and seeing what comes out, i use Kirnu (though it sometimes gives me a hard time operating it), and when i want to use a step sequencer like arp, i use BlueARP. In fact, i'd say BlueARP is more a step sequencer than really an arp, but, of course, it also has arp specific functionality. IMO, they're both pretty useful.
The standard arp play order feature missing from BlueARP being the difference in approach. I'm a big fan of BlueARP, the interface makes it a great step sequencer that's somehow really inspiring to program (if you don't mind, but Kirnu can replicate almost all of it's functionality and quite a bit more (swing, octaves transpose per pattern, more options per step)- while being able to keep sample-accurate timing. I've moved to mostly using Kirnu now, I like the CC sequencer and seeing 32 steps on one page.

The preset browser for Synthmaster CM does not work in SONAR. It seems ok in Project 5 though.

I loaded CM Bazille a while ago and liked it a lot.

Ohmygod is cool, I have had it installed since the old days.

After reading this thread, Vielklang CM and G8CM might need a go. Maybe Curve CM as well.

So far most of the other things sound a little redundant in comparison to what I already have.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Instruments”