Thinking of moving back to Logic (How's Logic X?).

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

Hello.

I was originally going to go back to a PC so I bought Presonus Studio 1 (I was using Logic 9 at the time).

But I'm kinda' happy with the mac, and see no real advantage of switching over to the PC at the moment.

Anyhoo', S1 has been giving me an awful hard time and crashes constantly. It's becoming insanely difficult to write music so I reckon I'm done with it.

So, I was thinking about going back to Logic. Any thoughts on the latest iteration. Looks pretty good from reading the specks. Plus, I'd be going back to some of the FX that I really really missed. :)

Thanks in advance!

R.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Maybe it's no deal breaker to you but having a DAW crossplatform became a must for me. Reaper on pc is extremely fast and stable. For plugins I did miss Logic's when I went the Reaper route but now I can use m'y plugins in any DAW if I want to change I eventually built a perfect collection even more usefull than stock plugins to my taste.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Logic X can't be beaten when it comes to the price and to the features. And: it can be bought even at 160 EUR using i.e. sales promos on iTunes cards.

Very good piece of software.
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

Boone777 wrote:Maybe it's no deal breaker to you but having a DAW crossplatform became a must for me. Reaper on pc is extremely fast and stable. For plugins I did miss Logic's when I went the Reaper route but now I can use m'y plugins in any DAW if I want to change I eventually built a perfect collection even more usefull than stock plugins to my taste.
I'm not really a mac snob at all... But another thing that's keeping me away from a PC is that whole new interface thingey (I've not been working on a PC for about 6 years now). I don't like the look of all those funny squares. :scared:

Cheers,

R.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

MountainKing wrote:Logic X can't be beaten when it comes to the price and to the features. And: it can be bought even at 160 EUR using i.e. sales promos on iTunes cards.

Very good piece of software.
Yeah, for what it is, it's as chap as chips. Alchemy is a nice incentive too.

160e that's even cheaper again. :)

big Logic Fan here. its not a toy. Serious bang for the buck. As long as you can commit to Apple constant OS upgrade headaches....Logic really is an utterly awesome DAW for hardly any dough. Its worth 3x the price.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Long time user of Logic here, including the now Logic X. Very nice piece of software. However back when I was still using a Mac PPC, I bought S1 version 1 because it did things I wanted that I couldn't do with Logic 8 since I didn't yet have an Intel Mac.

With an Intel Mac, I got Logic 9, then Logic X. I much prefer X over 9.

I was going to sell S1, but then realized how many songs I actually did with it. So instead of selling, I revisited it and then upgraded to version 3. My computer was having some issues with both, so after a clean install of everything and a new SSD, now both are as smooth as butter. S1 never crashes for me anymore, and runs like a dream.

I realized that I love the workflow of S1 over Logic, even though Logic was my preferred DAW since version 4. Now I rarely open Logic...but it does have some perks of course. And yes, the price for what you get is a bargain, considering that it used to be $1000.

Robmobius wrote:
Boone777 wrote:Im a PC is that whole new interface thingey (I've not been working on a PC for about 6 years now). I don't like the look of all those funny squares. :scared:

Cheers,

R.
I've been on Win 8.1 for a couple years and have never had to look at the Metro GUI. I use a free utility called Classic Shell, it installs in a minute and you choose the theme you want - Win 7 or XP. (It has a lot of customization options, but I've never bothered with those).

Problem solved. It works with Win 10.

flugel45 wrote: Problem solved. It works with Win 10.
In Windows 10, you don't have Metro anymore unless you want it. It's pretty much a return to the origins, except that the Start menu has a kind of "Metroish" extension (but even that you can get rif of). So, if that was a reason to avoid PC, it's a poor and unjustified one.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Robmobius wrote:another thing that's keeping me away from a PC is that whole new interface thingey (I've not been working on a PC for about 6 years now). I don't like the look of all those funny squares.
Reinventing the wheel hasn't always been the best approach to making progress. Especially when the old wheel was round, and well-aligned. Fortunately though, Windows 10 has improved things considerably (by stepping backward oddly enough).

Now if MS could just do something about their forced-update paradigm that seems half-baked at best.

lessera wrote: Now if MS could just do something about their forced-update paradigm that seems half-baked at best.
That and force us to embark on that dull 2D flat GUI. At least they should give users a chance to choose Aero or not Aero.
Fernando (FMR)

flugel45 wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Boone777 wrote:Im a PC is that whole new interface thingey (I've not been working on a PC for about 6 years now). I don't like the look of all those funny squares. :scared:

Cheers,

R.
I've been on Win 8.1 for a couple years and have never had to look at the Metro GUI. I use a free utility called Classic Shell, it installs in a minute and you choose the theme you want - Win 7 or XP. (It has a lot of customization options, but I've never bothered with those).

Problem solved. It works with Win 10.
Ah... Thanks for the info'. That's good to know. :)

Crashing is usually due to plugins. Make sure thats the case or you may take the Crashes with you.

UltraJv wrote:Crashing is usually due to plugins. Make sure thats the case or you may take the Crashes with you.
Hmm... That's another good point. S1 goes ape with certain plugs.

Studio is quite stable here on OSX.
Logic is OK but I prefer S1 for it's better workflow.
Also S1 beat LPX in automation editing. You can easilly and quick draw complex automation shapes, a way it is not possible to do within LPX.
S1 lakes convenient pre fader metering as in LPX, I have to put a plugin as an insert on every channels I want to monitor.

So it depends on your needs but for the price, LPX wins (not included the insanly overpriced mac but that an other story).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”