Izotope releases Neutron: "A smarter way to mix"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino Neutron 3 Standard

rod_zero wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I made some test, it is true that for some material the suggested starting points are identical except for the settings of some filters in the eq and threshold for compressor.

On the other hand I like the results from using it, my mix sounds bright and well balanced, maybe too bright. But I am also worried that it could be detrimental to learn to properly eq and compress material relying too much on its suggestions.

I did like the sound from the exciter and transient shaper, I don't have a transient shaper right now.

I already got trash2 second hand in order to get Neutron through a crossgrade but I am very hesitant. Do I get neutron? or maybe get some two other plugs I have wanted for a a long time (Replika xt and DS10 transient shaper) and continue using live eq and compressor?

My demo expires today so I doubt I will continue testing it.
Is the crossgrade an introductory price? Or will it always be available?

The crossgrade will always be avaible but at full price, 149, right now you can get it for 99.
That would make my decision for me if I thought that I wanted it at all.

Well price is not my only concerning, I cant really decide if it will be really usefull or if I need it.
dedication to flying

Nightpolymath wrote:As a channel strip Alloy is still quite useful.
...and way cheaper on CPU. I really like Neutron, but I wish they'd have updated the Alloy GUI to fit the new style and included it in the MPB2.

rod_zero wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I made some test, it is true that for some material the suggested starting points are identical except for the settings of some filters in the eq and threshold for compressor.

On the other hand I like the results from using it, my mix sounds bright and well balanced, maybe too bright. But I am also worried that it could be detrimental to learn to properly eq and compress material relying too much on its suggestions.

I did like the sound from the exciter and transient shaper, I don't have a transient shaper right now.

I already got trash2 second hand in order to get Neutron through a crossgrade but I am very hesitant. Do I get neutron? or maybe get some two other plugs I have wanted for a a long time (Replika xt and DS10 transient shaper) and continue using live eq and compressor?

My demo expires today so I doubt I will continue testing it.

Is the crossgrade an introductory price? Or will it always be available?

The crossgrade will always be avaible but at full price, 149, right now you can get it for 99.

(Or $89 at JRR with the FORUM coupon :D )
Check the re-sellers, don't check the re-sellers. I don't care.

At the end after analyzing the mixes I made with Neutron I felt that it directed me towards a certain aesthetic that I am not sure is what I want to achieve, a very bright and IMHO "in your face" kind of sound.

And while the masking function is super usefull droping one instance on each track uses quite a bit of CPU and Neutron GUI becomes laggy.

I think the technology has a lot to be improved too, maybe version 2 will be great or other company versions of this.
dedication to flying

That's interesting because I seem to feel that Neutron made my mix less in my face and very balanced. More in line with professionally produced music. I always have had a roughness/grit to my mixes that I like but I felt was too rough. Strokes and folks I guess.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

rod_zero wrote: And while the masking function is super usefull droping one instance on each track uses quite a bit of CPU and Neutron GUI becomes laggy.
The masking features are the only thing interesting to me, and I generally have other EQ's and compressors I would rather use then having to use Neutron for everything, but the interconnected masking feature is extremely interesting to me, especially the part where it can supposedly be "dynamic", meaning, that conflicting frequencies will only be filtered out when the "other" track is actually hitting those frequencies.

Are there any other plugins or tricks with sidechains that can achieve that masking functionality reasonably easily? The fact that Neutron is making that dead-simple is very very interesting to me and I might pick it up just for that, but like I said, generally I have other EQ's I'd rather be using anyway, so..its kind of overkill to use this just for the masking feature, but I really do like that feature.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I wish people would read the manual. The masking feature uses a algoritm that is based on the psychoacoustics of masking. read the manual and this thread because I posted a link to the paper iZotope presented at the AES in Sept on the subject. This has been built into Neutron. so I doubt you'll find another tool that does exactly what Neutron does. Oh, and did I say: read the manual.

Is there anything else out there, or known tricks with side chains that does something similar, with or without whatever pyscho acoustic technology izotope says they are using?

The advanced version is more money then I want to spend at this time, but it has seperate modules, so does that mean the advanced version has seperate EQ only module that interconnects with other tracks and does all the masking stuff? I wish they would release only that, as a standalone product, I'd probably buy it immediately. For me Neutron is overkill.

The closest similar plugin (regarding masking) I can think of would be Trackspacer. But it's not the same.

Trackspacer is cool for sure, but compared to Neutron its kind of automatic brute force. I'm sure it makes a lot of space for a track by carving out broadly from another track, but then how much are you losing from the other track? Its a cool concept, but I see the beauty of Neutron being that the engineer is still making all the decisions, and it tries to help you identify narrow bands of frequency where a lot of collision is happening, and lets you the engineer handle each of those frequency bands as you see fit, handling them individually or not handling them, and leaving the rest alone.

not all frequency collisions are a bad thing. Sorta seems like TrackSpacer would throw out some baby with the bathwater.

Dewdman42 wrote:The advanced version is more money then I want to spend at this time, but it has seperate modules, so does that mean the advanced version has seperate EQ only module that interconnects with other tracks and does all the masking stuff? I wish they would release only that, as a standalone product, I'd probably buy it immediately. For me Neutron is overkill.
I'd like to know as well... to anyone who has tried the advanced version, does the separate EQ module have masking and learn?

^Yes.

Great... thanks :tu:

DMuzik wrote:I'd like to know as well... to anyone who has tried the advanced version, does the separate EQ module have masking and learn?
A nice thing is that iZotope offer 10-days full working demos. After that they're still working but with some audio dropout.

Return to “Effects”