Izotope releases Neutron: "A smarter way to mix"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino Neutron 3 Standard

xx JPRacer xx wrote:
DMuzik wrote:I'd like to know as well... to anyone who has tried the advanced version, does the separate EQ module have masking and learn?
A nice thing is that iZotope offer 10-days full working demos. After that they're still working but with some audio dropout.
I tried, but still W7 install error. :dog:
Cant wait to try this thing.

codec17 wrote:
xx JPRacer xx wrote:
DMuzik wrote:I'd like to know as well... to anyone who has tried the advanced version, does the separate EQ module have masking and learn?
A nice thing is that iZotope offer 10-days full working demos. After that they're still working but with some audio dropout.
I tried, but still W7 install error. :dog:
Cant wait to try this thing.
Was really hoping they would have fixed the Win7 install issues (and Studio One problems?) by now.. unlikely it'll be fixed before the introductory offer is over (in just a few more days..).

May have to pass on this one.. :?

I'm on Win 10 and had a install error too. I don't know if it's the same but if you have spaces in your vstpath (mine was "d:\vst plugins\x64") then it won't install. What I did is create a temporary dir just for this install (d:\izotope) and it worked. Then I moved all the files to my default vst plugins dir.

Do you know which model inspired Neuron's compressors? I mean, are they vca? opto?

Someone commented about iZotope support either in this thread or elsewhere, and, I've heard complaints before. I just had two distinct minor issues with new iZotope products, different products, FWIW, and they responded within a few days by email to both issues. One problem required two email exchanges, but, I'm happy with the outcome.

I'm not sure what problems other people have had but they seemed reasonably responsive to me given the magnitude of the issues involved.

I am not a very good mixer. In fact, I consider myself a piss poor mixer. I try, but I haven't been at this terribly long and I fear I've never really developed the feel for the task.

So I bought Neutron, threw it on a number of tracks from a song I've been struggling with since June and holy crap did this clean my mix up. I'm quite impressed -- in fact I might try to scale it back a tad as I was going more for a muddyish, 70s-Tangerine-Dream style anyway, but the way I had it I knew wasn't working.

I'm pretty happy with this thing. Hopefully I can pick apart what it does and learn a few things.

e: I've never really played with transient shapers either, and with Neutron's I stumbled into this weird thing on my bass where it has a clicky 'snap' every other note which I'm quite fond of. Nice.

Thinking of getting the basic version while the sale is still on.
I doubt I need the Advanced right now.

If you want a nice channel strip plugin with some cool features it's a solid buy at 99 bucks.

I don't know about the whole track assistant thing. It isn't as smart as they make it out to be, for example EQ a ton of excessive high end into a drum bus or something and put it on the "warm and open" mode and it will happily apply the exciter and boost with the EQ and make it even more of a disaster area up there. Similarly on that mode it seems to always boost your subs, just a matter of how much.

But if the input is in the ballpark of being right in the first place, it tends to do a bit better job, the masking display on the EQ is nice, the modules all seem to be of pretty good quality, and anyway $99 isn't bad even for a plain channel strip plugin if that's what you're looking for.

$88.11 at jrrshop.com with automatic discount and coupon code FORUM

No need to get Neutron Advanced if you have Ozone 7 Advanced IMO.

Fleer wrote:No need to get Neutron Advanced if you have Ozone 7 Advanced IMO.
Except they have different purposes. Ozone doesn't have the masking and track assistant or Neutrino stuff, etc. And slightly different modules even in the places they do overlap. But even then, their modules aren't the same.

I am guessing that most people aren't buying just for the EQ and compression alone. They are likely buying it for the whole of it's parts, and that includes the "intelligent" features (even if they are only semi-intelligent).

Or are you saying get the regular version of Neutron instead of Advanced if you already have Ozone advanced? Still wouldn't be the same thing, but I can see that argument a little more. If that is the case, disregard my first two paragraphs :hihi:

Brent
My host is better than your host

contrast wrote:If you want a nice channel strip plugin with some cool features it's a solid buy at 99 bucks.
Or is it? I don't know about that. Channel strip is something that you put on ever channel. I can easily put 50+ copies of Slate VMR and it barely uses any resources.

With Neutron I can get 6-7 instances before my PC start to collapse. It's great plugin and Izotope is amazing for trying to push new boundaries in a world where everyone and their mother is stuck trying to replicate 50 years old technology but CPU usage makes it unusable for the task it's supposed to do.

Ozone is also CPU killer but you are supposed to put one instance of it on mix buss so it's manageable. With Neutron... only way to use is to check the masking, fix it in other EQ plugin and delete Neutron.

^Exactly how I see it too. It's really nice, but for a channel strip, it abuses the CPU. Either optimize it heavily or wait 5-10 years for the hardware to catch up.

I can get 10 on one channel (so expecting ~40 when multitracking and using all 4 cores, albeit with nothing else running) with everything turned on (all modules, all bands, all dynamic EQs enabled, limiter, neutron mode, masking display). And of course you never actually use it that way, in realistic usage you can use many more than that.

I'm on a recently built 4.2ghz, 4 core desktop which is no slouch in terms of power. So, while I'll grant you it's not as easy on the CPU as some other channel strips, I don't think it can be called totally unreasonable on a modern machine.

koolkeys wrote:
Fleer wrote:No need to get Neutron Advanced if you have Ozone 7 Advanced IMO.
... Or are you saying get the regular version of Neutron instead of Advanced if you already have Ozone advanced? Still wouldn't be the same thing, but I can see that argument a little more. If that is the case, disregard my first two paragraphs :hihi:
Brent
Indeed what I meant, Brent :)

Return to “Effects”