Acoustic Physical Modelling Softsynths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:oooh, another 'list some synths' thread. exciting.
Well, this is about physical modelling so it is a bit differnt than the usal ones IMO.
in pointlessness, no.
If someone lists a PM synth I've never heard of before, that I can use in Logic, then not entirely pointless.

But I think I have heard of them all.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Gamma-UT wrote:
Krakatau wrote:well...as far as i know it seems to be a kind of additive synthesis, ,,,as is in its own way synful orchestra
That's right. Wallander does refer to "behavioural modelling", but this is along similar lines to Samplemodelling. It's not attempting to model a physical system directly but the sound it makes.
waveguide
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Noise into a pitched comb filter

electro wrote: waveguide
Arne Wallander's PhD thesis: "A Multi-Dimensional Interpolation Scheme for Improved Control of Sample-Based Synthesis"

Description from Wallander's own site: "All wind instruments in WI Orchestra are based on the WIVI technology, an additive synthesis/behavioral modeling pioneered by Wallander Instruments with the professional music production software WIVI."

Yeah, waveguide, sure. :lol:

i had the word structured in my memory as well, structured additive synthesis/behavioral modeling.

for physical models theres also harm visser and his models.

theres some other reaktor models too that are quite good.

i love wivi, i use it in my onstage rig a lot. its very very low cpu but still when used with a wind controller its pretty feely.

these are recorded live so its just natural playing from a wx5:

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/wiv ... ewayyouare

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/wiv ... pet1atrain

oh heres some vl70-m, i only had a couple days to chart and learn this tune:

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/klezmer-freilach

my understanding was that to move forward in any significant way they would have to model turbulence, which gets into chaos theory and starts to crush current cpu's. quantum computers might be a way past that.

i want a nice pan flute and a nice blues harmonica. id love a vl70m plugin.

In late 90's there was an audio card from Yamaha with YMF724 chipset. Simple and cheap, had one.
But this card's drivers for W98 (only the vxd version) had Sondius-XG - emulation of the VL70-like tone generator.
One-voice only, but it was there and it was good.

Afaik there is also VL technology included in some Yamaha softsynth modules from S-YXG series.

whyterabbyt wrote: in pointlessness, no.
rich discussion within a finite framework.

pipes are important. waveguide is like a beacon of light on the internet. we remember when communication was applied to erudition instead of apparently some kind of weird therapy, but i can understand, things being as they are.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Madrona Labs Kaivo

A favorite toy for me.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Do people on here use this?

http://www.bigbobsmusicworld.com/kontakt-scripts/wips

Looks awesome.

M

I had expected Sample Libraries to be long obsolete by now for nearly everything save Acoustic drums. I think MODO may be the turning point.

Tassman. Awesome sound, yuk GUI. Buy cheap on KVR marketplace like me :)

electro wrote:I had expected Sample Libraries to be long obsolete by now for nearly everything save Acoustic drums. I think MODO may be the turning point.
I am unsure still.

Instruments from sample modeling is done already many times for solo instruments. Solo instruments needing also good players for good sound, and good players being not so common.

This MODO was needed? I do not know. Maybe I will buy it for mockups, tho many people I know play well the guitars they own and it is easy to request them and have them play for recording. Viola and cello tho? Flute and clarinet? Less easy to find this person playing well this instruments and more expensive also.

Solo instruments from sample modeling tho, yes, I have many. Ensembles tho do not have very good sample modeling attempts I think. Ensemble sounds so different from solo by cascades of feedback between instruments and difference of timing and positioning between players plus also other things like this. Tho adding more solo copies together any which way, this is not a same similar effect! Not so easy to model this somehow, or maybe computers still are so slow for this?

Such turning point for me I say is a sample modeled ensemble violins. I wait for this.

You can't even get a single solo violin properly modelled, let alone an entire section. Could be a job for ARIA?

Return to “Instruments”