Help me find a quality keyboard for the iPad

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for a good keyboard for the iPad that has at least 37 keys, has velocity sensitive keys, has aftertouch, and some modulation. It must be in the $100-200 price range. The best keyboard I could find is the CME Xkey 37. Is there another controller in the price range that has better quality and can be mapped? BTW, does USB MIDI or Bluetooth take up more power when the keyboard is connected to an iPad?

Buy a compatible USB sound card with Midi and connect any midi keyboard. The Akai EIE (red) is what I use. It has a USB hub that works with the iPad as well.

What about Scarlett 2i4 or Steinberg Ur22mkII

The problem of an audio interface is you have one more thing to take with you. That's why I didn't talk about it. Basically you're no longer in a transportable configuration. Buying an audio interface just for a MIDI keyboard is a waste of money, as any MIDI over USB keyboard can connect directly to the iPad in principle.
If you want to stay light, the CME keyboard is your best bet.
The audio interface is only required if you want to record audio.
In which case I would probably choose Roland or Audient over Focusrite and Steinberg.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”