One Synth Challenge #93: OBXD by DiscoDSP & 2DaT (mmGhost Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Voted.
Though not having participated I simply had to. There was that one track that HAD to earn a five.
Greetings to all!
Ruedi

P.S.
wagtunes wrote:Why I torture myself with these contests?

God only knows.
Which goes to show there is no such thing as a free will. :phones:

wagtunes wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote:Again.....this contest is about fun, learning, improving your skills as a musician, sound designer, and mixing engineer. I care not who wins. I took 2nd the first time I entered this contest a couple of years ago and haven't come close to the prizes since.

I do this because I enjoy it. I have so many wonderful tools. Hardware synthesizers, eurorack setup, sequencers, fx boxes, and a boatload of software. This is a chance to just make a tune devoid of the painstaking process of figuring out what synth I want to use for what. Its a good reminder that a good tune usually comes together rather quickly when the focus is music, and not the tools. It kind of gets my workflow back in order. Having a deadline and limitations will do that.

I'm a complete amateur and always will be. I have no desire for fame or glory. This is my passion and main pastime outside of real life.

I completely ignore genre. The first thing I listen to is mixdown. I can hear immediately whether the person just recorded a bunch of tracks, or took the time to sit down in order to make their sounds shine, and sound cohesive. I can split the field in half right there. Then the good half I split into 3-5 based on sound design and music. I ignore whether I "like" the tune or not, but of course there must be some subconscious bonus for a tune that gets to you emotionally. To get a 5, the mix, music, and sounds all must be good.

Then the bottom half, I'm listening for people who wrote good music and created cool sounds but maybe don't yet have the skills in the mixdown department. Occasionally if the music is very good, I'll give a 4. I reserve 5's for the total package, irrespective of genre. Shoot, some of the tracks made....aren't all that musical, but still are extremely creative, and I easily recognize the skill required to create it. I think to myself, "how would I make that sound?"

If this isn't fun, then don't participate. If this just pisses you off, I'd go off and create on your own. Maybe go make a dozen tracks just for you....forget this group for a while.

I know there are times I'm making music for me, using my gear, using my fancy console emulations and compressors, spending 4 hours making a single fx patch on my modular. I need that sometimes whether I like the OSC synth or not. When I'm getting lost in my workflow, I come back here and get centered. Its about the music, forget your toys.....use this one synth and your DAW plugins, GO!

just my $0.02
Create on my own is pretty much what I do. My Soundcloud page is inching its way up to 400 tracks soon.

Why I torture myself with these contests?

God only knows.
You're competitive.....nothing wrong with that, unless it is interfering with your creativity. Votes haven't been tallied yet, right?
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EDGEK8D wrote: You're competitive.....nothing wrong with that, unless it is interfering with your creativity. Votes haven't been tallied yet, right?
No, not tallied until the 16th. And no, I never let anything or anyone interfere with my creativity. If I did, I'd be doing better on these. lol.

OK, I voted.

It was a good synth and there were a lot of good tracks.

Wagtunes, keep your head up buddy! Anytime you complete a song that is the "Win" and the "Prize". This contest is an exercise it has no bearing on weather you as an artist should continue to do what you love. If you enjoy making music than thats it keep going.

I can tell you with certainty that I understand how you feel, disappointment goes hand in hand with art, and I have had my fair share. Once I wrote a song for a "Jodie Foster" film called "The Brave One" It was the realization of a life long dream to finally have a song in a feature film. Well, a month later I got a call letting me know that they cut that scene. That disappointment along with a few more stole 7 years from my music life. I was sure that I would never write again, But you know what? I put that song in a music library and several years later it won an editors choice award and is on a bunch of music compilations now. So for all that time I could have been making more art but I tied my self worth as an artist to a few minor (in the grand scheme of things) disappointments.

I said all that to say you can give up it's very easy to do but it will haunt you till the end of time.

Cheers
Mike

Mjr5house wrote:OK, I voted.

It was a good synth and there were a lot of good tracks.

Wagtunes, keep your head up buddy! Anytime you complete a song that is the "Win" and the "Prize". This contest is an exercise it has no bearing on weather you as an artist should continue to do what you love. If you enjoy making music than thats it keep going.

I can tell you with certainty that I understand how you feel, disappointment goes hand in hand with art, and I have had my fair share. Once I wrote a song for a "Jodie Foster" film called "The Brave One" It was the realization of a life long dream to finally have a song in a feature film. Well, a month later I got a call letting me know that they cut that scene. That disappointment along with a few more stole 7 years from my music life. I was sure that I would never write again, But you know what? I put that song in a music library and several years later it won an editors choice award and is on a bunch of music compilations now. So for all that time I could have been making more art but I tied my self worth as an artist to a few minor (in the grand scheme of things) disappointments.

I said all that to say you can give up it's very easy to do but it will haunt you till the end of time.

Cheers
Mike
Mike, that is such a cool story. Is there any way for me to hear that song?

[/quote]

Mike, that is such a cool story. Is there any way for me to hear that song?[/quote]

Sure heres a spotify link https://open.spotify.com/track/5mYJpV9DxbPPrRiaDYvNZx

Mjr5house wrote:
Mike, that is such a cool story. Is there any way for me to hear that song?[/quote]

Sure heres a spotify link https://open.spotify.com/track/5mYJpV9DxbPPrRiaDYvNZx[/quote]

I'm getting a playlist of 20 songs. Which one is yours?

wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote:

Sure heres a spotify link https://open.spotify.com/track/5mYJpV9DxbPPrRiaDYvNZx[/quote]

I'm getting a playlist of 20 songs. Which one is yours?[/quote]

Oh sorry artist "Wildhouse" Song "Low"

Mjr5house wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote:

I'm getting a playlist of 20 songs. Which one is yours?[/quote]

Oh sorry artist "Wildhouse" Song "Low"[/quote]

You wrote that? Cool!

Now, let me tell you something.

That little bit of success that you had is 1000 times more than any success I've had in almost 40 years of writing music (which goes to show you that if you don't have any talent it doesn't matter how long you work at something) and I would give ANYTHING to have that little bit of success.

So be grateful for it. You've achieved something that millions of people have not achieved.

Congrats man! I am both envious and very happy for you.

wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote:

Oh sorry artist "Wildhouse" Song "Low"[/quote]

You wrote that? Cool!

That little bit of success that you had is 1000 times more than any success I've had in almost 40 years of writing music (which goes to show you that if you don't have any talent it doesn't matter how long you work at something) and I would give ANYTHING to have that little bit of success.

So be grateful for it. You've achieved something that millions of people have not achieved.

Congrats man! I am both envious and very happy for you.[/quote]

Thanks Man!

Talent is for kids! If you have been at it for 40 years than you did it for you! Nothing els matters.

I have learned that "The dream" is an infinite chase and it should be because if you get there than what. I have not achieved the vast majority of my hopes and dreams in my 43 years but... thats ok! I just keep going and so should you! Or quit but you will come back and realize you only punished yourself.

Cheers
Mike

Mjr5house wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Mjr5house wrote: Mike, that is such a cool story. Is there any way for me to hear that song?

Oh sorry artist "Wildhouse" Song "Low"
You wrote that? Cool!

Congrats man! I am both envious and very happy for you.
Thanks Man!

Talent is for kids! If you have been at it for 40 years than you did it for you! Nothing els matters.

I have learned that "The dream" is an infinite chase and it should be because if you get there than what. I have not achieved the vast majority of my hopes and dreams in my 43 years but... thats ok! I just keep going and so should you! Or quit but you will come back and realize you only punished yourself.

Cheers
Mike
Quit? Me? Neh, never. They'll bury me with my keyboard.

Voted! Just amazing tracks this time! Lots of 4s and 5s from me!

Mjr5house wrote:Sure heres a spotify link https://open.spotify.com/track/5mYJpV9DxbPPrRiaDYvNZx
is "Wildhouse" your artist name on Spotify? If so 'Asian Orbit' is dope. nice work. :phones:

This round gives me headache. Very hard to rate those tracks. I miss 4.5, 3.5 scores or better change scoring in voting from 1-5 to 1-10. Again same story that soundcloud doesn't like me. I add some comments on tracks on most of them are "gone" today. :x

After spending few hours listening - Voted.

Wags, I'll humbly put this idea out there (I've observed it in others and lived it myself). A bit of success or even a LOT of success won't change the way you feel about yourself or your work. That's gotta come from inside.

Return to “Instruments”