VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

Raddler1 wrote: It sounds like plastic to me,
You mean PlastiCZ :ud:

Raddler1 wrote:It sounds like plastic to me
Nah... not to me. Sound decidedly un-plastic.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

One thing I am not sure I like is the memory init preset, I mean it surely should be clean...no reverb delay or anything.
Nearly every other Synth I've owned has always had an honest Init.

I know it probably only takes a few seconds to create one but there's always that niggling little doubt that something is switched on that could be twisting the sound.
Even Rapid has an honest Init.

I like to judge things at ground zero.
Even so Avenger seems very cool, not my kind of Synth though.
Spire, Massive and Dune2 eat Avenger alive. :D
The trouble is those 3 Synths cost the best part of $420 so in that respect I can understand why Avenger appeals because it packs a lot of Synth power for $199

Raddler1 wrote:Tried the demo for a full day and i'm underwhelmed, not by the layout, nor the effects, nor the routing possibilities, but by that one thing that is my most obvious priority, the sound. It sounds like plastic to me, I'm a real snob when it comes to the sound of a synth and this was an easy decision for me not to buy it.
Have the same impressions somehow it doesnt Sound Great. More plasticy than tone2 :P

Imma Post some examples later
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

kurodo wrote:One thing I am not sure I like is the memory init preset, I mean it surely should be clean...no reverb delay or anything.

I know it probably only takes a few seconds to create one but there's always that niggling little doubt that something is switched on that could be twisting the sound.

Even so Avenger seems very cool, not my kind of Synth though.
Spire, Massive and Dune2 eat Avenger alive. :D
The trouble is those 3 Synths cost the best part of $420 so in that respect I can understand why Avenger appeals because it packs a lot of Synth power for $199
hmmm...not your synth, obviously. I use Spire. I hardly touch Dune2 (never was that fond of the workflow) and i "hate" massives sound (for some reason...i dunno). Avenger, Icarus, Rapid, Predator (2) and Repro-1 (no WT, i know), are my main synths at the moment. I love those. I find Avenger to be a great tool.

Oddity2 (no WT, i know) has a special place btw...

kurodo wrote:One thing I am not sure I like is the memory init preset, I mean it surely should be clean...no reverb delay or anything.

Avenger in the SYS/System menu has a "Init Preset Select" feature to select any preset as the default Init preset.
That way you could create your own Init preset the way you want it to be and use it as the default Init.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Avenger in the SYS/System menu has a "Init Preset Select" feature to select any preset as the default Init preset.
That way you could create your own Init preset the way you want it to be and use it as the default Init.
Cheers Ingonator, you have the patience of a saint!
I only have the demo and can't quite see where the Sys/System Menu is.
I'll take another look perhaps I am overlooking the obvious. Saturday Night beer goggles :)

Still think the memory Initialize should do the trick though, I mean load Preset, Initialize normally points to some of kind of Basic Init.

So for everyone calling Avenger a CPU hog, here are some objective numbers from a shootout (CPU meter from Reaper using similar preset in various synths):
Avenger 6%
Massive 24.8% (yes, that's right)
Zebra2 6%-12% (depending on filter type)
Rapid 7.4%
This was performed on an Intel Haswell Win10 64-bit system.
This clearly shows that efficiency of Avenger's DSP engine is excellent.

EDIT: here are some details what I tested
- Host samplerate 96kHz
- Buffer size 256
- Patch: 2 Oscs pure sawtooth unmodulated with each 7-voice unison/supersaw/whatever it is called, 24dB lowpass filter (chose the cheapest model in each synth) with a bit of envelope mod, no FX otherwise
- Hold 8 notes
- no extra oversampling active (isn't actually available in the tested synths)

EDIT2: forgot that GUI also take some chunk of CPU, so with GUI closed, Avenger performs even better (6%). Adding some Osc modulation (FM, XCITE mod by LFO, Sync), CPU load increases to 11%, still very reasonable. So I guess my point stands.
Last edited by karrikuh on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

karrikuh wrote:So for everyone calling Avenger a CPU hog, here are some objective numbers from a shootout (CPU meter from Reaper using similar preset in various synths):
Avenger 7.2%
Rapid 7.4%
What did you test? Did you use oversampling? How many voices?
Or is this just an avarage number from a small selection of presets? Cause over here, it is one of the heavier ones.

Talking about sound quality, we're so spoiled by the stellar products from u-he and other top manufacturers. I was only able to briefly demo Avenger, and didn't hear anything that wowed me. It's a standard sounding plugin with some really nice fx. Truly was expecting it to be much more.

karrikuh wrote:So for everyone calling Avenger a CPU hog, here are some objective numbers from a shootout (CPU meter from Reaper using similar preset in various synths):
Avenger 7.2%
Rapid 7.4%
Could you provide a sound file playing these presets in those synths? I'd like to hear the differences. Also I'd like to know what exactly you've chosen for your comparison. I mean a simple Saw won't be fair since it's just a shape reading process. There should be some modulating and filtering going on because that's what consumes cpu and influences sound/quality. Also the voice count is important.

Actually i was wrong and IT IS possible to modulate the little volume circles inside the sample stacked OSC. It just works only via the mod matrix.....this opens up a lot for me.

this is also possible via drag and drop, it was inactive .... >fixed in next version

msvs wrote:this is also possible via drag and drop, it was inactive .... >fixed in next version
Nice one!

msvs wrote:this is also possible via drag and drop, it was inactive .... >fixed in next version
Will it be possible to modulate the delay (fx unit) speed? Now we can't, but that would be cool to do :)

Return to “Instruments”