Which DC16 Entries Will You Vote For?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a (wannabe) songwriter, I am finding that songwriting tools are primarily more important than sound-shaping tools and virtual instruments. A person who make ambient music, or whatever, might disagree. And that is fine and understandable.

Having spent some time and played around with it, I have to say that Random Midi Arranger is the only DC16 entry that I think will be the most useful in the long run to me and to other songwriters as well, maybe. The software might also be useful not just to songwriters but to all sorts of music-makers, including people who make ambient music. The user's guide did state that the software is designed for electronic music-making but, again, methinks it could be usable for any kind of music-making, including rock music.

It seems like, possibly, that the developer spent a lot of time on it and it is an imaginative and complex and functional software and I think it's kind of unique for a freebie. And so I think am going to give it my highest vote in the end to show my appreciation. Also, I am thinking of making a video to show why I find Random Midi Arranger impressive. Keep in mind that I am still an amateur and my opinions are just that, of an amateur. But who knows, maybe pros might also be impressed by this free software.

I am not sure how I will use my remaining 4 votes yet because I am still about to test the other entries more thoroughly but I tend to vote for the ones that I believe I can get the most varied sounds of. How about you other testers and voters? How do you decide what to vote for? Have you already decided? Which ones?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I'm voting for my own entry first because I want to win, and also honestly believe (in a biased way) that my baby/obession/labor-of-love is the most interesting thing in the competiton.

As for the other votes, I'll have to test stuff thoroughly, but I'll vote for things I think I will end up using the most. The AXP amp sim might get a lot of use - I use their amp sim from the previous DC a lot. Full Bucket's synth seems potentially useful too, for music singers I know would want me to produce.

I hope, I'm not stepping on your toes there, but I think that's a totally inappropriate thread. People should simply try out what ever they wish to or can and then make their decision without some "3rd party"(?) trying to interfere more than they already do anyway. I find this kind of sneaky and instantly downgrades the integrity of what ever you're promoting here. Maybe find their thread, if they have one and add your praise there, will ya'?! Just sayin' ... :uhuhuh:

Taron wrote:I hope, I'm not stepping on your toes there, but I think that's a totally inappropriate thread. People should simply try out what ever they wish to or can and then make their decision without some "3rd party"(?) trying to interfere more than they already do anyway. I find this kind of sneaky and instantly downgrades the integrity of what ever you're promoting here. Maybe find their thread, if they have one and add your praise there, will ya'?! Just sayin' ... :uhuhuh:
+1

This thread is tacky and should be locked/closed. I was going to post and just say "mind your own business, I'll vote for whomever I wish." Also double negative points to any dev who's entered and posts in here, that goes beyond tacky. Of course we expect you to vote for your own entry, but it's beyond tacky to start talking about how you think that yours is the best.

:phew: Oh, thank goodness, I'm not alone! :lol: :tu:

Huh? I'm just a voter, I am not a developer. This thread is meant to expose the capabilities of the software entered in the Developers Challenge. If users/voters want to expose something they believe is useful to them then why not? It's open to anybody. It's good for exposure. It's like those reviews by buyers that you find on Amazon.com etc. Or like stating you will vote for Hilary Clinton because of whatever reason... before the election. And like that election... it's not like people saying they will vote for Hilary Clinton changed the outcome?

harryupbabble wrote:Huh? I'm just a voter, I am not a developer. This thread is meant to expose the capabilities of the software entered in the Developers Challenge. If users/voters want to expose something they believe is useful to them then why not? It's open to anybody. It's good for exposure. It's like those reviews by buyers that you find on Amazon.com etc. Or like stating you will vote for Hilary Clinton because of whatever reason... before the election. And like that election... it's not like people saying they will vote for Hilary Clinton changed the outcome?

My comments about discussing your own project weren't directed at you. I just have a problem with this sort of thing. I think that the way to do this tastefully is to respond in the threads that each dev creates for his or her own contribution. I imagine that there's some validity to discussing approaches for voting that might help newcomers,but really, it's not that hard, we can all figure it out, and I would hate for something like this to sway the competition.

I'll give it this much, it's made me think about how I'm going to vote this year and it might not be what other people do, but I'm unconcerned about that.

But the thing is, for example, take the Random Midi Arranger, it seems the developer is not too active forum-wise and may never start a thread at all.

Besides, in another thread, and perhaps other threads, people are already stating which software they will vote for. Look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470129&start=210

People state their opinions on what they think is the best DAW for them, and what is the best synth VST synth and what is the best sound-shaping tools for them all the time. So why can't I/everyone state what I/we think is the best DC16 entry to me/us? Because people are easily swayed? Methinks people are not sheep.

harryupbabble wrote:But the thing is, for example, take the Random Midi Arranger, it seems the developer is not too active forum-wise and may never start a thread at all.

Besides, in another thread, and perhaps other threads, people are already stating which software they will vote for. Look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470129&start=210

People state their opinions on what they think is the best DAW for them, and what is the best synth VST synth and what is the best sound-shaping tools for them all the time. So why can't I/everyone state what I/we think is the best DC16 entry to me/us? Because people are easily swayed? Methinks people are not sheep.

Well, by definition, you can, and conversely, the rest of us can state that we think that it's tacky. Again, I think that it's a different thing to talk about varies entries in different threads than it is to start a "who are you voting for" thread.

When I start threads I don't think I have ever considered being tacky as a reason to not start a thread. Should I now, before I start threads, think "Is this thread I am going to create be considered by some people to be tacky and should I care?" The definition of tacky is: in bad taste. I mean glam rock is kind of tacky to some people but glam rock artists didn't stop because of the possible perception of them being tacky from continuing on as themselves?

But if developers are so insecure that this thread might sway people (I doubt if people are that easily swayed) to vote for someone else's creation instead of their creation then maybe their creation was not strong enough? And is the gathering of opinions within a thread so wrong compared to having those opinions all over the place? Centralization is kind of efficient. No? And why can't both methods exist? Why must it be just one way? Yeah, why can't tacky ways not co-exist with whatever? And what is tacky? Isn't that word subjective?

I wish more users/voters would state or make videos of what it is about a software that impressed them (Oh wait, they do that all the time.) or why they will vote or have voted for that software. It would be from the user's viewpoint instead of just from the developer's point of view (of their own product).

Anyhoo, I am off to try to do just that, I am off to try to make a video of why Random Midi Arranger is impressive to me. If it is against the KVR rules to post a link of that video here (If I ever do make that video) then of course I shall abide by the rules and not post a link. And if this thread is breaking some KVR rules then the mods can do what needs to be done. But if the possibility of being tacky is all that is in the way of me creating that video then I don't think that's enough to me to never even start. Okay, then, so, bye for now.

Dude, just get over it. I think that it's tacky to ask people to announce who they're voting for. It has nothing to do with developers being insecure. I don't even know what that means.

I think that you're doing more harm for your favorite entry than good. Why not just change the title of this thread to something like "I'm really digging the DC16 Random Midi Arranger" ? Then it will be about the thing that you want to talk about.

Harry, just rename your subject! Edit your first post and rename it to: "Random Midi Arranger Fan Thread!"
Then you can have its creator tell you, if he's as happy about it as you are about his thing. ;)

When you grow up, you will learn that it's bad form to ask people who they vote for. It makes the whole process much uglier than it needs to be. Needless to consider the- forgive me- stupidity of doing so. Why would you ask? Are you uncertain, whether your choice is acceptable? Do you seek confirmation? Well, you already have a real fan in the Ork Lady maker... :hihi: ...has he managed to sway you yet and go for even greater nonsense? :ud: (sorry)

Guys, I don't want to change the title of my thread because I really do want to know what voters want to vote for. That way maybe I would pay it more attention because other testers may test these software differently than I do and so maybe I might not dismiss them (the software) so easily. And vice versa. It's like think tanking. Someone else may catch what I might miss. If I change my thread's title to "I'm really digging the DC16 Random Midi Arranger" and "Random Midi Arranger Fan Thread!" then it becomes all about Random Midi Arranger rather that the thread being all about other entries, other people's reasons for liking other software entered in the DC16.

Regarding the "you will learn that it's bad form to ask people who they vote for"... I do/did that all the time offline. Before the you-know-who was elected, I did ask a few people (not online) questions similar to but not exactly "whyever would anybody vote for he-who-was-born-on-third-base-but-is-telling-everyone-he-hit-a-triple, wall-loving guy?". I really did want to know. I once heard someone said it's better to be blunt than to beat around the bush. For a while I thought that that latter part of that saying had something to do with masturbation but once I knew that it didn't have anything to do with masturbation then I kind of concluded that yes it's better to be direct, especially if you are data mining.

You know, it's good to inquire about things you don't understand, but it's bad to pick sides while you should be waiting for answers!

By the way, I'm not "asking" you to change your thread's title, I am suggesting it! This is unless you want to appear "scheinheilig", which may translate as "hypocritical", but it doesn't quite fit the bill. It literally means "to pretending to appear holy" or for that matter "innocent", while driven by a different agenda. Get your cred back while you can! ;)

I'm going to vote for the best entries!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”