Avenger vs. Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reaktor is so 2001. :)

I am looking for a serum alternative ( I'm anti mouse head and would never touch serum or it's limited filters) and rapid kind of looks like it fits the bill. I'm thoroughly boning for the do everything avenger though.

Dasheesh wrote:Reaktor is so 2001. :)

I am looking for a serum alternative ( I'm anti mouse head and would never touch serum or it's limited filters) and rapid kind of looks like it fits the bill. I'm thoroughly boning for the do everything avenger though.
What about Icarus?

There are some companies I'm simply not interested in... tone 2 is one. It's just not me. I don't like the GUI, I don't like the filters, I don't like the copy protection. RApid is starting to sound like my jam. I'm wondering if it can do the same stuff that synth master can do though. I mean, is it going to open new doors if I'm already entrenched in synthmaster?

I'm going to hang up and listen.

Dasheesh wrote:There are some companies I'm simply not interested in... tone 2 is one. It's just not me. I don't like the GUI, I don't like the filters, I don't like the copy protection. RApid is starting to sound like my jam. I'm wondering if it can do the same stuff that synth master can do though. I mean, is it going to open new doors if I'm already entrenched in synthmaster?

I'm going to hang up and listen.
Ah, i get it.

Rapid and Synthmaster are 2 different things, if you ask me.

The strong points for Rapid are the wavetables, the layers and the way fx routing works (although the routing can be a tad more flexible in the future maybe)

The strong points for Synthmaster are the filters (from 2.8 onwards, imho), the way modulation (fm and pm) works and the flexible source routing (osc, filters mods and fx)

I'm really interested in reading that rapid is supposedly getting wavetable importing, and I'm assuming it can import single waves as well. That would give me something new and needed. It also implies a further future development. Sounds like it has more grit to it as well, I'm a fan of that whole daydream dirt and grit sonic youth type vision. It sounds less precise but warmer.

Dasheesh wrote:I'm really interested in reading that rapid is supposedly getting wavetable importing, and I'm assuming it can import single waves as well. That would give me something new and needed. It also implies a further future development. Sounds like it has more grit to it as well, I'm a fan of that whole daydream dirt and grit sonic youth type vision. It sounds less precise but warmer.
Yeah, would be really interesting to see further development. Especially the custom import possibility. :D

exmatproton wrote: one synth on an island: Reaktor.

But, between these 2 I tend towards Rapid.
That is interesting.
Could you develop just a bit?
Reaktor is not known for is, let's say, user friendliness.
Totally powerful environment though.
I would have thought that, for this reason, Avenger with all its possibilities witch also lead to more complexities would have been your choice.

nordickvr wrote:

That is interesting.
I would have thought that, for this reason, Avenger with all its possibilities witch also lead to more complexities would have been your choice.
It comes all down to what fits my workflow and the sound. Don't take me wrong, i love Avenger, i bought it and i could play with it the whole day (which i am doing/alternating between rapid and avenger). But there is something in the filters and the wavetables i really like. Super subjective ofcourse. But when it sounds good, creativity won't stop because of the lack of 1 or 2 possiblities.

However, i find Reaktor the basic starterpoint for any DAW musician. Especially with blocks, monark blocks, driver blocks and the 70+ old ensembles (+ user base....).....that thing is endless fun. BUT, it isn't the most easy thing to work with (when digging deeper) and sometimes you just want to play. Rapid does that, with the sound that fits me a bit more, compared to avenger.

exmatproton wrote:
nordickvr wrote:

That is interesting.
It comes all down to what fits my workflow and the sound. Don't take me wrong, i love Avenger, i bought it and i could play with it the whole day (which i am doing/alternating between rapid and avenger). But there is something in the filters and the wavetables i really like. Super subjective ofcourse. But when it sounds good, creativity won't stop because of the lack of 1 or 2 possiblities.

However, i find Reaktor the basic starterpoint for any DAW musician. Especially with blocks, monark blocks, driver blocks and the 70+ old ensembles (+ user base....).....that thing is endless fun. BUT, it isn't the most easy thing to work with (when digging deeper) and sometimes you just want to play. Rapid does that, with the sound that fits me a bit more, compared to avenger.
Makes sense, of course.
I'm totally with you about Reaktor + Avenger.
I'm anxious to give a try to Rapid since this synth seems to have his own thing too.
Waiting for the Mac version over here.
I was thininkg about other pretty inspiring synths but let's not derail the thread.

Which of these two synths can make better hypersaw lead? Which one is closer to Virus? Which one sits better in a dense mix?

HcDoom wrote:Which of these two synths can make better hypersaw lead? Which one is closer to Virus? Which one sits better in a dense mix?
Neither of them has a dedicated hypersaw oscillator like Virus but in Rapid it is possible to make very thick and lush hypersaw leads by stacking various wavetables (e.g. basic waves and analog saws) with different unison and detune settings. Not that they sound identical or close to the Virus hypersaw but they do sound good. I only have the demo of Avenger, but the first results I was getting with its V-saw module were also nice.

Overall I'm finding that Rapid really comes close to Virus in terms of '"warmth" and "thickness".

I may post some examples of Rapid hypersaws later.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
HcDoom wrote:Which of these two synths can make better hypersaw lead? Which one is closer to Virus? Which one sits better in a dense mix?
Neither of them has a dedicated hypersaw oscillator like Virus but in Rapid it is possible to make very thick and lush hypersaw leads by stacking various wavetables (e.g. basic waves and analog saws) with different unison and detune settings. Not that they sound identical or close to the Virus hypersaw but they do sound good. I only have the demo of Avenger, but the first results I was getting with its V-saw module were also nice.

Overall I'm finding that Rapid really comes close to Virus in terms of '"warmth" and "thickness".

I may post some examples of Rapid hypersaws later.
im heavily interested how avenger and rapid hypersaws are compared :)!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Dasheesh wrote: I'm a fan of that whole daydream dirt and grit sonic youth type vision. It sounds less precise but warmer.
I am too!!! The closest thing for me has been Arcsyn. It gets me in that space quickly.

I think Rapid looks interesting. It actually seems, to me, more of an Omnisphere competitor in a lot of ways -- multilayer, multi synthesis, semi-sandbox. I'm going to demo it in a couple of days so I can't speak to the sound as of yet.

i first wasn't interested to rapid, allthough the demo presets sound very cool. I was impressed by rapid, but i was thinking that avenger would be the perfect synth, because of much more features and all the hype. So I thought i'll wait for avenger, which will be the bether option than rapid.
After testing the demo of avenger, I wasn't fascinated into the sound like on rapid. So i compared these two synthdemos and got very quick, realy cool results with rapid, by modulating some wavetables with the lfos.
The quality in avenger sounds for me standard, which i already have by a lot of other synths, but rapid lights out of them.
The good sound I noticed by first testing rapid, increased my expectations about avenger. I was thinking when rapid sounds that good, how much bether will avenger sound, with these more possibilities and effects.
When rapid gets wavetable and sample import it would be my goto synth of these two. It's easier for me to make own presets and has a bether workflow. Also I dislike the smal mod matrix in avenger. Comparing the sound of these two synths, the avenger has nothing special for me.
I also was fascinated by the legend and repro, allthough I have similar VAs with more features, but not with this fat sound. So + 1 for rapid

would be nice if the demo of rapid has full demo content, so it would be easier two decide

Return to “Instruments”