808 sounds in modern music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MogwaiBoy wrote:Saying that half of us would have never even heard of Skinny Puppy is slightly condescending.
As someone who had never listened to Skinny Puppy until this thread, I must disagree. Clearly you aren't among the "half" that he was talking about.

I wonder what the average age of active KVR members is, and if/how it has changed over time. Pop stars seem to be young, and as the mainstays get older, they are generally replaced by the young upstarts. Is this true for other genres?

Then there's also the issue of musical taste. Some of us grew up on jazz and classical, and our parents went so far as to break or throw away records/cds/tapes made by deviants who were poisoning the minds of the youth. Or, usually, they just wouldn't buy them. Being kind of poor growing up, I didn't have the luxury of picking out my own albums; I had to dig through whatever my parents/uncles/etc didn't want anymore. And my mom wasn't buying Skinny Puppy albums. Hell, I was raised to think that James Taylor was the pinnacle of rock, that Steely Dan was very edgy, etc. And my friends were all into dumb "Barbie Girl" oontza-oontza 90s bubblegum crap, or whatever marginally talented 90s pop stars were on the radio. Either that, or ska-punk :dog:

And by the time I had a job, and thus, the means to procure my own album selections, it was the year 2000 and there was a lot to catch up on. There's simply too much music for a freshly-mind-expanded teenager to have heard everything.
It's nice that you have "been there, done that," but assuming we should all be as informed and as "hip" as you is actually just as condescending. Some people are less fortunate. :wink:

it's alright mate, guy needs to tell the world, let the man talk! only worthless cretins have never heard of sloppy poppy, it's a total value statement. just pee, pee, all over xoxos like a giant toilet.

the only time i ever see a human face is when it's throwing up signed the toilet. no actually i used to be a certified asswipe, once someone wiped shit on my face for forty five minutes direct from the asshole. at $6/hr that was $4.50.

when you get hip to that, you'll realise, what you say on a forum doesn't degrade me.

paul's boutique is twenty eight years old. used to be me and my crew were out breaking windows, now windows buggers itself with every update.

you know, about that $4.50,

once a guy said to me, "i've got $5" thinking it would sound all like, "i can get to shit on you too haha"

but a short amount of time later, it sounded like he was saying he got it for 50 minutes.

instead of taking me out take your girl to dinner signed the tao te ching.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Please pass the Salvia Mr. Leffanta, I haven't turned drooly somersaults in the jungle temple for about a decade now.

i dunno mate, sometimes it freaks me out when someone posts as if my existence isn't an affront to humanity and the entire universe.

dsp and plugins? f**k that, let's piss on leffanta, that's a good idea for a forum. a jostle in a crowd, and some indignance in "i'm a proper gentleman" language, no one will be the wiser.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: the only time i ever see a human face is when it's throwing up signed the toilet. no actually i used to be a certified asswipe, once someone wiped shit on my face for forty five minutes direct from the asshole. at $6/hr that was $4.50.
Sounds like you were ripped-off.
(I'd definitely haggle for at least $9/hr next time).

As for the OP, tbh it stems from the lack of risk-taking prevalent, and arguably required, for mainstream chart-topping fodder.
This extends, amongst other things, into the tedious lyrical 'sex-baby-money-posturing' shite, over-use of 4/4 beats (usually within a very limited bpm range), 'All About Eve' pop starlets and cliched occasional guitar bollocks.

So the 808 itself as a tool is still decent (although I prefer other drum machines like the Vermona).
It's just the lack of imagination, and the lack of scope allowed for this within the mainstream, that means plenty of next year's mainstream shite will be rinse and repeats from the previous beatzzz.

Return to “Production Techniques”