I am having some problems with my ESQ-1.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When my Filter "FREQ" parameter is high enough every eighth key I play will skip or just not play. Sometimes it will fizz in or bubble in or there will be a bump sound before or during the note plays or sometimes the eighth note won't play at all. Turning down the Filter "FREQ" parameter usually gets rid of the problem but I don't like knowing that there are some sounds I can't get too. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I have done Filter tuning and everything checked out. (Values were between 146-153.) I have played eight keys with the filter "FREQ" turned down and all the voices seem to be function as in when I press down nine keys the first key cuts out as it should. I have done all the tests that I could from the outside of the synth, everything passed, and have not opened it up yet. Could this be a software problem? The software version is 3.40. I did do a factory reset and it did not help or atleast I don't think it did. I will be updating that in the future and I do plan to open it up later today or tommorow. I do have a vintage synth repair place near to me and was wondering if any of you could point me toward the problem or even a possible solution. I have been asking around on forums and noone seems to know whats wrong... well actually noone seems to care as I have gotten no replies. The guy I bought it from does except thirty day returns but I would rather not go that route unless repairs seem too expensive. I really like this synth and really want to get it working! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Here's a video that demonstrates my problem that I took. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbGoGjwuSI

This is probably the wrong place to ask for help with something like that. You'd have much better luck on the Analogue Heaven mailing list, or possibly muffwiggler.com. Good luck!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:This is probably the wrong place to ask for help with something like that. You'd have much better luck on the Analogue Heaven mailing list, or possibly muffwiggler.com. Good luck!
Will definitely check those forums out. Ichose this site because someone has asked on here before regarding an ESQ-1 and had got useful replies.

Good chance that it's a faulty CEM chip. It may be that the fault only shows up when the CV for cutoff is at or above a particular point. I can't recall for sure, but, I believe that at minimum you can use the multi-timbral capability of the ESQ to isolate a particular voice such that a particular chip is always assigned to a monophonic voice. If you can, then you can likely verify whether it is the CEM by isolating it and swapping it with another voice and see if the problem moves.

ghettosynth wrote:Good chance that it's a faulty CEM chip. It may be that the fault only shows up when the CV for cutoff is at or above a particular point. I can't recall for sure, but, I believe that at minimum you can use the multi-timbral capability of the ESQ to isolate a particular voice such that a particular chip is always assigned to a monophonic voice. If you can, then you can likely verify whether it is the CEM by isolating it and swapping it with another voice and see if the problem moves.
If it is a faulty CEM, you may be able to get a replacement from synthparts.com.

ghettosynth wrote:Good chance that it's a faulty CEM chip. It may be that the fault only shows up when the CV for cutoff is at or above a particular point. I can't recall for sure, but, I believe that at minimum you can use the multi-timbral capability of the ESQ to isolate a particular voice such that a particular chip is always assigned to a monophonic voice. If you can, then you can likely verify whether it is the CEM by isolating it and swapping it with another voice and see if the problem moves.
I'm a bit of a beginner with synths. The ESQ-1 is my first synthesizer and definitely not my last. Due to this I am a bit confused. Are you saying that I should dive into the OS of the synth and figure out how to isolate a CEM to figure out which one is failing? Or are you saying I should open it up and re-arrange or isolate the CEMs by removing others and testing each one out. Thanks!

deastman wrote: If it is a faulty CEM, you may be able to get a replacement from synthparts.com.
What I was wondering is if I have to get one that was already in an ESQ-1 or if I can just get a new replacement chip for it. If so I will buy some immediately. Was also wondering if I could open it up and use a voltage meter or even just look at them to tell which chip was failing.

ghettosynth wrote:...isolate a particular voice such that a particular chip is always assigned to a monophonic voice. If you can, then you can likely verify whether it is the CEM by isolating it and swapping it with another voice and see if the problem moves.
yeah this... check if the problem is isolated to one particular voice, there's 16 voices?? sorry i'm in a different country to my ESQ-1 right now, so i can't do a walkthrough with you... but yeah, it may be just one of your 'timbres' f**king out. Good luck, they're a bit of a pain in the ass at times :P

sqigls wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:...isolate a particular voice such that a particular chip is always assigned to a monophonic voice. If you can, then you can likely verify whether it is the CEM by isolating it and swapping it with another voice and see if the problem moves.
yeah this... check if the problem is isolated to one particular voice, there's 16 voices?? sorry i'm in a different country to my ESQ-1 right now, so i can't do a walkthrough with you... but yeah, it may be just one of your 'timbres' f**king out. Good luck, they're a bit of a pain in the ass at times :P
Just eight voices in an ESQ-1 The CEMS should be socketed.

yeah i was thinking this just as i clicked submit. Eight voices sorry.

Here's the service manual, which includes diagnostic test procedures.

http://www.neatcircuits.com/ensoniq/esq-tech.pdf

and there you have it folks.
the relatively non-retarded wing of KVR coming through for the new synth guy!
There IS hope for the world.

sqigls wrote:and there you have it folks.
the relatively non-retarded wing of KVR coming through for the new synth guy!
There IS hope for the world.
This made me laugh :hihi: ! I have posted on 6-7 different forums and gotten helpful answers for each. I will be re-seating the CEMs when I get home and if that fails I will try to isolate a failing CEM or other chip and buy a replacement if I do find one. If the actual connector on the mainboard is broken I will bring it in to be serviced. I printed the service manual out the day after I got the synth and there is a vintage synth repair place near to me so if I need to bring it in I got the stuff I need. I want to have all the voltages checked and . I am happy I got one with just this flaw and I really do hope it is only a faulty CEM chip! Thank you all so much! Have a nice night and happy holidays! :)

Edit: Now I know this is a stupid question and I'm probably right but I want to be the most gentle and safe when doing this repair. What do you recommend when grounding yourself? Should I just touch a large metal grounded object and be off touching it periodically to discharge any pesky electrons or should I take extra precautions with anti-static spray and an anti-static strap?

I have disassembled and re-assembled the synth and everything works as it did before I opened it up. I hope I didn't mess up anything in the synth. Really should have brought it to a professional instead of opening it up myself for nothing as I do not have the proper tools to remove the CEM or SSM chips. The only thing that I got out of this was learning a lesson and possibly making the problem worse. After I reassembled it and put it back where it was before I turned it on and it held one note indefinitely and pressing other notes would do nothing except make a bump sound. I was absolutely terrified and unplugged it and tilted it on it side to move some of the dirt that dislodged when I opened it all the while praying that I didn't mess it up. I was shaking with fear that I had broken it. I plugged it back in and it worked like it did before I opened it... A stupid choice to open it but I did learn a lesson. If you don't have the technical expertise to open something... bring it to a professional or you are in for a terrifying and possibly costly ride. Thankfully for me everything seems to work fine. One of the most stressful things I've ever done. I have a question though... What is the point of the metal shield? I did not put the metal shield back in because it was a chore to get it out and it was a terrifying experience trying to get it out as the connectors were hard to disconnect. Is it normal for the connectors to be exceptionally difficult to disconnect? I was scared I'd break the main board with how hard they were to disconnect. I did do it gently by putting part of a nail clipper into the latch and slowly wiggling it out. If the shield is important to the overall functionality then I will by all means put it back in.

dudefinal wrote:... The guy I bought it from does except thirty day returns but I would rather not go that route unless repairs seem too expensive. I really like this synth and really want to get it working! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Depends on what you paid for it?
Do you really want to spend the time troubleshooting/repairing it?

If it was advertised as fully functioning, I would simply return it and then look for one which is!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”