New Soundtoys Echoboy Jr. :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

incubus wrote:Crap, now I want a Martini :shrug:
Get one to go :) :hyper:

The GUI on the Jr. is much better than the one of the full version. The GUI of the most SoundToys plug ins (the older ones) is just horrible - and I look at it on a 30" calibrated monitor. As a bundle owner I hope the other, fiddly to operate plug ins get a face lift very soon too.

your martini sir.
sorry about the delay.

dreamvoid wrote:The GUI on the Jr. is much better than the one of the full version. The GUI of the most SoundToys plug ins (the older ones) is just horrible - and I look at it on a 30" calibrated monitor. As a bundle owner I hope the other, fiddly to operate plug ins get a face lift very soon too.
They were looking to hire a pro-designer there a while back. It's 'in the works' I guess.

Just got the official 'Who Shot JR' announcement:
Because you already own Soundtoys 5, EchoBoy Jr. is yours FREE (reg $99).
:party: Again.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Still not quite sure how the high/low cut works. Does it shift the frequency of the filter or does it increase the amount of reduction?

This is what the manual says:
"The Low and High Cut controls are used to adjust the frequency content of the echoes based on the currently selected Echo Style."

Damn, I just don't like it when knobs don't tell you what they are doing and it's only possible to dial in some abstract numbers that could mean anything... Call me nit-picky, but it bothers me and it kept me from buying it, which is a shame, because apart from that it's just perfect and the price is reasonable.
Last edited by GrabtharsHammer on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

um, yeeeah
both, i'd say
cut = reduction
low = low
high = um... high

you see, high cut, reduces the high frequencies
and low cut, um... reduces the low frequencies

now you can cut the nit-picking and part with your hard earned money :)

you're welcome.
I'm going back to my planet now...

I know what a high/low cut is. I'm not THAT stupid. ;-)

I just would like to know how the controls of the plugin work. Do they affect the slope (dB/oct.), the cutoff frequency (Hz) or - more unlikely - the amount of reduction (dB) of the filter? And if it's the frequencies... how do the numbers relate to the value in Hz?

GrabtharsHammer wrote:I know what a high/low cut is. I'm not THAT stupid. ;-)

I just would like to know how the controls of the plugin work. Do they affect the slope (dB/oct.), the cutoff frequency (Hz) or - more unlikely - the amount of reduction (dB) of the filter? And if it's the frequencies... how do the numbers relate to the value in Hz?

But does that really matter? Isn't it enought to just use your ears to determine how the sound is affected? :P

Why don't you write to the Soundtoys and ask - and share that info with us, too. :)

2ZrgE wrote:But does that really matter? Isn't it enought to just use your ears to determine how the sound is affected? :P
As an amateur musician I like to know what the controls are doing because if I hear AND see what's happening it's much easier for me to learn and to understand => makes me a better musician.

It's not that easy with EchoBoy. The lo and hi cuts react differently depending on the model you choose. Of course they generally cut, but always in different ways. They're not simple cuts that always deliver the same result. I'd say they're integrated in different signal paths and/or they're of different types (slope and Q) depending on the model.

Otherwise they'd be just filters at the output of the plugin, just before the mix and output gain, or so.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

GrabtharsHammer wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:But does that really matter? Isn't it enought to just use your ears to determine how the sound is affected? :P
As an amateur musician I like to know what the controls are doing because if I hear AND see what's happening it's much easier for me to learn and to understand => makes me a better musician.
So - why don't you (without any high or low cut on the plugin) just feed the "wet" signal in to a signal analyzer and then an eq? Then you'll know *exactly* what it's doing.

I don't think it will make you a better musician though - you'll just have a better idea how your delay signal will sound :)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Wow, the new GUI is just so much better.

I hope that SoundToys will also adapt Echoboy Sr. to have such a GUI, and also all older plug-ins in the long run.

It seems that Echoboy JR. is not included in the Effect Rack, and therefore can not be loaded into it. An oversight by SoundToys?

Novalis wrote:... It seems that Echoboy JR. is not included in the Effect Rack, and therefore can not be loaded into it. An oversight by SoundToys?
they'll be updating the bundle soon to include this.

Harry_HH wrote:Why don't you write to the Soundtoys and ask - and share that info with us, too. :)
Okay, here is the information I got from Soundtoys:
"Thanks for the question! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying EchoBoy Jr! The Low Cut and High Cut controls are not simple high pass and low pass filters, and function more like macro controls for several parameters "under the hood." This is why the parameter values are shown on a scale from 0.0-1.0 and not displayed in terms of hertz or decibels. The effect of Low Cut and High Cut will change based on the Echo Style that you have selected. For instance, the High Cut has very little effect on the BBD inspired Memory style because it is already pretty dark and rolled off in the high end. The default frequency response of the Cheap Tape style is much wider and the High Cut control can do a nice job of controlling the high end if you are using it on if you're using it on a brighter source. I would recommend trying out the full range of the Low Cut and High Cut on all the styles to get a sense for how they work. If you are having trouble hearing their effect, I would try throwing a spectral analyzer plug-in after EchoBoy Jr. to take a closer look at how the frequency response changes when you turn those knobs. In most cases, I like to use the Echo Style selector to dial in the tone of the echo, and reach for the Low Cut and High Cut for additional control when I need it."

Return to “Effects”