Avenger vs. Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I don't know about Rapid, but FFT feature inside of Avenger is really great.

I don't know how I missed it till now, but I was just like.. I'm in, I went to buy Rapid and realized it was PC only :(. So no sale for me. I'll have to buy in if a Mac version becomes available.

Just gave Rapid another go, this time with filter treble turned down. ;) Surely sounds good. But, does it offer me anything wich i don't have with the likes of Spire, Helix, Z3TA 2, and other synths? I don't think so. Actually the filters, while not featuring the ear piercing sound on high resonance values, remind me off the ones in Z3TA 2, sort of have a pretty digital edge to them, which can be a bit harsh. The supersaw sounds good, but, not better than the one in Spire, or in Sylenth1, IMO. Filter envelope isn't bad either, but, i already have that better too. What i find great is that you have tooltips, when you hover the mouse over a control, that is exemplary (who needs a manual that way?). I can't quite see though, why people find that the name says it all, and the operation is very "rapid". I don't find it faster than other synths, some things are even more tedious (for example the phase control, especially as, in the init setup, the phase is set to reset, and you always have to set it too 100% again).

All in all, yeah, good synth. But, for that price, it should offer me some arguments why i should choose it over my existing synths. It doesn't. But, i have to admit, that less and less new synths do. Avenger isn't really worth the expense for me too, i have synths which sound better, and i don't need the whole workstation appeal, i can always just replicate that, just like with the layers in Rapid, by just using multiple instances of the synth. Just my 2c, YMMV, IMHO, and consult my lawyer in case you felt offended. :hihi:

Nonetheless, i wish both developers all the best with their synths, two more quality synths "made in germany", which is cool, and shows that we really have a stronghold here in that regard. :tu:

chk071 wrote:Just gave Rapid another go, this time with filter treble turned down. ;) Surely sounds good. But, does it offer me anything wich i don't have with the likes of Spire, Helix, Z3TA 2, and other synths? I don't think so. Actually the filters, while not featuring the ear piercing sound on high resonance values, remind me off the ones in Z3TA 2, sort of have a pretty digital edge to them, which can be a bit harsh. The supersaw sounds good, but, not better than the one in Spire, or in Sylenth1, IMO. Filter envelope isn't bad either, but, i already have that better too. What i find great is that you have tooltips, when you hover the mouse over a control, that is exemplary (who needs a manual that way?). I can't quite see though, why people find that the name says it all, and the operation is very "rapid". I don't find it faster than other synths, some things are even more tedious (for example the phase control, especially as, in the init setup, the phase is set to reset, and you always have to set it too 100% again).

All in all, yeah, good synth. But, for that price, it should offer me some arguments why i should choose it over my existing synths. It doesn't. But, i have to admit, that less and less new synths do. Avenger isn't really worth the expense for me too, i have synths which sound better, and i don't need the whole workstation appeal, i can always just replicate that, just like with the layers in Rapid, by just using multiple instances of the synth. Just my 2c, YMMV, IMHO, and consult my lawyer in case you felt offended. :hihi:

Nonetheless, i wish both developers all the best with their synths, two more quality synths "made in germany", which is cool, and shows that we really have a stronghold here in that regard. :tu:
I like the fast operation, spread over the 8 layers. Everything per layer is just nice. And i really like the quality of the wavetables. Top notch.

chk071 wrote: in the init setup, the phase is set to reset, and you always have to set it too 100% again.
In case you are only making supersaws, yes you have :)

Rapid and Spire nearly replaced Virus TI for me. Spire does VA and hypersaws, Rapid does wavetables (and VA and hypersaws too). It's wavetable controls are not as fullblown as in Virus but the whole synth has lovely warm, fat and rounded tone so even when you are making sounds which are supposed to be digital and sterile, they still sound somehow organic.

EDIT: i swear that I don't intentionally synchronise my posts with exmatproton :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Dasheesh wrote:I don't know how I missed it till now, but I was just like.. I'm in, I went to buy Rapid and realized it was PC only :(. So no sale for me. I'll have to buy in if a Mac version becomes available.
I heard they are working on the Mac version now, hopefully it will be soon.

@ exmatproton and recursive one: Fair enough. I'll surely keep the demo installed, and will fiddle with it some more the next days. It's just, when you already have like 6 or 7 synths, which also basically do the same (ok, Rapid has other wavetables), then it's just hard to get something, which you feel is superior to anything you have already, so, kind of difficult to justify a big expense. :)

You know, I'm looking at this thread title again and I'm saying to myself, "Why are we comparing a workstation like do it all synth to a monophonic synth?"

Am I the only one who thinks this makes as much sense as comparing Angelina Joli to grapefruit?

wagtunes wrote: comparing Angelina Joli to grapefruit
So which one of these do you prefer?

Grapefruit!

recursive one wrote:
wagtunes wrote: comparing Angelina Joli to grapefruit
So which one of these do you prefer?
I am not going there. lol

wagtunes wrote:You know, I'm looking at this thread title again and I'm saying to myself, "Why are we comparing a workstation like do it all synth to a monophonic synth?"

Am I the only one who thinks this makes as much sense as comparing Angelina Joli to grapefruit?
Rapid isn't monophonic so I am not sure what you mean.

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:You know, I'm looking at this thread title again and I'm saying to myself, "Why are we comparing a workstation like do it all synth to a monophonic synth?"

Holy crap. What a brain fart I just had. I had just come from the Repro thread and for some reason replaced Rapid with Repro in my head and said "This doesn't make any sense". Well now I know why it didn't make any sense.. :dog:

wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:

Holy crap. What a brain fart I just had. I had just come from the Repro thread and for some reason replaced Rapid with Repro in my head and said "This doesn't make any sense". Well now I know why it didn't make any sense.. :dog:
:hihi:

I just saw at another forum somebody asking if there is any difference between Massive and Monark and if it worth buying another if you have one of them.

Return to “Instruments”