New Korg: MONOLOGUE ..... analog monosynth for 299

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote:Features wise in most respects it beats both microbrute and minibrute. 2 oscillators, sync, PWM, motion sequencer etc etc.
MicroBrute does PWM. It may have "one" oscillator in terms of pitch tracking, though it generates foldable triangles, a quasi multi-saw, pulse and subs. While it can't do sync or ringmod or actual detuning, it easily sound thicker than one oscillator normally does.

And there's all the CV stuff, which is about to become extremely relevant to my interests as soon as FedEx drops off a package for me today :D And I prefer its filter by far over what I'm hearing from the Monologue.
Not forgeting the UltraSaw and Brute factor

Looks great and good for the price but not the sound I'm after as I am more than happy with the Korg Arp. If I was going to buy another monosynth it would have to sound fat like the Pro one then I'd buy it in an instant. Would like to see Volca mk2's, the first ones are very good but could do with better convertors, usb connectivity and wider palette with better sample storage and loading options on the sampler.

grabme wrote:Would like to see Volca mk2's, the first ones are very good but could do with better convertors
what convertors ?

I REALLY like it ;) I've been waiting for a 25-key acid oriented synth within my price range ;) As soon as I (finally) get my hands on a Mininova, this one's next :) There is a market for such a synth, don't worry.

On a different note, I'd like a lot more variety within the Volca series. I'm waiting for a chiptune Volca with patch memory ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Daags wrote:
grabme wrote:Would like to see Volca mk2's, the first ones are very good but could do with better convertors
what convertors ?
Well in the case of the sampler the digital to analog converters are a bit noisy, the rest of the range could do with less floor noise or gate.

AnX wrote:
foosnark wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote:Features wise in most respects it beats both microbrute and minibrute. 2 oscillators, sync, PWM, motion sequencer etc etc.
MicroBrute does PWM. It may have "one" oscillator in terms of pitch tracking, though it generates foldable triangles, a quasi multi-saw, pulse and subs. While it can't do sync or ringmod or actual detuning, it easily sound thicker than one oscillator normally does.

And there's all the CV stuff, which is about to become extremely relevant to my interests as soon as FedEx drops off a package for me today :D And I prefer its filter by far over what I'm hearing from the Monologue.
Not forgeting the UltraSaw and Brute factor
I'm not putting the Brutes down, just pointing out that this synth has some big features they don't (patch memory is another) AND it's €100 cheaper than the Minibrute.

Monologue has ring modulation, while Mini/Microbrute doesn't, but the Brute's envelope is more complete (ADSR)... They don't fully overlap feature-wise and none of them is definitely better than the other choices, I think it really goes down to personal taste.

I think there's room for both: slightly different character, slightly different feature set... It's nice to have a choice of the synth that suits you most.

It's probably boring for people who already have some monosynths (I'm not interested in buying it), but it's cool for people starting out or in need of a cheap monosynth.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

How does this compare to a used Moog Phatty? Looking for a nice monosynth for prog rock leads (see sig) and was seriously considering a used Moog Phatty and then this comes along, not to mention Behringer will probably end up making a mono synth. Should probably note whatever I get would be my first actual analog synth, so any advice would be appreciated, especially for a wider variety of lead sounds that can both cut through a dense mix, but also bring warmth to a sparse one.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

sin night wrote: It's probably boring for people who already have some monosynths (I'm not interested in buying it), but it's cool for people starting out or in need of a cheap monosynth.
I think you're on to something. Looking at Korg's own product description, I find this geared towards bedroom studios and YouTube guitarists in need of a cheap yet powerful machine to run in the background and to provide enough backup for the main act. So it's trying to pull in new crowds.

I really dig Korg's approach, and honestly, it works. As a bass player getting his feet wet in the synth world, this unit makes more sense to me than any other regular mono. The mere fact the keybed goes from E to E makes it more user friendly (at first the synth keybeds felt so backwards, heh).
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

transmetropolitan wrote: Features wise in most respects it beats both microbrute and minibrute. 2 oscillators, sync, PWM, motion sequencer etc etc.

It's not adding anything massively exciting to the market perhaps but from my perspective it looks like a strong addition.
Exactly on point... I was etching for micro brute, but the itch is over. Saving presets, motion sequencing, along easy-to-use sequencer ... already preordered one.

sin night wrote:Monologue has ring modulation, while Mini/Microbrute doesn't, but the Brute's envelope is more complete (ADSR)... They don't fully overlap feature-wise and none of them is definitely better than the other choices, I think it really goes down to personal taste.
Well totally agree.. but as usually Korg gives us one-shot-LFO which can do pretty good filter envelope. The issue I cannot control the LFO with velocity.

What's the expected date of delivery for the first batch ?
I'm curious to read users' reviews... :hyper:

I've pre-ordered one and been told the estimated delivery for here in Australia is mid to late January.
We're usually the last place to get new gear, so maybe earlier elsewhere?
I'm hoping Korg have covered early demand and the Monologue will drop everywhere around the same time though.

But, but, but... There IS already another synth called MONOLOGUE!... -- the Steinberg Monologue! -- wasn't it Korg (or was it Roland?) that didn't allow software emulations to use their old classic models names? :-P
I thing Korg and Steinberg, instead of having 2 separate monologues should have a dialogue between each other! :-D
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Check out my sound demos of the KORG Monologue :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... y4KVFB7oP1
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”