RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

While we are at it, what about this?
recursive one wrote:If anything, I vote for true FM between oscillators like in Serum before any other additions.
I know it was promised to be implemented in distant future, if at all, and to my understanding it can be simulated to some extent by PM osc FX or probably even by modulating the pitch by very fast LFO (is the latter techncially correct? can the LFOs in Rapid do audio rate modulation?) but it would really be much welcomed addition for me.
Last edited by recursive one on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

If i had to guess, then i would say sustain pedal support absolutely does not matter for the musical genres presented in the vids. :P

i don't like edm, but i think this synth will fit so much more styles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5eOjFdZeRg

How do i keytrack lfo rate? If i set lfo rate to the frequency of C1 (about 32.7Hz), can i set things up so that when i hit E, lfo rate jumps exactly to 41.2 Hz? I guess i need to select keyfollow as the mod source but what about the amount?

Tried the demo. RAPID sounds great and I was able to make some pretty interesting sounds pretty quickly. I was wondering if it was possible to add per layer panning to the mixture section. Right now it just seems that you can adjust the volume. With multiple layers I would like to see the panning in relation to each other instead of flipping through the layers.

ravasb wrote:Tried the demo. RAPID sounds great and I was able to make some pretty interesting sounds pretty quickly. I was wondering if it was possible to add per layer panning to the mixture section. Right now it just seems that you can adjust the volume. With multiple layers I would like to see the panning in relation to each other instead of flipping through the layers.
Not on that screen, but on each layer you could add the "Balancer" in the Effects section, which lets you pan the layer. It would be nice to have a pan control on that Mix screen, but at least you can see the L/R balance there.

Examigan wrote:
ravasb wrote:Tried the demo. RAPID sounds great and I was able to make some pretty interesting sounds pretty quickly. I was wondering if it was possible to add per layer panning to the mixture section. Right now it just seems that you can adjust the volume. With multiple layers I would like to see the panning in relation to each other instead of flipping through the layers.
Not on that screen, but on each layer you could add the "Balancer" in the Effects section, which lets you pan the layer. It would be nice to have a pan control on that Mix screen, but at least you can see the L/R balance there.
Thanks for the tip!

I've just tested Rapid. Unfortunately there weren't that many presets in the demo version. But the ones I tried were loading horribly slow.
Rapid sounded pretty bright to me when I first heard a sound but not in a good way. I was about to close it but read this thread and figured out it is the filter treble. This should be set to a lower amount in default.

One thing I like in Avenger is that the waveform is constantly filling up the whole width of the display and I can see the transformations. Rapid has this single-cicle waveform display too for each osc but its content changes (in terms of width) when a different note is playing. This is reasonable because the different frequencies. But the waveform of a low note gets cut and the high ones get too small to see details. Is it possible to have an option that it behaves like Avenger and stay fixed? The current handling is not so good when playing arps or chords.

aMUSEd wrote:
parawave wrote:
sacer wrote:what about aftertouch as source in modulation ?
AT, Channel Pressure, MPE, Sustain Pedal and all that MIDI specific stuff will be addressed in a minor update. It won't be announced as big feature, but depending on priority it will be added bit by bit. Not every customer has polyphonic AT or the ROLI Seaboard with MPE. It's a bit rare, so the priority there is lower then, let's say wavetable import.
You need to rethink your priorities, sustain pedal and aftertouch are essential for all keyboard players, not just 'rare' cases - you are demonstrating some worrying unfamiliarity with the needs of musicians here.
aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I can't see the point of any additions to import without basic playability first. Their priorities are all wrong.
No their priorities just don't cover with yours. That's a difference! :wink: To me the wavetable and sample import has priority to make it usable in my tracks.
And my point was, why would this make them 'usable' if you can't even play them properly on a keyboard?
In my case: I love the piano roll. Probably like many others too :wink: I use my keyboard to quickly compose a melody but not to play complex arrangements...
This is the problem - clearly some developers have lost touch with the needs of musicians that can play instruments and are getting too focused on mouse driven composition.

Completely agree! When you have a synth capable of continuously modulating evolving soundscapes you'd want them lasting longer than just the release phase!

And I could care less about WT and sample import! No need for it. :P :shrug:

parawave wrote:Actually the sustain pedal message and all other 128 MIDI messages are selectable as modulation source within Rapid.

It's just that the "hold" of notes is not implemented. Some host like FL Studio let you choose the option
"Support hold and sostenuto", which does exactly what everyone is asking for - holding notes. In my opinion every DAW should handle that automatically. Unfortunately, this now requires an additional button, which will be there in an update. It's not that hard, but Mac has a higher priority.
If you don't want to wait, you could also use Source: MIDI CC64 on Target: Envelope A > Release Time. Which mimics that behavior, but is not true infinite hold.

That's rubbish! You don't need a 'hold' button (and I don't know of any DAW that has 'hold' functionality!) You just have to let the synth 'listen' to CC64 and defer note-off. Simple!

question:

doe rapid only have the morph knob to mangle the wave file?
unlike Serum which has more? and even avenger?

just curious cause was wondering, still unsure to get it cause i like the sound a lot.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:question:

doe rapid only have the morph knob to mangle the wave file?
unlike Serum which has more? and even avenger?

just curious cause was wondering, still unsure to get it cause i like the sound a lot.
Per osc there is a wt morph knob. So that is 8x3=24 morph knobs... :tu:

recursive one wrote:If anything, I vote for true FM between oscillators like in Serum before any other additions.
Not sure what do you mean by true FM. You already now can FM any wave. In fact, what musical benefits you get by modulating wavatable with wavatable? Lol. By now you can fm any wave with sine, which is the most musical way.
However, if your point was to have various waves as a source for modulation, you can do this already now. Just midulate the fm knob with LFO!

Igro wrote:
Not sure what do you mean by true FM. You already now can FM any wave. In fact, what musical benefits you get by modulating wavatable with wavatable? Lol. By now you can fm any wave with sine, which is the most musical way.
However, if your point was to have various waves as a source for modulation, you can do this already now. Just midulate the fm knob with LFO!
I mean the carrier/modulator design where both can be any waveform. E.g., Dicovery Pro (and i think Nordlead too) allows using different shapes for the modulator osc, such as saw, square, etc. Virus TI and Serum use the same design but have much more waveforms available for the modulator.

I don't agree that only sine may be useful as the modulator, I often make sounds in Virus where I use saw or a transition between sine and saw for that, and in this Serum tutorial the guy does exactly what you are talking about - modulates a WT with a WT (look at 1:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IJ6vmhv3s

I recreated this sound in Rapid using LFO to pitch modulation but since I didn't figure out how to properly keytrack the LFO rate the playability of my sound is restricted since the LFO rate always corresponds to note E (or it may change atonally) .

Afaik, the PM fx in Rapid is not exactly the same thing as FM, But yes, making other waveforms available as the modulator would be a great start.
Igro wrote:However, if your point was to have various waves as a source for modulation, you can do this already now.Just midulate the fm knob with LFO!
Thanks, wil try this. How do I set up LFO rate and the modulation amount for starters?

zxant wrote:…I could care less about WT and sample import!
I guess you meant "I couldn't care less about WT and sample import"? ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”