Sample Slicer and Rearranger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everything fits half the criteria if you want to be that picky.

Schmidi wrote:
@ Topaz: Everything suggested in this thread fit those criteria.

SugarBytes Looperator

discoDSP wrote:Bliss :) It can export the slices to MIDI so it's a perfect tool for you.

http://www.discodsp.com/bliss/
Didn't know about this either. I like that it exports slices to midi. Great feature. But will it rearrange / randomize the slices of the sequence? That's actually the main function I'm looking for. (Although it's still interesting to hear of other slicers out there)

What about iced audio Audiofinder?

Just wanted to point out that Egoist has a randomize function ... so after you load up your sample, you can randomize which slices match up to which midi keys. :tu:

Notron User wrote:What about iced audio Audiofinder?
You are right! I just checked and found out there is a 'Shuffle Slices' button and confirmed watching youtube it does rearrange slices. Thanks for bringing this up.

OP: Once you decide on a slicer, I hope you'll post a sample here of what you're trying to do. I'm curious to hear the results!

Naenyn wrote:Just wanted to point out that Egoist has a randomize function ... so after you load up your sample, you can randomize which slices match up to which midi keys. :tu:
Yeah, I'm strongly considering Egoist as it has a lot of different options for randomizing and altering the slices. Btw, I'm mainly just trying to take pieces of loops I like because often times I might not be into the loop as much as just a part of it. And as you can see, I'm just looking for some instant audition ideas to get my workflow going for me to generate my own ideas.
ErikH wrote:You may want to have a look at New Sonic Art's Vice.

Their interfaces are minimal but everything is well designed. I do not have Vice myself - I'm interested but have other priorities - but I do have Nuance and Granite, and I can say I never had problems with NSA. Their plugins have never been 'abandonware' and get regular updates.

https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/vice.php

Vice looks very straight forward and nicely featured with it's modulations. Quite attractive. No rearrange feature, but a cool slicer nonetheless.

Great suggestions for Rearrangers. I will say that I've used Geist and while it's pretty cool, it's Remix function is very lame. Not sure if Geist 2 has auto randomize/rearrange function, but I didn't take to Geist as much as I hoped.
Michael L wrote:MuLab will auto-slice a sample and auto-map each slice to the keyboard, and you can edit the slice points. You can play slices using the midi sequencer, and use the randomize module on any parameter; or you can play the slices on your keyboard in different orders.
Looks like MuLab does have a function called 'Make Unique Sequence'. I haven't seen it in action, but I imagine it rearranges the slices/sequence.

skyscape wrote:Check out Redux. It has good slicing and mapping options as well as a phrasing engine (tracker style though, not piano roll). Not sure about randomisations but it wouldn't surprise me if those were possible too.
I'll have to look into it's phrasing engine and if it rearranges the slices.

topaz wrote:Egoist does not slice loops correctly, no unity. It reconstructs the loop to fit it's limitation.
I'm not sure I understand how Egoist works. Can you elaborate? So far it seems to have the most options for rearranging slices in a sequence and it. Are you saying that it doesn't detect the slice points of a sample accurately?

If you take ie a 1 bar break beat it will never slice it and play back how it sounds originally.

Transfuser 2 does this, and yes audiofinder does too but that is standalone only.

There are also some max4live plugins that do this, hyaken slicer, properloop 2, or the new multiclip editor but you need live and Max which undoubtably is the pnnacle of Audio manipulation.

If you want to take a loop and never have it play originally just totally mangle then sure egosys, check the demos.

Just about every Daw one way or another
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I just took a look at transfuser 2 and holy moly it looks like it could compete with geist 2 .

I own several VSTs that can do this, and I'd say Egoist is the best for it. It can be a little finicky to slice depending on the source material, but once you get that set up it's great. You can randomize the sequence and pitch separately, play slices backwards, and do all sorts of other things with the effects. I've found it to be very inspiring in taking a loop, randomising the sequence until I get a bit that I like, then building upon that.

Return to “Instruments”