Receptor 2 pro max replacement drive?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm preparing to clone my current 1 TB drive to future-proof my investment. I need some advice on a replacement drive.

My current drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. It has 32 MB cache, 115 MB/s sustained data rate, and 300 MB/s transfer rate.

I found a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 that has 64 MB cache, 210 MB/s sustained data rate, and 6.0/3.0/1.5 GB/s transfer rate.

Is this a better drive and therefore a good replacement?

it would work .but it would be better to replace your the current drive with an ssd and use it as a backup and the ssd as a main drive.
Andy

Thought about that but cloning to a smaller drive might be a bigger challenge than my skill set. Any pointers on how I can learn to do that?

Hi
I would make a clone using a similar disk as you planed.
Then get a 500GB Ssd.
Plug in a usb stick with unetbootin installed and boot your recepter from that.(i have posted before about this so do a forum search)
onnce you have cloned the receptors drive remove the original drive and boot from the clone.
now you can safeley use the applications on unetbootin to shrink the partition of the drive now in your receptor to just under 500Gb (will only work if used space on the drive is under 500Gb).once you have done this you can use ghost for linux on the unetbootin distro to clone the partition you shrank onto a 500 Gb ssd once that is done swap out the drive that you shrank for the ssd.no you have an ssd plus a backup plus the original.Safe as houses as they say.Regards Andy

Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I'll study your other thread and see if I'm smart enough to do what you've suggested.

Greg

Hi
the prices of ssd disks are geting lower and lower .You could just clone your drive to another similar drive as in your original plan so you can sleep at night.And wait for the prices of ssds to get low enough for you to buy a TBite ssd i recon another 6 months.If your cloning from a source that is the same size as the target i would sugest you get a startech disk cloner they are very reliable and are quite cheap i use one nowadays for my 4 receptors.The hard drives in Receptirs are very difficult to get out ,the screws are glued in.I found that in 2 of my units it was better to leave the old spinning drive inside and use it as a backup.I just diconected it and left it in the unit and connected the ssd to the Mainboard.On one of the units i drilled out the Hd mounting screws i wouldnt recomend this it made me sweat ille tell you.Either way an ssd will give your unit a new lease of life it makes the units boot and run a hell of a lot faster and also makes them more reliable.
Good luck Andy

Andy,

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses. Good ideas.

I grabbed the Inatek disk cloner. We'll see how that works.

Greg

Finally found the courage to clone this drive. I was scared that something would go wrong.

Purchased the Samsung drive (1 TB Barracuda), around $50, used the Inateck docking station with offline clone function (under $40). Also bought a $6 SATA extention cable (to avoid removing the drive from the Receptor).

It took less than 4 hours but the cloned drive tested fine and booted up in the Receptor just like the original. Now I can sleep well at night knowing my Receptor is backed up. Was a big concern since Muse is MIA now.

Thanks to Andy for the help!

Greg

Return to “Muse Research and Development”