Hive Preset Question

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You just soloed osc2 but not also filter2. In this patch the self-oscillation of filter1 acts like another oscillator and so you hear that. If you solo filter2 it is gone. You have to solo filter2 AND osc2 because filter1 acts here like it´s being another osc. I hope my explaination isn´t too confusing.

Teksonik wrote:Yes on Osc 1 but Osc 2 is soloed. Look at the settings on Osc 2. It seems like Filter 1 is "bleeding through" to Filter 2. Filter 1 is not selected as active in Osc 2 nor is Osc 2 selected as active in Osc 1. :?
No, it's simply filter 1 self-oscillation. The fact that OSC2 is soloed makes no difference.
(Ah, I see that Beachboy beat me to it).

Soloing an oscillator only means that all other oscillators are muted, while soloing a filter means that the other filter is muted, so there's no reason why a self-oscillating filter 1 shouldn't be audible in "Odd Patch".

Howard wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Yes on Osc 1 but Osc 2 is soloed. Look at the settings on Osc 2. It seems like Filter 1 is "bleeding through" to Filter 2. Filter 1 is not selected as active in Osc 2 nor is Osc 2 selected as active in Osc 1. :?
No, it's simply filter 1 self-oscillation. The fact that OSC2 is soloed makes no difference.
(Ah, I see that Beachboy beat me to it).

Soloing an oscillator only means that all other oscillators are muted, while soloing a filter means that the other filter is muted, so there's no reason why a self-oscillating filter 1 shouldn't be audible in "Odd Patch".
Ahh ok that makes perfect sense, thanks. I was looking at each side of Hive as a unit rather than each module being separate............ :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:I was looking at each side of Hive as a unit rather than each module being separate............ :)
I thought it wasn't clear to you that oscillator solo and filter solo are independent of each other. I'll have another look at the appropriate section of the manual...

(EDIT) Indeed, it could be misconstrued. I'll improve that bit :-).

Howard,can you explain why filter 2 doesn't self-oscillate?

Great question! Or "why is Filter1 self-oscillating in Odd Patch"?
I think I finally understand what was disturbing Teksonik. Experimented a bit...

1) Deactivating all input to a filter defeats self-oscillation.
2) Filter1 can self-oscillate with an active source (e.g. OSC1), even if its volume is set to zero!
3) Filter2, however, requires that the volume of the source is set to 0.01 or higher.

Howard wrote: 2) Filter1 can self-oscillate with an active source (e.g. OSC1), even if its volume is set to zero!

Now if I turn off all inputs on filter1,and turn on osc1 input on filter 2 I'm hearing the self-oscillating from filter1?

Howard wrote: I thought it wasn't clear to you that oscillator solo and filter solo are independent of each other. I'll have another look at the appropriate section of the manual...

(EDIT) Indeed, it could be misconstrued. I'll improve that bit :-).
It wasn't clear to me and to be honest I can't blame the manual since I didn't read that part. I have a short attention span for RTFM. :oops: :hihi: ( I did look at the signal flow chart which does make sense).

What threw me was on all the other softsynths I have owned and have programmed from Alchemy all the way to Zebra 2 if you solo one part it mutes the other parts. I didn't think to Solo Filter 2 since it's volume is set to zero. I understand now in Hive it's not really Part A and Part B but a more modular architecture which of course improves flexibility.
Howard wrote:Great question! Or "why is Filter1 self-oscillating in Odd Patch"?
I think I finally understand what was disturbing Teksonik. Experimented a bit...

1) Deactivating all input to a filter defeats self-oscillation.
2) Filter1 can self-oscillate with an active source (e.g. OSC1), even if its volume is set to zero!
3) Filter2, however, requires that the volume of the source is set to 0.01 or higher.
Yes I can confirm that here. I guess I was just thinking that I've soloed Osc 2 so that should mute Osc 1 including it's flow to Filter 1. Anyway thanks to everybody for looking into this, I've learned something and that's always a good thing. I'm loving Hive as it sounds great and is a lot of fun to program. Can't ask anything more than that out of a synth. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “u-he”